• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Grimani Systems Rixos-L Review (Active DSP Speaker)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 7.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 90 51.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 21 12.0%

• Total voters

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

The system seems to have Fairly impressive performance, but now seeing it uses 2- $200 woofers, changed my view of it a decent bit.
How can you be sure?

I get it has the Active DSP and all that...but what are we actually getting for $8,000??
Is this ONE speaker, an amp and DSP control......?

Asking seriously, what is included at that cost?
What has this got to do with anyone? If you are not happy with the price you ignore the product.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All or any combination of the above.
I was checking out the latest and greatest B&O active loudspeaker, which runs six figures. Not that I am ever in the market for something like that. Just curious. It seems most outlets are 'home installation' operations. I could be wrong, but I'm guessing that when you are at this level of expense and exclusivity, and with such limited distribution, there are very few 'showrooms' that have one set up, allowing you to demo the product.

With the B&O, a free standing loudspeaker, if one could find a showroom (which might require an airline ticket, or travel via one's fractional share Learjet), they could at least get a reasonable idea about how the system might sound in their living room. On the other hand, with something like Grimani, which is meant to be installed in your home theater, in your own walls, I don't know how it would be possible to gain such an idea.

Maybe at these price points, and given the fact that it's mostly for movies, customers have different needs and different expectations than your typical hi-fi enthusiast.

beagleman

Major Contributor
Do you have to spend the eight large to get the free application? :)

Seriously, though, I wonder how folks playing at this level decide to buy something like this? Do pro installers have 'showrooms' that prospective customers can demo the products, and possible competitors? Or do they just hand their contractor the keys to the front door, and say, "Put something in it that will astonish me, and call me when it's finished?"
I pmed you about this, but yes they have well done up showrooms, you make appointments to get a private demo.

Usually, a contractor and/or home owner decide they want a great home theatre room, and decide how much it will cost. But stuff like this, is often very high priced based on it being installed BY the company and done for aesthetics or a specific purpose.

Kind of the opposite of how most of us do it. We decide what sound we want and what is affordable.

beagleman

Major Contributor
How can you be sure?

What has this got to do with anyone? If you are not happy with the price you ignore the product.
I was asking WHAT are you getting.......You failed me.:facepalm:

List what you get for $8000 a very simple question. I am not sure from the review. Is it ONE speaker, or a set of LCR speakers....etc???

Price may have nothing of importance to YOU, but to most it does. How can you even ask a question that is so obvious.

Most place a high importance on actual value. I am well off enough, but do not waste my money.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How can you be sure?
I guess we can't be 100% sure. But there are more than enough indications. For one, they also use smaller drivers that visually match the FaitalPro lineup very well. Next, their own product images:
1656074191010.png

It shows the rear structure of the basket. Guess what the 8PR200 looks like:
1656074232756.png

It's basically a perfect fit:
1656074591006.png

Even if it's not exactly the 8PR200, it's bound to be made by Faital Pro, and prise wise it should be equivalent as well.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I pmed you about this, but yes they have well done up showrooms, you make appointments to get a private demo.

Kind of the opposite of how most of us do it. We decide what sound we want and what is affordable.
I imagine that folks who are in to movies are more interested in having something that will shake their chandeliers when the Death Star explodes, than being concerned with 'front to back depth' and 'imaging'. Dialog recognition is probably important. I've listened to a few systems (friends) where dialog is difficult to determine, due to all the other stuff going on in the soundtrack. I don't know if that is a system limitation, or how the DVD was mixed. Most dialog is banal, so I guess it's not that big a deal in most movies.

Of course, given my experience with hi-fi, I admit that I don't relate to home theater very well. It's my own fault and my own limitation, for sure.

When I started the hobby, dealers had a wall of loudspeakers, and you'd flip a switch in order to demo. Then, pack up the box and listen to it in your home. Swap it out if you didn't like it. Rinse and repeat.

Now, with the dearth of brick and mortar, and many locations not even having a dealer in the immediate area, the process is completely different. For installations at the highest level, and for home theater, and at these prices, how could it really work? I mean making comparisons? The NBA point guard probably just has his agent call an installer and once the road trip is over, expects to be able to come home and enjoy whatever has been installed. I can imagine that happening more than not.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was asking WHAT are you getting.......You failed me.:facepalm:

List what you get for $8000 a very simple question. I am not sure from the review. Is it ONE speaker, or a set of LCR speakers....etc???
I am sorry I was expecting anyone to check with the product brochure at the manufacturer's website before asking, hence assumed the question is rhetorical. It comes with the following and it is for one speaker channel only.

Basic Specs: Medium: Dual 6.5” woofers / 1” dome in CSA™ waveguide / 95dB efficiency 80Hz to 20kHz / 600W rack amplifier / DSP x-over and room EQ / 36”x13”x4”

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It comes with the following and it is for one speaker channel only.
That's actually the smaller brother. This is the bigger one with 8" woofers and a compression driver.

Is 8K too much? Probably... It's roughly about 2k in real material cost (without accounting for mass purchasing). The usual markup is between 3x and 5x, so 8k is about right. Still a lot of money for a simple ugly box.

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's actually the smaller brother. This is the bigger one with 8" woofers and a compression driver.
I apologise. I wanted to link the brochure PDF but failed to note that the large model was not covered on the PDF. Thank you for correcting my mistake.

The large model is covered on the webpage though and it lists what is included.

• Large: Dual 8” woofers / 1” annular driver in CSA™ waveguide / Max SPL 1m Long-Short: 113-120dB 80Hz to 20kHz / 600W rack amplifier / DSP x-over and room EQ / 36”x13”x6”

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I apologise. I wanted to link the brochure PDF but failed to note that the large model was not covered on the PDF. Thank you for correcting my mistake.
Yeah, they got me on that one first as well :facepalm: It's very confusing.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I imagine that folks who are in to movies are more interested in having something that will shake their chandeliers when the Death Star explodes, than being concerned with 'front to back depth' and 'imaging'. Dialog recognition is probably important. I've listened to a few systems (friends) where dialog is difficult to determine, due to all the other stuff going on in the soundtrack. I don't know if that is a system limitation, or how the DVD was mixed. Most dialog is banal, so I guess it's not that big a deal in most movies.

Of course, given my experience with hi-fi, I admit that I don't relate to home theater very well. It's my own fault and my own limitation, for sure.

When I started the hobby, dealers had a wall of loudspeakers, and you'd flip a switch in order to demo. Then, pack up the box and listen to it in your home. Swap it out if you didn't like it. Rinse and repeat.

Now, with the dearth of brick and mortar, and many locations not even having a dealer in the immediate area, the process is completely different. For installations at the highest level, and for home theater, and at these prices, how could it really work? I mean making comparisons? The NBA point guard probably just has his agent call an installer and once the road trip is over, expects to be able to come home and enjoy whatever has been installed. I can imagine that happening more than not.

Best post in this thread. :)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I am sorry I was expecting anyone to check with the product brochure at the manufacturer's website before asking, hence assumed the question is rhetorical. It comes with the following and it is for one speaker channel only.

Thanks for clarifying. In that case, it's hilarious at US$8k per speaker. More fool anyone who buys one, or two, or more.

Fools and their money... (we all know the saying)

beagleman

Major Contributor

Is 8K too much? Probably... It's roughly about 2k in real material cost (without accounting for mass purchasing). The usual markup is between 3x and 5x, so 8k is about right. Sill a lot of money for a simple ugly box.
I guess my way of looking at this type of stuff, is skewed a bit due to me being "Cheap", but also loving doing stuff myself and DIY speaker building "Items" I have seen or read about or have heard over the last decade or so.

My philosophy, is "Can you get 90-95% of the sound or so, for less money, another way"??

Many retail speakers ARE simply off the shelf components. Some are not. I get there is a mark up, finishing and shipping costs, and labor and all of that..and many are unwilling or not able to design or build speakers.........

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I can never tell which way you are coming from....;)

I have spent way too much on HiFi too. But, I like to think it was 'intelligent investment', made with knowledge and a decent background. That's my excuse. ;)

My HiFi 'investments' have stood the test of time. Also I have restored, rescued, resurrected and repaired more than I can possibly describe. I have so much gear it is impossible to imagine for most normal people. But I love it all.

2 channel/stereo HiFi is having a renaissance. It took several decade to come around, but we all predicted it. Sadly, it's a bit simplistic and to some people it's exclusive and somewhat absolute. HiFi is not like that, it's a journey that explores many sources and methods. There's few shortcuts and many detours on the road to nirvana.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Like PA systems, home theatre systems are a section of audio technology. You don't have to relate but also shouldn't criticize the products just because you "don't relate to."

For installations at the highest level, and for home theater, and at these prices, how could it really work? I mean making comparisons? The NBA point guard probably just has his agent call an installer and once the road trip is over, expects to be able to come home and enjoy whatever has been installed. I can imagine that happening more than not.
I visited a few HT showrooms to demo various products. Those demo rooms are full-blown setups. Dealers have also arranged for me to visit their customer's rooms and I had the chance to discuss with the owners. When you are spending a good amount the demo options are pretty comprehensive. I have changed my HT setup twice so far. Once the processor and amplifiers and then recently the speakers.

It is not much different to the the shop with the wall of speakers. The only difference is in the rinsing :)

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Like PA systems, home theatre systems are a section of audio technology. You don't have to relate but also shouldn't criticize the products just because you "don't relate to."
I did not criticize the product. Rather, I asked how it is possible to compare competing products in the marketplace, side by side, in order to make a purchasing decision, as a consumer. And I wondered whether the product's customers even care to do that?

nothingman

I visited a few HT showrooms to demo various products. Those demo rooms are full-blown setups. Dealers have also arranged for me to visit their customer's rooms and I had the chance to discuss with the owners. When you are spending a good amount the demo options are pretty comprehensive. I have changed my HT setup twice so far. Once the processor and amplifiers and then recently the speakers.

Yes, exactly. I was going to say, at this level (and it doesn’t really get any higher), previous clients who are open to the idea are asked to host demos from time to time to show new clients exactly what a full scale project will look and sound like. The owner of the ”demo” system can either be entirely absent or if they’re in the mood have a chance to show off their room. There’s no way these designers and installers can replicate everything in a showroom that they can do in a real customer’s home. In the experience I have seen, those requests are more numerous (but never onerous or impolite) in the couple years immediately after finishing a room since it has all the latest design elements and technology, and then as new, further evolved rooms are built, the older rooms are basically left alone unless the owner calls in an update to the projector or want to add new hardware or processing (Atmos, etc).

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

It is not much different to the the shop with the wall of speakers. The only difference is in the rinsing :)
I think what you describe is certainly about the best that can be had. And likely enough to make a determination about a specific number of options. Location/travel is the limiting factor. And 'imposing' on others, walking into their living rooms to listen. Someone who allows that is a decent person, for sure. I don't know that I'd allow it. So they are more friendly than me. I'd certainly bring along a bottle of decent Scotch whiskey to leave with the home owner, if I ever made the trip.

Whether your scenario is 'much different' than the 'wall of speakers? Your way is probably more enlightening as it offer a dedicated listening room.

Related, I know that Siegfried Linkwitz had a list of folks how let others listen to his loudspeaker setup in their homes. In fact, when he was alive he rented out a vacation cottage with his system, for prospective buyers, I believe.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I did not criticize the product. Rather, I asked how it is possible to compare competing products in the marketplace, side by side, in order to make a purchasing decision, as a consumer.
...and I replied how it is done.
And I wondered whether the product's customers even care to do that?
Why wouldn't they care? Just because someone has money it doesn't mean they don't care. In fact it is the opposite.

Top Bottom