• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Naim Uniti Atom Review (Streamer & Amp)

Rate this streamer:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 280 68.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 93 22.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 21 5.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 14 3.4%

• Total voters

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm utterly confounded by companies as established as NAIM that sell megabucks amps but can't get the basics correct? All the noise and current limitations does not warrant this being a 4k product.

EDIT: Mind you, there are YouTubers and other audiophile blogs that swear by the UNITY being a stupendous product for the money. SMH

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As pure amplification, this thing is considerably inferior to the sub-$100 Aiyima A07 "chip amp." If that's not utterly appalling coming from a supposedly "high-end" audio company, I don't know what is.
That was my very thought. I have an Aiyima A07 that I bought for $89 that smokes the amp in this thing on both Sinad and power delivery.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
My mediocre refurbished Peachtrees are smiling big smiles. No streamer functionality, of course, but that is what my PC running Dirac is for.

Last edited:

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The real question is if one of the very first solid state silicon transistor integrated amps can beat this premium lifestyle device (the very first solid state integrated amps used germanium transistors) …

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Companies spec power at all kinds of metrics and there is no telling how they even measure THD at 1%.

1% is hardly HiFi, but as a number, it has gained more traction than any others. It's also a pretty simple to understand metric for the average Joe. The distortion/noise and other crap represents 1% of the total signal with 99% being 'pure'.

I'd rather specify amplifiers as 99.999% (5 nines etc) pure at X rated power. IOW, 0.001% THD.

I agree that once the knee has been reached, the amp is going non-linear, but lines in the sand are useful for comparison purposes.

None of that excuses the poor showing of this Naim. Maybe they'll drop this model...

1656123710331.png

wwenze

Major Contributor
In short, it’s a disaster from the company.

Naim was formed back in 1976 by a good friend of mine. Julian Vereker had a tiny shop on a tiny side street in a tiny English town where I used to live. He remortgaged his house to buy a Precision Instrument system so that he can be sure his amplifiers performed as SOTA.

He is turning in his grave.

Oh, so it has a long history.

I must have encountered Naim only after the direction change then. Must have been the "lifestyle" products.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Naim has never impressed me, seems more rooted in silly audiophilia for marketing at least. Certainly not a particularly good value type item. This review kind of was what I expected of a company like Naim.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Thanks @amirm for another revealing review. This one was at the top of my short list last year when I was looking for a high end Roon Ready streamer. I'm so glad that I went with the Matrix Audio X-SABRE 3 and not the Naim Unity Atom ;)

contium

Did anyone think an all-in-one lifestyle product was going to be a measurement monster? I don't own a Unity Atom but I have used one and noticed nothing negative with the sound. While expensive for a lifestyle product, the user experience is second to none IMO and I would happily own if it was in my budget.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
And for it to have these kind of performance numbers and look so clunky to boot with no nifty color display to show the album cover, sample rate, etc. What the hell!
It actually has a color display and will do that if you use the internal streaming function. It also flashes the input sample rate but I don't remember if it stayed up.

ralph

disappointing performance - i was seriously considering getting one of their amps (w/ the volume knob on the left, wondering whether anyone else here can appreciate this :) ) thanks for the review Amir!

Loooop

The Naim Superuniti streamer, which I bought about 10 years ago, was by far the worst and most expensive "hi-fi" device I've ever owned:
• the first unit had a very noisy toroidal transformer. Replaced under warranty with a less noisy one, but still audible at low volume;
• the second unit, due to particular settings of the green "naim" light on the front, went by itself in mute every moment. They pretended to repair it under warranty but only changed the above setting;
• the wi-fi was not usable and I was forced to pair it with an Apple Airport unit;
• they promised an upgrade that would give compatibility with AirPlay, but never provided it;
• the firmware update procedure was extremely cumbersome;
• the green screen (oled) after a few years became invisible. This happened to all owners of the device and other models with the same type of display, but despite this, the company demanded around € 400 for the repair (I refused to repair it);
• finally, the remote control has also broken;

The first criterion I used when choosing a new streamer last year was "stay away from Naim".

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
As the Germans would say: Nein!

@amirm, it’s Uniti, not Unity! This better gets properly indexed by Google ;)

Obviously WhatHifi has a raving review:

Pros​

• Class-leading clarity and insight
  • Lovely precise timing and impressive dynamic range
  • Looks as impressive as it sounds

Cons​

Really nothing noteworthy
Another rave from Steve Huff:

The value here is extraordinary and the best (value) I have ever seen in my 30 years of HiFi.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Ten years ago I bought a Naim streamer, and I thought that the sound was an improvement over the squeezebox Duet I had before. This was followed by the Yamaha wxc50 streamer and the sound quality was about the same as the Naim. Now I use an Apple computer with Apple lossless and a DDC and the sound is slightly better than before.

Naim always gets high regards in magazines, with 5 stars.
I like the building quality of the boxes for NAIM .

Last edited:
Top Bottom