• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Parts Express Copperhead Desktop Full-Range Speaker build

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ordered yesterday. Should have by weekend…

Stay tuned for more. :)

JSmith

Master Contributor
Does this has any relation to Amir in anyway?

@Rick Sykora ... this will be interesting for sure. :)

JSmith

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can’t we crowd fund an LXmini or something? At least that’s a speaker that he might keep or at least listen to more than one time for a review.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

JSmith

Master Contributor
Can’t we crowd fund an LXmini or something?
That would also be interesting as a stand alone test and something I'll throw in for, however that is a 2-way speaker and I believe the point of this Cooperhead product is to compare it to the single driver 3" LGK, since the Dayton driver used is remarkably similar, although the LGK driver is a Peerless custom product. ;)

JSmith

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

@Rick Sykora ... this will be interesting for sure. :)

JSmith
Amir and I thought so too.

Maybe I build the second of the pair without the passive filter. Seems a great candidate to do actively.:cool:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Can’t we crowd fund an LXmini or something? At least that’s a speaker that he might keep or at least listen to more than one time for a review.
IIRC there was someone nearby offering them for test already, but covid got in the way. That might be worth revisiting now. That seems a better bet than crowd funding as making some courier-proof packing for them would probably be harder than making the speakers.

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well, building them sure looks wholesome.

300-7180_ALT_5.jpg

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just think this vendetta is not helping anyone. But it’s not my time or money anyway.

No malice intended on my part. There seems to be a lot of interest in inexpensive, near field speakers for the desktop. Parts Express likely concurs and it is a ”cheap date” that happens to fit within Amir’s speaker test target segment.

Agree a LXmini would be great, but already a shipping challenge and (as mentioned), may happen local to Amir if we can get ahead of Covid!

Last edited:

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That would also be interesting as a stand alone test and something I'll throw in for, however that is a 2-way speaker and I believe the point of this Cooperhead product is to compare it to the single driver 3" LGK, since the Dayton driver used is remarkably similar, although the LGK driver is a Peerless custom product. ;)

JSmith
Ideally the drivers are sent to Erin for stand alone driver testing since he has the Klippel Drive Unit Test Machine.

ta240

Major Contributor
Nice! I've thought about ordering those as desk speakers for work since the volume would always be low and bass travels too easily there. And they are actually on sale now so they are only $10 more than last year.

Wolf

Addicted to Fun and Learning

JSmith
I don't see Peerless in the LGK driver. Looks more like a Guisound product to me.

JSmith

Master Contributor
I don't see Peerless in the LGK driver. Looks more like a Guisound product to me.
It's a long thread... you may not have seen this;

JSmith

xarkkon

Well, building them sure looks wholesome.

View attachment 214067
can confirm, built 2 pairs with my kids. they loved every moment of it, including one of them singing his finger tips on the soldering iron.

that being said, i don't have a beard nor do i live near the outdoors so clearly i'm not getting the full on copperhead experience!

Top Bottom