• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90 Discrete Review (Headphone Amp & Preamp)

Rate this Headphone Amp/Pre-amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 16 3.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 14 3.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 70 17.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 306 75.4%

• Total voters

David_M

He wrote missing balanced XLR output, tough it has balanced TRS output. Not that a big deal for me whether or not it’s XLR or TRS for balanced output, and there is not that much space on the backside of the device either so some compromise has to be made with regards to connectors. For some it’s important, of course.

This from the ASR review.
Correct ... The important thing for the original poster is to know that TRS and XLR are both balanced connections, but in different packages. You get identical benefits using either but TRS is a more compact balanced connector, preferred by the professional audio and broadcast industry.

I agree with Amir that it's not terrible. I use the remote with my DX3 Pro+ more often than I do the knob even though it sits on my desk and is always within arm's reach.
"Not terrible". This is the kind of compromise you would expect from a mid-range product, not from a flagship. Hopefully it can be fixed via firmware update.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know I shouldn't be surprised but I'm curious about those 6 or 7 votes for headless panther - were they hoping for better performance? Lower Price? Headless panther is quite a serious charge and just curious as to what these people consider a "great" golfing panther if this is deemed worthy of the worst possible score possible. Do they work at Chord?

Hemi

I know I shouldn't be surprised but I'm curious about those 6 or 7 votes for headless panther - were they hoping for better performance? Lower Price? Headless panther is quite a serious charge and just curious as to what these people consider a "great" golfing panther if this is deemed worthy of the worst possible score possible. Do they work at Chord?
Haters gonna hate

200.gif

Peternz

I have not voted yet and I don't think it is that bad, but there is always the L30 that costs way less and performs better.

Last edited:

Xyrium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Nice performance, and I really like the rounded edges, but industrial metal appearance. I also dig the display, very Mytek.

McCluskey

There will always be a small group that’s unsatisfied. In terms of specs we’ve reached a level of performance that’s technically perfect. Plus or minus 1-2 dB in the inaudible range of hearing at a price point that’s quite reasonable. Congrats to Topping.

PeteL

Major Contributor
ki

sa
Correct ... The important thing for the original poster is to know that TRS and XLR are both balanced connections, but in different packages. You get identical benefits using either but TRS is a more compact balanced connector, preferred by the professional audio and broadcast industry.
XLR is much more common than TRS in the professional audio and Broadcast industry. TRS do have a place, as well as Eurobloc terminals, but not sure why you would think they are the preffered.

Last edited:

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I never vote on these, but I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with this product's performance. Some people are hacked off at Topping because of problems with another device. I don't really blame them if they want to vote on the company and not the product.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My Technics amp is getting on for 30 years old, how's the PA5 doing for people after 30 weeks?
Mine (along with all 4 Topping DACs) is working flawlessly.

ALaylowguy

I wonder how many times Topping will re-release the same product with something slightly different before @amirm gets bored of reviewing them.
a review channel get bored of reviewing? Do you perchance have more "interesting" devices which you can spare for our old boring Amir to review?

junki

Being discrete, this is an incredible product from an engineering standpoint. Blows almost every western high-end discrete amplifier out of the water.

But from a consumer standpoint, I can't see the value proposition to get this over something like the SMSL SH-9 amplifier, which offers similar performance and the same R2R volume control but less power because it doesn't have balanced outs. However, its SE out outputs similar power to the A90D's SE out, and it costs like $260-290 depending on whether there is a discount or not.

Can someone correct me if I'm missing something here? I want to be convinced. My heart wants to buy this but my brain is holding me back.

Last edited:

Hemi

Being discrete, this is an incredible product from an engineering standpoint. Blows almost every western high-end discrete amplifier out of the water.

But from a consumer standpoint, I can't see the value proposition to get this over something like the SMSL SH-9 amplifier, which offers similar performance and the same R2R volume control but less power because it doesn't have balanced outs. However, its SE out outputs similar power to the A90D's SE out, and it costs like $260-290 depending on whether there is a discount or not.

Can someone correct me if I'm missing something here? I want to be convinced. My heart wants to buy this but my brain is holding me back.
There's no universal right or wrong. Options are good – they keep people choosing.

1655876827714.jpeg

junki

Hemi

Gremlins

An integrated DAC is a great solution if you don't have any other analog inputs to manage. On the rest of your comment, no preamp brings life to your music. The music, its recoding and speaker/headphone do that.
Thank you for your answer.
Once a friend of mine lend me an integrated amp ( vintage sansui) that i used the preamp section, listening to music was much more enjoyable than using my topping as preamp, its hard to describe but i would use the comment " music came to life " it you understand what i mean. Since, i am looking for a preamp.

Topping is good, no distortion or other problems, but listenibg are a little boring sometimes . I also feel lack of gain

I also attempted to use a fxaudii tube preamp , i had gain and more bass contrilled feeling, thus there was also some hiss in tweeters i could hear, so a no go

Anyway, finding equipment that suits tastes is difficult without spending hard earned money

Good day!

Top Bottom