• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF Reference and Blade Meta announced, but where is the R Meta?????

bo_knows

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Today I went to a local Best Buy and listen to KEF Blade Meta vs B&W 801 D4. :)

I brought my CDs but unfortunately, the KEF Blade system was hooked up to a streamer and was powered by a Devialet amp. The sales guy offered to play a few songs for me on both systems so I could make a comparison. One of the songs was from "Weeknd" and it sounded underwhelmed on both systems. Another song from a different artist wasn't better either but I was able to hear it through each system. Since speakers were not in the same position within the room and were driven by different electronics it was an orange-to-apple comparison. I personally never heard a BIG Blade sounding good so far in any place I auditioned them. It was always too much bass or something else with the setup was not right. This time around, a new position at the Best Buy demo room worked well (positioned against the long wall) and the bass was under control. They created a larger soundstage and better imaging than B&W. I felt like the new Meta version was "ruthlessly" revealing details in the recording. I notice sort of wrap-around and 3D sound effects where B&W didn't create any. I think, in a proper room with great acoustic treatments, Blade Meta would sound fantastic and be the end game speaker. This was not the case at Best Buy but I "saw" potential.
I was able to listen to my CD (Grace Jones, I've seen that face before) on the McIntosh system that was powering B&W. As we played the song, I was focusing mostly on Grace's voice which at the time sounded shouty and there was a noticeable sibilance. Needless to say, I was unable to finish the whole song due to my right ear which is very sensitive to brightness (possibly damaged as well). For whatever it is worth (my subjective opinion), I could hear the difference in a vertical presentation if I moved my head up and down and to some extent side to side on 801 D4. I felt that the midrange (voices) sounded "dry" and the upper frequencies were tilted up. The Bass was good...

Neither systems knock my socks off but it was a rather disappointing performance for Mac and B&W combo which cost approximately $120K. For that kind of money, I want to be in audio heaven.

For fun, see if you guys can guess what was the watt usage on McIntosh monoblock when we played Bowers at 85dB AWG SPL Z weighted at MLP?

Attachments

• IMG_6304.JPG
    IMG_6304.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_6305.JPG
    IMG_6305.JPG
    190.9 KB · Views: 211

Descartes

Major Contributor
Today I went to a local Best Buy and listen to KEF Blade Meta vs B&W 801 D4. :)

I brought my CDs but unfortunately, the KEF Blade system was hooked up to a streamer and was powered by a Devialet amp. The sales guy offered to play a few songs for me on both systems so I could make a comparison. One of the songs was from "Weeknd" and it sounded underwhelmed on both systems. Another song from a different artist wasn't better either but I was able to hear it through each system. Since speakers were not in the same position within the room and were driven by different electronics it was an orange-to-apple comparison. I personally never heard a BIG Blade sounding good so far in any place I auditioned them. It was always too much bass or something else with the setup was not right. This time around, a new position at the Best Buy demo room worked well (positioned against the long wall) and the bass was under control. They created a larger soundstage and better imaging than B&W. I felt like the new Meta version was "ruthlessly" revealing details in the recording. I notice sort of wrap-around and 3D sound effects where B&W didn't create any. I think, in a proper room with great acoustic treatments, Blade Meta would sound fantastic and be the end game speaker. This was not the case at Best Buy but I "saw" potential.
I was able to listen to my CD (Grace Jones, I've seen that face before) on the McIntosh system that was powering B&W. As we played the song, I was focusing mostly on Grace's voice which at the time sounded shouty and there was a noticeable sibilance. Needless to say, I was unable to finish the whole song due to my right ear which is very sensitive to brightness (possibly damaged as well). For whatever it is worth (my subjective opinion), I could hear the difference in a vertical presentation if I moved my head up and down and to some extent side to side on 801 D4. I felt that the midrange (voices) sounded "dry" and the upper frequencies were tilted up. The Bass was good...

Neither systems knock my socks off but it was a rather disappointing performance for Mac and B&W combo which cost approximately $120K. For that kind of money, I want to be in audio heaven.

For fun, see if you guys can guess what was the watt usage on McIntosh monoblock when we played Bowers at 85dB AWG SPL Z weighted at MLP?
Thanks for sharing!

lc155

That sounds like you have hyperacusis, which is a sensitivity to loud/certain sounds. Can happen from damage or other conditions (like TMD). It can be mitigated with treatment, which basically involves regular exposure to the sounds that trigger it and adapting yourself to them again.

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder what the B&Ws sound like with a little EQ to pull down the showroom treble.

bo_knows

That sounds like you have hyperacusis, which is a sensitivity to loud/certain sounds. Can happen from damage or other conditions (like TMD). It can be mitigated with treatment, which basically involves regular exposure to the sounds that trigger it and adapting yourself to them again.
Hello Lc155,

Thank you for bringing this medical term to my attention. Most likely to some degree. I do not feel a sharp pain though, quite the oposite. It's a numing feeling with some pain in the upper jaw bone. I'm assuming this is what ear fatigue feels like. Usually, I'm good for an hour session twice per week, listening at 85dB awg C or Z weighted. After those sessions I may experiance rining in the ear(s) for a few seconds during the 24 hours (I assume nothing serious). Speaker brightnes creates the feeling like my saliva is going to flow in my mounth (like biting a lemon). As you can tell I'm "damage goods". LOL.

bo_knows

To conclude, I found B&W speakers to have a "house sound" or sound signature. I'm sure KEF Blade has one as well but it was not as noticable.
Their vertical dispertion (B&W) would require listener to sit in the optimal position in reqards to the tweeter hight.
Toe-in will help with the brightnes. Any sales person, (and they were few on a different ocasions and in different stores) I asked about sound preference between those two, always picked B&W as favored.

Since no one wanted to guess the wattage that was displayed on the McIntosh monoblock, well let's just say that needle on the VU meter never passed 12Watts. ;):)

bo_knows

I wonder what the B&Ws sound like with a little EQ to pull down the showroom treble.
Probably excellent. I just don't know how would they match the Blade's soundstage and imaging depth.
And what I mean by a large soundstage, was different sounds (reflections in the studio) that would outline the size of the recording space. KEF Blade created an inclusion of the recording venue more believable. A neat trick that I'm a sucker for. :)

steve59

Major Contributor
The B&W 801vx are clearly designed to sound as they do. I do trust JA's measurements from stereophile and have learned some of the individual reviewers preferences by comparing their comments to in room response curves. KR remains a mystery to me:)

The old saying that by the time we can afford a 'hi end' system our hearing will be shot might hold water and B&W customers hear what sounds natural to them. If a company uses measurements as a tool and not a religion it can be quite amazing what some of these guys can do.

My blades are the best so far but they don't have practical limits put on them.

When somebody has say $250 to spend on a pair of speakers some members here will find the ones with the flattest response and pat themselves on the back and call it a day, but there's others that listen to them and decide spl is more important so they buy klipsch or paradigm while some of us want bass so we buy something with a +10db bump at 100 hz. The only wrong answer is if the guy that spent the money isn't happy listening to them.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
The B&W 801vx are clearly designed to sound as they do. I do trust JA's measurements from stereophile and have learned some of the individual reviewers preferences by comparing their comments to in room response curves. KR remains a mystery to me:)
Sometimes, I puzzle myself but the B&Ws have long left my "system." Blade review on the way.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Sometimes, I puzzle myself but the B&Ws have long left my "system." Blade review on the way.
Are you sad you had to let them go? Probably that´s the best summary any reviewer could say from a speaker. ;)

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Are you sad you had to let them go? Probably that´s the best summary any reviewer could say from a speaker. ;)
If I was, I would not have let them go. That said, if I had the ability to accommodate/store more than one set of speakers in my apartment, I would have preferred a smooth transition. The only speakers that I have been sad to let go are those that were just in for review, that I really loved and, yet, could not afford because of the cost and/or the space, e.g., the BeoLab 90.

Descartes

Major Contributor
If I was, I would not have let them go. That said, if I had the ability to accommodate/store more than one set of speakers in my apartment, I would have preferred a smooth transition. The only speakers that I have been sad to let go are those that were just in for review, that I really loved and, yet, could not afford because of the cost and/or the space, e.g., the BeoLab 90.
BeoLab90 are so overpriced!

D

Deleted member 56284

Blade One Meta is truly an end game speaker. Selling my left nut for a pair, any takers?
Still breaking them in. It’s been a long journey. My original matte black ones had shipping damage and scuffed the finish. They upgraded me to the metas. Had that not happened, I was more than satisfied with the originals. So if you find a great deal on originals, I wouldn’t hesitate! There are noticeable changes between them. I still truly can’t give my total honest opinion because my originals were well listened to for a year. These are only three days old.

Attachments

• C8A4710A-DBDF-4DBB-BFB6-A39D0904C3CD.jpeg
    C8A4710A-DBDF-4DBB-BFB6-A39D0904C3CD.jpeg
    219 KB · Views: 119

Arnas

Still breaking them in. It’s been a long journey. My original matte black ones had shipping damage and scuffed the finish. They upgraded me to the metas. Had that not happened, I was more than satisfied with the originals. So if you find a great deal on originals, I wouldn’t hesitate! There are noticeable changes between them. I still truly can’t give my total honest opinion because my originals were well listened to for a year. These are only three days old.
I bet movies sound amazing on those.

D

Deleted member 56284

Yes they do. I’m running a Panasonic ub9000 stripping the hdmi audio through an Altoona Dolby two channel converter then coax into the dac. Absolutely amazing. I’ve always integrated tv and two channel stereo. Never been much for home theater.

Top Bottom