• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which speaker would you like to be reviewed? (community interest thread)

Flak

Industry Insider
Maybe the new Klipsch RP-8000F II?

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder what people do with the suggestions on this thread? Do you all understand that unless ONE OF YOU sends @amirm one of these speakers for review (after receiving his permission to do so), rarely will any of these speakers be reviewed because the manufacturer takes the initiative after seeing its speaker mentioned here.

This thread should be read as "people with the speakers listed here should seriously consider sending one to ASR for review"

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I wonder what people do with the suggestions on this thread? Do you all understand that unless ONE OF YOU sends @amirm one of these speakers for review (after receiving his permission to do so), rarely will any of these speakers be reviewed because the manufacturer takes the initiative after seeing its speaker mentioned here.

This thread should be read as "people with the speakers listed here should seriously consider sending one to ASR for review"
You are making good point but there are other benefits to the thread:

1. When someone offers a speaker to test, I search here to see if others were interested in it.
2. I keep a mental note of what is requested and jump on the chance to get a unit when offered.
3. Sometimes others who own these products see the request and contact me to send them.

So let's let it come even though what you suggest is the surest way to get me a test unit.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I suggest you test a good old Genelec 1032A.
I've seen one for sale recently for a few hundred bucks (euro bucks).
And I do own a pair, but I'm really too far away to ship such a heavy box to you, I'm afraid.
(And I use them)

A Focal 948 should be fun too... but I'm not sur you're able to measure a 1.2m (4') tall tower...

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You are making good point but there are other benefits to the thread:

1. When someone offers a speaker to test, I search here to see if others were interested in it.
2. I keep a mental note of what is requested and jump on the chance to get a unit when offered.
3. Sometimes others who own these products see the request and contact me to send them.

So let's let it come even though what you suggest is the surest way to get me a test unit.
Have you ever considered crowd funding a review (every month or every other month) and giving it away afterwards?

You're probably have a lot on your plate already, but it might be a fun way to review something you (or the community) wants reviewed and the giveaways will be fun for everyone.

I know you already buy affordable speakers frequently when they're on sale for review with your own money, but this way you might be able to cover more price ranges without much inconvenience.

I apologize if i rambled for too long lol.

Emlin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I suggest you test a good old Genelec 1032A.
I've seen one for sale recently for a few hundred bucks (euro bucks).
And I do own a pair, but I'm really too far away to ship such a heavy box to you, I'm afraid.
(And I use them)

A Focal 948 should be fun too... but I'm not sur you're able to measure a 1.2m (4') tall tower...
He is.

Mario Sanchez

Is there a KH120 somewhere down amir's speaker testing queue?
I would be interested to see the KH750 get a spin as well... specs says it extends well into the lower midrange, would be interesting to see how directivity looks up there.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there a KH120 somewhere down amir's speaker testing queue?
I would be interested to see the KH750 get a spin as well... specs says it extends well into the lower midrange, would be interesting to see how directivity looks up there.
Neumann already shared a KH120 Klippel NFS spin. It’s somewhere on this forum.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The info is much appreciated. Is it possible to acquire the raw data for that spin somewhere?
It’s as flat as flat earthers like to think the earth is i see little relevance in EQing in anyway.

If you want you can use webplotdigitizer to digitize the spinorama.

YSDR

A 3-way ATC, with it's famous dome midrange driver. Maybe the measurements would reveal something, what's the raving about it.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
That is very easy for me. I have the "Z extension" for my Klippel NFS that allows measurement of speaker to 6+ feet. I also have an assisted lift to get speakers on it although it is still a two person job for tall and heavy speakers.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Have you ever considered crowd funding a review (every month or every other month) and giving it away afterwards?
I have. Basically people are not in a mood to throw money at me for a future benefit. Once the see the benefit, then they are generous. This is why I did not crowd fund my measurement systems. In every case we had the discussion but the funds didn't amount to much.

There has been partial funding for budget products to test which I appreciate. I wish there were more of these. "Please test this speaker and I will donate 10% of it. Anyone else?" In all of these cases I am happy to match the donations since I know there is solid member interest and good intentions toward it.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wish there were more of these. "Please test this speaker and I will donate 10% of it
Well, why not to organize kind of a crowdfunding in the following way:
Everybody may put a request for a product to test.
Condition: I need to specify the purchase price.
And bid for at least, say, $20
Then, anyone who wants this product to be tested may increase the "pot" by his own bid.
When value is reached, people receive, say, a PayPal invoice, and then you purchase the good and test it.
Maybe we could optimize it if we say we go only up to 60% of the price, and then you sale the device and keep the money.

Did you try something like this ?

Top Bottom