• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buchardt S400 Speaker Review

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Everything has a trade-off in speakers. The trade-offs of larger, multi-way speakers are less precise imaging and comb filtering.

I haven't heard any Wilsons, but I also don't hear what he's describing. The imaging is between the speakers and not low to the ground, and the mid-range is very neutral and certainly not missing. I do agree with them that there isn't any added zing to these speakers which is why I made mention of what I think their preference is. But, I prefer it that way because I use Dynamic EQ.

I noticed that they have a 20 ft tall ceiling in their listening room. That will certainly affect the perception of image height as there will be hardly any vertical reflections.

Last edited:

Mark_A

I noticed that they have a 20 ft tall ceiling in their listening room. That will certainly affect the perception of image height as there will be hardly any vertical reflections.
That's true, and I don't recall what stands they used. I am not usually picky about the speaker appearance, but the Buchardt stands are not something I would buy, just based on looks. Doesn't look like they would be all that stable either.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's true, and I don't recall what stands they used. I am not usually picky about the speaker appearance, but the Buchardt stands are not something I would buy, just based on looks. Doesn't look like they would be all that stable either.
These?

They are a tripod design so much more stable than single posts.

That said I don't think they used them.

Mark_A

These?

They are a tripod design so much more stable than single posts.

That said I don't think they used them.
Most single post stands that are filled with sand are more stable than the tripod IMO. But I just don't like the looks of the tripod. When you figure in the cost of the stands, I prefer to get a floor standing speaker.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Most single post stands that are filled with sand are more stable than the tripod IMO.
Tripods are used by photographers and surveyors for stability. A single post can never be as stable as a tripod.

With that said, in my opinion it doesn't matter for audio playback, but if you need them to keep your kids/pets from knocking them over, then great. Your speaker isn't exhibiting nearly enough lateral movement to benefit from it, but of course in theory, it is better.

mSpot

the Audio Excellence reviewers are probably all over 50 years of age (maybe closer to 60 or above), so their ability to hear the deep bass notes are restricted
Typically loss of hearing occurs in high frequencies, not low frequencies. Ask me how I know!
"Most often, it affects the ability to hear high-pitched noises such as a phone ringing or beeping of a microwave. The ability to hear low-pitched noises is usually not affected."

Mark_A

Tripods are used by photographers and surveyors for stability. A single post can never be as stable as a tripod.

With that said, in my opinion it doesn't matter for audio playback, but if you need them to keep your kids/pets from knocking them over, then great. Your speaker isn't exhibiting nearly enough lateral movement to benefit from it, but of course in theory, it is better.
A speaker stand that is filled with sand (or lead shot) lowers the center of gravity, making the speaker/stand combination more stable. Obviously, it also needs a reasonably wide base at the bottom for stability purposes. A tripod design, although it had a wide 3-point legs, does not lower the center of gravity.

As a long time photographer, I would not say tripods are primarily used for stability (or at least not used from keeping the camera from falling over), They are for keeping the camera as still as possible only while taking the picture, which is important to prevent blurred images at shutter speeds slower than 1/125 second (such slower shutter speeds are more common with large cameras). Same with survey tripods. In fact, for many years I owned a wooden tripod for a large camera that was made from a survey tripod with a camera tripod head attached to it. Even though the legs were wood, it had sharply pointed metal spikes with a small piece about 6 inches from the tip sticking out so that the photographer (or surveyor) could step on it to the drive the metal tips into the soil to make the tripod sturdy, because by itself, a tripod is not particularly sturdy.

Here are some pictures of the exact same Zone VI tripod I owned (without the tripod camera head which can be bought separately).

Mark_A

Typically loss of hearing occurs in high frequencies, not low frequencies. Ask me how I know!
"Most often, it affects the ability to hear high-pitched noises such as a phone ringing or beeping of a microwave. The ability to hear low-pitched noises is usually not affected."
The ability to hear low pitched sounds when one gets older is somewhat "relative" as to what is meant by "ability to hear." It is true that age-related hearing loss does not usually substantially affect one's perceived decibel level of bass frequencies as we age, but it does affect how bass frequencies sound.

"An elderly person tends to lose perception of high frequencies of sound. Yet, lower frequencies, like those in the bass and drums of rock music, become magnified and distorted.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
a long time photographer, I would not say tripods are primarily used for stability (or at least not used from keeping the camera from falling over), They are for keeping the camera as still as possible only while taking the picture, which is important to prevent blurred images at shutter speeds slower than 1/125 second (such slower shutter speeds are more common with large cameras). Same with survey tripods. In fact, for many years I owned a wooden tripod for a large camera that was made from a survey tripod with a camera tripod head attached to it. Even though the legs were wood, it had sharply pointed metal spikes with a small piece about 6 inches from the tip sticking out so that the photographer (or surveyor) could step on it to the drive the metal tips into the soil to make the tripod sturdy, because by itself, a tripod is not particularly sturdy.
My point is that the tripod resists lateral forces, while the monopod does not. Presumably the benefit is to stabilize the speaker in space. As you mentioned, the physics are the same whether we're using a speaker or a camera.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A speaker stand that is filled with sand (or lead shot) lowers the center of gravity, making the speaker/stand combination more stable. Obviously, it also needs a reasonably wide base at the bottom for stability purposes. A tripod design, although it had a wide 3-point legs, does not lower the center of gravity
You can hang a stone bag from the middle that adds weight to the legs. I can do this with my Robus carbon fiber tripod.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Apparently Vilip at Audio Excellence likes a warm, lush sound. Their words. This confirms what I thought: neutral speakers designed around good measurements are not their style.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Apparently Vilip at Audio Excellence likes a warm, lush sound. Their words. This confirms what I thought: neutral speakers designed around good measurements are not their style.
That was my initial thought when I listened to him speaking about a McIntosh class D amp: it's hypex based, so we can assume it is basically clean and makes any neutral speaker sound, well, neutral.

Mark_A

Could you provide a link of that quote (such as YouTube link at the relevant point in the video), or link to other comments he made.

Here are the problems I have with your conclusion.

1. Even if Vilip said such a thing, he is just of the three. But Vilip personally owns a Magnepan, and has previously owned Martin Logan, both of which are very neutral. He is also a fan of JBL, especially the classic ones (I think he owns a pair of those stashed away somewhere).

2. Adrian (the store owner) personally owns the Wilson Alex (or one of those very expensive Wilson's similar to it), which is one of the most brutally revealing and neutral speakers ever made. It's ugly as hell, but it is neutral.

3. Louis (or Lewis, not sure) personally owns the Dynaudio Special Forty, a 2-way stand mounted speaker, which is relatively neutral (being Danish and all, like the Buchardt).

4. There were two other employees behind the camera who didn't particularly think there was anything special about the Buchardt either.

I think their comments were partly caused by all the rave reviews others gave it, so they were likewise expecting to also like it, but they didn't understand what the hoopla was about. In a new YouTube video just recently released, AE bought a brand new pair with their own money, and are testing it against the old pair they evaluated. So far, they are convinced that the new pair and old pair sound the same, but they will give the new pair a second listening test in a future video.

I don't always agree with their evaluations, but I don't always agree with anyone's evaluations. One of the big problems with their evaluation, is that they don't normally sell speakers in that price range, so the stuff they like is usually more high-end and more capable. AE obtained the original S400 as a trade-in, so that's why they reviewed it. They say they have a policy of not reviewing components they don't own (either as a dealer, or in their previously-owned inventory).

Mark_A

That was my initial thought when I listened to him speaking about a McIntosh class D amp: it's hypex based, so we can assume it is basically clean and makes any neutral speaker sound, well, neutral.
I don't know anyone who prefers a Class D amp over Class A or class A/B, except that Class D for the same power output is much less expensive, is much more compact, and develops much less heat. The McIntosh Class D amp is designed for multi-channel home theater use, where absolutely best fidelity is not so critical in the rear or side channels.

Please don't try and tell me that if you won $200 million in the lottery, that you would be buying a Class D amp for your best 2-channel stereo system. Please don't tell me that.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I do. As with any other device, it depends on how the amp has been designed and built.

The whole "it's home theatre, it does not matter" is bullshit: distortion and noise are distortion and noise no matter the source.

Class D amps like Purifi or Hypex sound as good as a quality class AB. With the advantage of better efficiency in less space with a better idle use of energy.

I'd rather spend in better speakers than in a non-issue that amps are today.

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Could you provide a link of that quote (such as YouTube link at the relevant point in the video), or link to other comments he made.

Here are the problems I have with your conclusion.

1. Even if Vilip said such a thing, he is just of the three. But Vilip personally owns a Magnepan, and has previously owned Martin Logan, both of which are very neutral. He is also a fan of JBL, especially the classic ones (I think he owns a pair of those stashed away somewhere).

2. Adrian (the store owner) personally owns the Wilson Alex (or one of those very expensive Wilson's similar to it), which is one of the most brutally revealing and neutral speakers ever made. It's ugly as hell, but it is neutral.

3. Louis (or Lewis, not sure) personally owns the Dynaudio Special Forty, a 2-way stand mounted speaker, which is relatively neutral (being Danish and all, like the Buchardt).

4. There were two other employees behind the camera who didn't particularly think there was anything special about the Buchardt either.

I think their comments were partly caused by all the rave reviews others gave it, so they were likewise expecting to also like it, but they didn't understand what the hoopla was about. In a new YouTube video just recently released, AE bought a brand new pair with their own money, and are testing it against the old pair they evaluated. So far, they are convinced that the new pair and old pair sound the same, but they will give the new pair a second listening test in a future video.

I don't always agree with their evaluations, but I don't always agree with anyone's evaluations. One of the big problems with their evaluation, is that they don't normally sell speakers in that price range, so the stuff they like is usually more high-end and more capable. AE obtained the original S400 as a trade-in, so that's why they reviewed it. They say they have a policy of not reviewing components they don't own (either as a dealer, or in their previously-owned inventory).
Not sure what to make of this review? Then hop a ride to cool, relaxing Phoenix Arizona on August 27 to hear the the S400 II and a bunch of other stand mounts sponsored by the Arizona Audio/Video Club. I'll be there to annoy and confuse. Here's the lineup:
  1. ATC SCM 11, Courtesy of Lone Mountain Audio, Brad Lunde, Leland Leard
  2. KLH Model 5, Courtesy of KLH Audio, Jeff Dano
  3. KEF R3, Courtesy of OmniClassic Recording, Ben Taylor
  4. Sonus Faber Lumina II, Courtesy of Dedicated Audio, Dan & Matt Harmon
  5. Totem Sky, Courtesy of LMC Entertainment, Mike Ware, Paul Henningsen
  6. Philharmonic BMR Monitors, Courtesy of Philharmonic Audio, Dennis Murphy
  7. Polk Audio Legend L200, Courtesy of Polk Audio, George Klopfer
  8. LSA Signature 80, Courtesy of LSA Audio, Walter Liederman
  9. Tekton Design Impact Monitors, Courtesy of Woolsons Audio, Larry Woolson
  10. Monitor Audio 100 Gold, Courtesy of Dedicated Audio, Dan Harmon
  11. Buchardt Audio S400 MkII, Courtesy of Mads Buchardt
  12. Triangle Comete 40th Anniversary, Courtesy of Frank Gazzo
  13. GoldenEar BRX, Courtesy of Chris Volk, GoldenEar Technology
  14. GR-Research X-LS Encore, Courtesy of Stephen Scharf

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure what to make of this review? Then hop a ride to cool, relaxing Phoenix Arizona on August 27 to hear the the S400 II and a bunch of other stand mounts sponsored by the Arizona Audio/Video Club. I'll be there to annoy and confuse. Here's the lineup:
  1. ATC SCM 11, Courtesy of Lone Mountain Audio, Brad Lunde, Leland Leard
  2. KLH Model 5, Courtesy of KLH Audio, Jeff Dano
  3. KEF R3, Courtesy of OmniClassic Recording, Ben Taylor
  4. Sonus Faber Lumina II, Courtesy of Dedicated Audio, Dan & Matt Harmon
  5. Totem Sky, Courtesy of LMC Entertainment, Mike Ware, Paul Henningsen
  6. Philharmonic BMR Monitors, Courtesy of Philharmonic Audio, Dennis Murphy
  7. Polk Audio Legend L200, Courtesy of Polk Audio, George Klopfer
  8. LSA Signature 80, Courtesy of LSA Audio, Walter Liederman
  9. Tekton Design Impact Monitors, Courtesy of Woolsons Audio, Larry Woolson
  10. Monitor Audio 100 Gold, Courtesy of Dedicated Audio, Dan Harmon
  11. Buchardt Audio S400 MkII, Courtesy of Mads Buchardt
  12. Triangle Comete 40th Anniversary, Courtesy of Frank Gazzo