• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NEW PURIFI 8'' MWoofer [PTT8.0X04]

Adi777

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Idea for a true high end DIY speaker system:
▪︎Some top range tweeter in custom revel-style waveguide
▪︎5" midrange (purifi?)
▪︎Two of those 8" relegated to 1khz-100hz
▪︎PC based active XO/filters --> Okto DAC8 Pro --> Purifi amps or equivalent (benchmark/neurochrome/new hypex)
▪︎Tune not full range, pair it with at least 2 subs

A lot of effort and money but tremendous potential to optimize for ultra low thd/imd and possibility to surpass most commercial solutions available now.

Wonder what people think about that.
What frequency response could such a set have?

Ra1zel

What frequency response could such a set have?
Depending on enclosure pretty much any, still spl limited below 50hz. After rethinking I would expand this idea into 4 way speaker similar to Revel Salon2, with Neumann KH420 style 3" dome midrange in dual waveguide with tweeter crossed at 3kHz, then crossed at 1kHz to purifi 6.5" midrange, then at 400hz crossed to 8" purifi midwoofer. Still optimized for multi subwoofer setup thus making the whole system 5 way and ridiculously complex/hard/expensive, and no idea how any DIYer other than ultra expert would make the waveguide.

Adi777

Depending on enclosure pretty much any, still spl limited below 50hz. After rethinking I would expand this idea into 4 way speaker similar to Revel Salon2, with Neumann KH420 style 3" dome midrange in dual waveguide with tweeter crossed at 3kHz, then crossed at 1kHz to purifi 6.5" midrange, then at 400hz crossed to 8" purifi midwoofer. Still optimized for multi subwoofer setup thus making the whole system 5 way and ridiculously complex/hard/expensive, and no idea how any DIYer other than ultra expert would make the waveguide.
Curious idea, a tak w ogóle, to pozdrawiam krajana ;)

ayane

Forum Donor
I checked and you measured a vifa d25 or something...
FYI, Erin got banned from ASR for "self-promotion" last week and won't be able to respond/reply to people

ayane

Forum Donor
Wait....can I know which post was it?
The post, a link to a video, has been removed. That's usually what happens to posts when they're deemed ban-worthy... Even if it wasn't, I wouldn't link it because I don't want to get banned, lol.
If you must know, the video in question is one of the recent ones on Erin's channel, titled "Let's have some fun!!! Audibility Experiment. Part 1"
Anyway, let's not derail the thread too much; we're here to talk about the 8" Purifi Midwoofer...

I, for one, am looking forward to either an ASR Directiva, a reference implementation from Purifi, or a finished product making use of the 8" driver. I recently completed my 6.5" Purifi-based Directiva R1 (same as the one in my sig) and I'm extremely happy with it, but I still want deeper and louder bass. I'd give the R1 an 8/10 in terms of how close it gets to absolute state-of-the-art in terms of clean power and bass extension. I've heard louder and deeper, and I know the 8" can deliver at least some more =)

Then there's the whole "constant directivity" beast; the philosophy behind the Dutch & Dutch 8c and the Kii 3, which give you directivity benefits that can't be had in other systems, though I've yet to hear those benefits myself...

Last edited:

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
FYI, Erin got banned from ASR for "self-promotion" last week and won't be able to respond/reply to people

Huh… had no clue.

@amirm

Is this a perma-ban? Or a temporary one? Cause, honestly, the former does not make any sense to me (and many others, I would guess) either way on whatever one’s strong leanings are on where to draw the line.

beren777

Huh… had no clue.

@amirm

Is this a perma-ban? Or a temporary one? Cause, honestly, the former does not make any sense to me (and many others, I would guess) either way on whatever one’s strong leanings are on where to draw the line.

I don't see "don't self-promote" listed here:

Some allowances should be made for reasonable references. If someone writes a review elsewhere, it's reasonable for the author to link to it, even if it's on their own website or Youtube. This is a connected world, and linking to other quality sources of audio information helps to bring the community closer together. We've probably done far more to "promote" GR Research over the past month than all of Erin's self-promotion of his own website combined.

D!sco

All these cool woofers are really missing a quality 3-4" midrange purifi could put out for better directivity matching. You'd barely need a tweeter after all that.

beren777

All these cool woofers are really missing a quality 3-4" midrange purifi could put out for better directivity matching. You'd barely need a tweeter after all that.
I hold out hope that someday we'll see a Purifi coaxial driver for mid/high frequency. Barring that, something like some of the Morel units which join a midrange driver and tweeter in one chassis.

McFly

Banning people for ***t like this does nothing to help the hobby or the ways newcomers/outsiders view the hobby. Just stop being so small minded and welcome any and all contributions to your forum. Its what the internet was made for.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been online buddies with Erin since like parts express days, and it's honestly a bit annoying to me that he got banned. If anything it diminishes ASR. The mission stated by amir here is to create a culture of audio testing that improves manufacturer practices. Erin has been leading the charge with that along with ASR. Now LTT is joining the fray. Amir doesn't make any money. I don't think Erin does either. It just seems petty.

I mean it's not my website so whatever, but it seems needlessly territorial.

Adi777

Anyway, let's not derail the thread too much; we're here to talk about the 8" Purifi Midwoofer...

I, for one, am looking forward to either an ASR Directiva, a reference implementation from Purifi, or a finished product making use of the 8" driver. I recently completed my 6.5" Purifi-based Directiva R1 (same as the one in my sig) and I'm extremely happy with it, but I still want deeper and louder bass. I'd give the R1 an 8/10 in terms of how close it gets to absolute state-of-the-art in terms of clean power and bass extension. I've heard louder and deeper, and I know the 8" can deliver at least some more =)

Then there's the whole "constant directivity" beast; the philosophy behind the Dutch & Dutch 8c and the Kii 3, which give you directivity benefits that can't be had in other systems, though I've yet to hear those benefits myself...
What do you think about DIY project with Purifi 8" like Perlisten s7t?

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
The point of these Purifi designs in the first place was enabling better 2-ways. You'd probably be using a waveguided 25/28 mm dome.

That being said, imagine combining the 8" with the bombastic 3" dome midrange of Neumann KH310 / KH420 fame.

ayane

Forum Donor
What do you think about DIY project with Purifi 8" like Perlisten s7t?
I'm not really a fan of towers; I know they can have technically superior performance, but they can't be easily moved. That's a major priority for me as a renter, and bookshelf speakers are more convenient in that regard

D!sco

The point of these Purifi designs in the first place was enabling better 2-ways. You'd probably be using a waveguided 25/28 mm dome.

That being said, imagine combining the 8" with the bombastic 3" dome midrange of Neumann KH310 / KH420 fame.
Except the lack of waveguided tweeters makes that much more difficult. People really seem to be rallying around the 8", but the driver that makes the least sense to me is the 6.5" mid. That's not intended for two-way use, and they already had a 4" form factor to work with. A 6" starts beaming between 1200 and 1500hz, whereas a 4" will start to beam around 2000hz or higher. Frankly, the 4" woofer doesn't get enough praise for it's design choices. It's just not enough on it's own to be satisfying in a main system. Which leads me to- again, a small midrange for that cool 8" woofer or the 6.5" high excursion model. Why I'd want a 4" midwoofer with an xmax of 8.5mm for anything but a nearfield monitor is just confusing to me. And now they have a 5.25", much better IMO for a fullrange two way nearfield design, or a smaller main system with subs.

Savi

People really seem to be rallying around the 8", but the driver that makes the least sense to me is the 6.5" mid. That's not intended for two-way use, and they already had a 4" form factor to work with. A 6" starts beaming between 1200 and 1500hz,
The 6.5" mid is clearly more specific but not without interest. It seems intended to cover a 200Hz-2200Hz (high and smooth fr without distorsion) Give a 12" woofer, this mid and a waveguided tweeter to a good designer and I am all in. But I agree, it is maybe less a game changer than the midwoofers. If you need a waveguide tweeter, I suggest you give a look to somasonus.net (augerpro) free designs.

changster

Lars has said they are working on more drivers. My guess, since they already have a 4" long excursion version, is they will come out with a 4" pure midrange.

A 4" pure midrange will sell like hotcakes in car audio.

Top Bottom