• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research Klipsch RP-600M Upgrade Review (speaker)

Rate this speaker mod:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 5.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 40 20.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 118 61.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 23 12.0%

• Total voters

drplinker

Tubies not used for testing! i.e., this is baseline test, and if Amir gets time to re-test with tube connectors, the truth will be revealed. And something tells me that outcome is not going to be good.

dfuller

Major Contributor
<chuckle> Half the problem is that you said this. The unfixable half is that you live and believe it. [full stop]
I don't particularly appreciate being called stupid, so... ignored. Bye.

m8o

Forum Donor
There is no doubt the x-over was flawed and the new one is objectively and subjectively better.

At the same time I lost count how many tweeters I blew in speakers that used a first order crossover, with modestly powered amps; first with a 70s era 20wpc HK then a 80s era 45wpc NAD reciever. I'm talking on the order of dozens.

noiseangel

Why bother dicking around doing all this rubbish to make a bad speaker slightly more acceptable? Do your homework and buy some decent to start with.

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Why bother dicking around doing all this rubbish to make a bad speaker slightly more acceptable? Do your homework and buy some decent to start with.

Some folks just enjoy their DIY projects. I've done my share of speaker tweaks -- e.g. I made a simple voltage divider to tame the highs on some old JBLs -- but there's no way I'd plunk down $100 for a schematic and a bag of passive components, let alone $200+! GR Research could probably make as much or more profit from making their xover schematics a $20-25 download -- they wouldn't get their big parts mark-up, but they'd get many more mod sales and very likely come out way ahead.

Last edited:

noiseangel

I wouldn't call this a speaker Tweek. It's a terrible speaker to start off with. A pig with lipstick is still a pig. It just has lipstick on it.

alex-z

I wouldn't call this a speaker Tweek. It's a terrible speaker to start off with. A pig with lipstick is still a pig. It just has lipstick on it.

Terrible is a pretty strong word to describe the RP-600M, a single EQ filter to fill the 2000Hz dip turns into a solid performer. It would just compete better at $400 rather than $600.

Actually terrible speakers include stuff like the Polk T15, KEF T101, and Wilson Audio ToneTot, where the frequency response and directivity both suck, so even using EQ barely helps them.

noiseangel

Given the choice for about the same price range, something little DIY, compared to the Klipsch and that upgrade and time spent doing it all you still wouldn't end up anywhere near this. No EQ needed. No Danny upgrade needed. Terrible is an appropriate word for me.

beagleman

Major Contributor
Terrible is a pretty strong word to describe the RP-600M, a single EQ filter to fill the 2000Hz dip turns into a solid performer. It would just compete better at $400 rather than $600.

Actually terrible speakers include stuff like the Polk T15, KEF T101, and Wilson Audio ToneTot, where the frequency response and directivity both suck, so even using EQ barely helps them.
Sounds like some have no idea what bad sound truly is.....lol

Everything to them is great or terrible. There are speakers FAR more flawed than this klipsch. In fact, I would call it okay/good in stock form. Far from horrible.

Nwickliff

Please show the better-performing speaker for less than $540. It has, mostly, a single glaring flaw which was remedied with passive parts and could be remedied even easier with DSP. It's not a pig with lipstick, it's a runner with a limp because of a bad joint. Fix the joint, you have a runner. Please tell me why this speaker is so horrible once the carved-out midrange is fixed. Great directivity, respectable distortion, it looks nice, Has narrow dispersion with insane soundstage accuracy (if you're into that sort of thing). Tell me what makes it rubbish and how you can do better with a passive speaker for $540. If you can't list more than 10 speakers that trump this one, I think maybe you should look in the mirror. 10 speakers out of the thousands made shouldn't be difficult if it's such a pig and complete rubbish.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Please show the better-performing speaker for less than $540.
I reckon this would be a contender... not much more, but much better out of the box;

JSmith

Nwickliff

Given the choice for about the same price range, something little DIY, compared to the Klipsch and that upgrade and time spent doing it all you still wouldn't end up anywhere near this. No EQ needed. No Danny upgrade needed. Terrible is an appropriate word for me.

Dude, that's $800 with the flat pack! And you still have to build it, glue it and paint it or veneer it. It's not gonna look anywhere as good as the RP600M unless you have mad skills, which I don't, AND I believe I have above average skills when it comes to these things. Sorry, $250 more and a lot more work entailed for a lesser-looking product.

Nwickliff

I reckon this would be a contender... not much more, but much better out of the box;

JSmith
Almost twice the price equals not much more on what planet?

tential

Still makes me just wonder about a better speaker rather than "fix" a big box store speaker....
Diysg speakers. They're coming back in stock and are community designed and tested by tons of people. The price of the upgrade is the price of some kits or close to it.... Personally, I'd rather just build 1099, or any Diysg speaker. I've never seen a big box speaker with good enough price to performance to warrant not spending the time to assemble and paint. Jtr speakers is the best deal I've seen, and that's way too expensive for me. One speaker is enough to build all of my dream speaker kits, except the 1899s, that would be two speakers.... If I had the money, sure, but after building the sub woofer and comparing that to big box... I mean... I'd rather have nothing than big box until I can build. It's impossible to go back. I'd buy a computer instead of building one before I buy a speaker instead of building. The returns of building yourself in audio are idiotically good.

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor
Please show the better-performing speaker for less than $540. It has, mostly, a single glaring flaw which was remedied with passive parts and could be remedied even easier with DSP. It's not a pig with lipstick, it's a runner with a limp because of a bad joint. Fix the joint, you have a runner. Please tell me why this speaker is so horrible once the carved-out midrange is fixed. Great directivity, respectable distortion, it looks nice, Has narrow dispersion with insane soundstage accuracy (if you're into that sort of thing). Tell me what makes it rubbish and how you can do better with a passive speaker for $540. If you can't list more than 10 speakers that trump this one, I think maybe you should look in the mirror. 10 speakers out of the thousands made shouldn't be difficult if it's such a pig and complete rubbish.

Given that those modded Klipschs require a pretty hefty amp -- something like a Topping PA-5 @$349 should be adequate -- and assuming no spousal approval is required (or your lady doesn't mind matte black enclosures and naked speaker cones), a pair of "2nd Wave" Kali Audio IN-8s @$800 MSRP would blow them away.

Passive speakers are passé if "bang for the buck" is your prime criterion. :cool:

tential

Dude, that's $800 with the flat pack! And you still have to build it, glue it and paint it or veneer it. It's not gonna look anywhere as good as the RP600M unless you have mad skills, which I don't, AND I believe I have above average skills when it comes to these things. Sorry, $250 more and a lot more work entailed for a lesser-looking product.
Don't sell yourself short. I'm essentially dumber than rocks when it comes to handy work and my subwoofer looks amazing to me. And I painted it red, so if I screed up, it would be obvious.

Black duratex paint is essentially impossible to screw up, and it's what a lot of people use if you just want something "OK".
Id go with a Diysg flat pack since the measurements and reviews are all over avs forum. Also cheaper than 800. Although I'd pay 800 for a speaker if I knew the parts (replicate Jtr speakers, sure) but Diysg adds displacement (larger woofers) than attempt to go after the insane quality Jtr uses to reach their output levels with such clarity. Ht-12 is more than enough for the average person. The problem with diy pricing is, if you price it too high people balk like you did, price it too low, and people become skeptical you can spend so little for good performance.
The kit I want is actually 800, just not offered anymore. 1899 speakers were too ridiculous. Hope he brings the kit back. I want to build it just for the sheer size of a speaker with 2 18 inch woofers.... Overkill.

Honestly, assembly is the easiest part... It was dumb easy. Glue together on a weekend in between gaming sessions. Order a pre-made crossover.... I'm lazy, I'll pay you 20 to assemble a crossover, wire speaker and install it... Screw in binding post... Done....

Finishing was the hardest part. And that was still not bad. I mean, I made it painful because I really wanted "piano" finish (which you aren't getting with no tools) and I did it all by hand, but like... Buy tools... Or borrow... Don't be dumb and it won't take you a week to finish it (each day after work I applied a few coats of finish and sanded by hand for a week. Got tools from a neighbor and finished it with that the way a normal person should).

Really though, just paint and a clear finish looks amazing anyway. It's really a lot easier than you think. I thought it would be terrible, especially since I completely failed my first build where I didn't use a flat pack (I don't understand how to put bracing inside a box... I don't get it... I don't get it.....) and still assembled a flat pack. You can do it.

Last edited:

noiseangel

Right?!?!? with no evidence or better speakers to back up their claims. That's the part that kills me.
Give me a day and I will find your better speakers.
You think my opinion they are terrible is wrong? That's fine. That's your opinion. I stand by mine. Klipsch sound like spam cans. I don't need to back anything up about my claims. I'm sure there are things you don't like that others do without anything to back it up other than your opinion. I Think all Klipsch sound harsh and tinny, fatiguing to listen too. I have a sound I prefer to listen to. It's not Klipsch. They are terrible, to me, and having to do a Danny fix to get them to a level that makes them acceptable, makes it worse, why didn't Klipsch do it?

I feel sorry for people that won't even attempt to develop some diy skills and have go. Surprise yourself.

Last edited:
Top Bottom