• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

remlemasi

Re Airplay, it’s been discussed several times in the thread and the last I recall (I may be wrong so search the thread and check) is that WiiM are waiting on the OK from Apple for 24/48 for airplay, and that what you’re seeing is just what Airplay does.

Re playing Apple Music thru the WiiM, it could well be that it’s a feature that WiiM/ Amazon need to add to the MRM implementation method they’re using for the WiiM - tbh, it’s not unexpected as even with real echos, Spotify support came later than Amazon Music and other services, with Apple Music lagging behind that. You should use either the feedback route in the WiiM app or via their FAQ/feature request page on their website to ask if Apple Music and similar services will be supported in the manner you’re trying.

Edit: also, I haven’t seen any mention of lossless Apple Music being supported on Echo or Alexa enabled devices, so that may limit things too
Ah right, I do recall seeing the note on 24/48 airplay a several pages back. Kind of insane how long this thread is!

Re: Apple Music direct to WiiM (no AirPlay involved), good idea to be another squeak in the wheel. Will do that.

I will say this streamer is super easy to use and an insane value.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Casting from Amazon Music UHD to WiiM Mini

Still some tidying to do with font sizes etc but really like this @Ralph_Cramden

This is more farfield one. I won't need to touch your code for my desktop one

E9A8C064-66F6-44C4-8722-129B2D7F22CD.jpeg

AyGee

Shot in the dark question, anyone using the WiiM Mini with a Denon x3700H receiver? I send a 24/192 signal via optical in but in the app it looks like it senses that the x3700h can't play Hi-Res, so plays 44.1.
Have you set the "max output settings" accordingly within the WiiM app device settings?

I mean have you tested this:
You can adjust the output up to 192 kHz/24 bit from the updated WiiM Home App. It can be done by selecting the device tab > tap the device setting gear icon > Select audio settings > SPDIF output resolution. Then select your target sample rate and bit depth, play test audio to verify if your downstream receiver is able to receive it.

Scot_Douglas

Does anyone else have an issue with the app displaying the next song in a playlist instead of the one that's currently playing?
I did one day and I couldn't tell what the heck was going on. Was getting ready to post here and it cleared itself up after I selected a few different tracks.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you set the "max output settings" accordingly within the WiiM app device settings?

You can adjust the output up to 192 kHz/24 bit from the updated WiiM Home App. It can be done by selecting the device tab > tap the device setting gear icon > Select audio settings > SPDIF output resolution. Then select your target sample rate and bit depth, play test audio to verify if your downstream receiver is able to receive it.

Yes. All of my mini are set for 24/192

derek13

Can anyone help. I’m on 420439. Within the Wiim App I go to Amazon Music Setting and enable HD/Ultra. Search for an album in Amazon Music within the Wiim App and play it and it still shows 16/44.1. Strangely one track showed briefly as 24/48 but then when I looked again back to 16/44.1. Its definitely listed as an ultra album when viewed in native AmZon Music App. Then another track shows 24/48 but my DAC still shows 44.1

Now fixed. OK here is the story. I had set Quality to best available in the Amazon Music App (the Native app not the one inside WiiM). But when I looked again it had reverted to Standard. Changed it to Best Available and now everything works. Getting Bryan Adams at 24/96 on Wiim App andthe DAC.

Spoke too soon. Everythings gone back to 16/44.1.
Weird. Now seems to work fine except that if I select an Amazon Music album that is Ultra HD then what I find is first track plays as 16/44.1 but subsequent tracks play at 24/44.1, 24/48, 24/96 etc as I would expect. Anyone find this.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Weird. Now seems to work fine except that if I select an Amazon Music album that is Ultra HD then what I find is first track plays as 16/44.1 but subsequent tracks play at 24/44.1, 24/48, 24/96 etc as I would expect. Anyone find this.
First track can show up on my WiiM app with no HD/UHD badge - I mentioned this in a ticket to Wiim. It’d be beneficial to all users if you used the feedback route in the WiiM app so they can inspect your log file and hopefully fix this :)

derek13

First track can show up on my WiiM app with no HD/UHD badge - I mentioned this in a ticket to Wiim. It’d be beneficial to all users if you used the feedback route in the WiiM app so they can inspect your log file and hopefully fix this :)
Yes, I’ve logged it on feedback. Badge behaviour is strange as if I skip back to first track it shows the HD/Ultra badge but still only plays at 16/44.1
But if I view tracks on the album while playing say Track 3 and then I select Track 1 then this time it plays at right quality.

Last edited:

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Casting from Amazon Music UHD to WiiM Mini

Still some tidying to do with font sizes etc but really like this @Ralph_Cramden

This is more farfield one. I won't need to touch your code for my desktop one

View attachment 214066
Looks great! With the wider artist/album font, you'll probably want to change the wrap point a bit.

Python:
  tw1 = textwrap.TextWrapper(width=40)
  tw2 = textwrap.TextWrapper(width=40)

Probably should be width=30, looking at your screen.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And if you play this 24/96 and 24/192 test sounds via the device setting page, what happens?
They play at 96/192. I've got good news all around. I've confirmed with Denon that my x3700h AVR can process 24/192. I also found out how to see the rate on the screen. Finally, I didn't realize that you have to go into the WiiM app, choose Amazon Music and then choose "use UHD beta" FOR EVERY DEVICE SEPARATELY. Now that I did all that, I have full UHD on every device and UHD up to 24/192 on my Denon AVR. All is well.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Looks great! With the wider artist/album font, you'll probably want to change the wrap point a bit.

Python:
  tw1 = textwrap.TextWrapper(width=40)
  tw2 = textwrap.TextWrapper(width=40)

Probably should be width=30, looking at your screen.
Thanks!

When I used Roon and RoPieee on 7" RPi touchscreen, the dev dude had much bigger text by using rolling text for long names

That way it stayed one line , was much bigger text to read from a distance

I dunno how to do it though and i know you wrote you're waiting for a young grosshopper to take on the work lol

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
I never liked the rolling text, always found it distracting; hence the wrapped lines.

BTW, I pushed up a change to workaround the Amazon 24-bit display, change it to display 16-bit when playing HD. I'm sure WiiM will eventually fix it, but for now...

Also, the TosLink light does appear to be getting turned off now, so commented out the code that sent a "STOP" to the WiiM (and appears to cause an issue with Amazon Music).

(An example of a very long album title that would drive me nuts if it rolled. Also note that the bits are correctly displayed as 16 for this HD recording, though the WiiM Home app shows 24)

2793EC7B-38DF-48EB-A934-126DE86E364F.jpeg

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
I never liked the rolling text, always found it distracting; hence the wrapped lines.

BTW, I pushed up a change to workaround the Amazon 24-bit display, change it to display 16-bit when playing HD. I'm sure WiiM will eventually fix it, but for now...

Also, the TosLink light does appear to be getting turned off now, so commented out the code that sent a "STOP" to the WiiM (and appears to cause an issue with Amazon Music).

(An example of a very long album title that would drive me nuts if it rolled. Also note that the bits are correctly displayed as 16 for this HD recording, though the WiiM Home app shows 24)

View attachment 214150

View attachment 214150

I tried even bigger text

And moved album info to left hand side. Usually album name is in the cover and if it isn't then it's right above here

And track title moved on right side

Just in case I need to see track name name and artist from a distance

This text might be too big. I'll downsize if I do see an issue

B20052EA-75DD-4D89-9DF6-A4F50474B3F2.jpeg

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Are you still on 352?

derek13

Wiim support have responded that the problem of the first track playing at standard resolution then subsequent tracks playing at HD/Ultra with Amazon Music is a known issue and expect a fix in the release at the end of this month.

Last edited:

Brantome

Major Contributor
Wiim support have responded that the problem of the first track playing at standard resolution then subsequent tracks playing at HD/Ultra with Amazon Music is a known issue and expect a fix in the release at the end of this month.
Yeah, they acknowledged a few bugs I had submitted (wrong info displayed, audio dropping, skipping thru a playlist etc) and similarly hope to have these fixed in the next release too.
Let’s keep raising tickets for any issues we find so they can make this better for everyone :)

Top Bottom