• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dali speakers

mykeldg

I love them! No regrets and no "upgrade or sidegrade" thoughts at all. I never get tired listening to them. Good luck with your decisions, the KEF R7 must be excellent too?
I tried to side grade / upgrade away from the Rubicons (tried KEF R series, Dyn Excite, Dyn Special 40, ATC) but I kept coming back to Dali. The only speaker I have on my list now are the Epicons which will surely never happen as I can't afford it :D The KEF R series are excellent in their own right, its more focused, weightier, neutral and dispersion seems more even across the room. But it doesn't have the soulful sound of the Dali that I always crave. Might just be me and my subjective tastes.

mykeldg

here is a quick sound comparison between Rubicon 2 & Special 40 I have made. im fully aware that this is a very flawed comparison due to multitude of factors -- its just for fun and can give every one a hint of the sound sig differences (if listened through semi-decent/neutral headphones/IEM):

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
here is a quick sound comparison between Rubicon 2 & Special 40 I have made. im fully aware that this is a very flawed comparison due to multitude of factors -- its just for fun and can give every one a hint of the sound sig differences (if listened through semi-decent/neutral headphones/IEM):

Interesting. Listening through my big speakers. I prefer the Dali, as they were more clear sounding on vocals and instruments. The Special 40 seemed to go slightly deeper but the bass was just muddy, while the bass was more defined with the Dali and there was more "texture" on the kick drums.

MLaranjeiras

I see relatively little discussion about Dali speakers here, and nothing in the master review index. I wonder why? My impression is that these are popular speakers, with a reputation for delivering detail as well as musicality. Perhaps they are more common in Europe and Asia, than the US? I know that prices differ quite a lot (tens of percent, accounting for currency conversion) from one country to the next.

Many years ago I needed a small cheap bookshelf speaker for a temporary apartment, and heard the Zensor 1 at a shop. I was blown away by how good they sounded for the price (I paid a couple hundred bucks for the pair). I always thought that I might purchase a higher Dali pair and I always try to give a listen when I’m at an audio shop. I recall hearing the diminutive Menuet...I liked them...a lot...more than the popular KEF LS50 that sits at a similar price/quality point. The Menuets were going to be my next bookshelf speaker pair. But lately I’ve been scoping out the Rubicon 2, which add depth and meat well beyond what a Menuet can manage given its size constraints, but also delivering the tremendous detail and stage that I like about the Menuets. The Rubicon’s also seem to out-perform many popular competitors at similar price levels (such as the KEF R3), in terms of dynamics and detail (at least to my ears).

I plan to order a pair of Rubicon 2 in another week, but still open to alternative ideas, suggestions, or thoughts/impressions from others who know these speakers.
I have just bought a Dali Specktor 2 together with the award winning ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2. Same price in Europe. All I have to say is that a great suprise is, for sure, the Specktor 2. While the ELAC ares firm, well built, heavy, robust and neutral, like a floorstanding speaker on a small pack, the Dali Specktor 2 are like a fresh air or surprising view in your life. Is like a great surprise for an old man. While ELAC bass are strong, Dali surprises you with its smooth highs.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-06-16 at 15.48.26.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-06-16 at 15.48.26.jpeg
    181.3 KB · Views: 173

doorofnight

Dali is just not sexy for audiophiles. Epicon is too cheap for them :) Not exotic. Also for this forum DALI would be much more interesting if they published anechoic measurements of their speakers. But, shame on DALI, they don't do that.

Reactions: ENG

Streamc

I have just bought a Dali Specktor 2 together with the award winning ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2. Same price in Europe. All I have to say is that a great suprise is, for sure, the Specktor 2. While the ELAC ares firm, well built, heavy, robust and neutral, like a floorstanding speaker on a small pack, the Dali Specktor 2 are like a fresh air or surprising view in your life. Is like a great surprise for an old man. While ELAC bass are strong, Dali surprises you with its smooth highs.
I really do not like them with random amp in audio room. I mean Spector.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Dali is just not sexy for audiophiles. Epicon is too cheap for them :) Not exotic. Also for this forum DALI would be much more interesting if they published anechoic measurements of their speakers. But, shame on DALI, they don't do that.
The few measurements I have seen so far are not very good, so I doubt Dali's own measurements would bring something new too...

Reactions: ENG

steve59

Major Contributor
I know this forum likes to take pot shots at audiophiles, but whaat?

MLaranjeiras

I really do not like them with random amp in audio room. I mean Spector.
They was bought to be a really bookshelf speakers. Casual listening in a little office room, amplified by a vintage SANSUI A-α7. The source are Tune-in an Tidal, via a Mac Mini, a Topping E50 DAC with an Wireworld Eclipse 7 RCA cables and a Neo d+ USB Class S C cable (no sure for now if the NEO makes any difference related to a US$ 2.00 USB printer cable). I am having a really good time with them.

mr-audio

Love my Dali Opticon 5 floorstanding towers, running in a small library, powered by NAD M10 V2. Excellent sound over a wide range of music types, exceptionally transparent and realistic, detail and separation. However, I later bought a pair of Opticon 1 bookshelf models, which have nearly the same drivers, and they sound very poor, flat, muddy bass, not very clear or live sounding. Not sure why yet.

MLaranjeiras

Love my Dali Opticon 5 floorstanding towers, running in a small library, powered by NAD M10 V2. Excellent sound over a wide range of music types, exceptionally transparent and realistic, detail and separation. However, I later bought a pair of Opticon 1 bookshelf models, which have nearly the same drivers, and they sound very poor, flat, muddy bass, not very clear or live sounding. Not sure why yet.
Having a small room for AV, around 11m² (I have a 25m² room in my house, that is closed today), bookshelf speakers are the ideal. Due the good surprise brought by the Spektor, The Rubicon 2 might be my end point. Houever, costing more than US$ 2,000.00 a pair, I would like to listen before buy them. The size is also important. Focal Chora 806 is an more afordable option, but its size does not please me.

doorofnight

The few measurements I have seen so far are not very good, so I doubt Dali's own measurements would bring something new too...

There a lot of DALI speakers, some of them are quiet OK

bkdc

Forum Donor
I’m curious about the hybrid tweeter on the higher end Dali’s. I’m not sold on a two tweeter set-up. Since there is a cross-over at play anyway, you are still accepting the limitations of each type of tweeter at the involved frequencies. There would be expected wave interference/cancellation in a vertical listening window?

SynthesisCinema

Audioholics posted about week ago active wireless floorstanding speakers Dali Oberon 7C measurements by James Larson:

"We have a nice neutral response,and the OBERON 7Cs will deliver a sound that is faithful to the source material."

XDM

I've owned the Dali Spektor 2 speakers. To call them laid back would be an understatement, more like dull. Couldn't go loud (without distorting) either.

Last edited:

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've heard the Oberon 7 at an audio show and the Rubicon 6 at a dealer, and I wouldn't characterize them as laid back. Not sure about how loud they will go, but super loud levels are not my thing, anyway. Subjectively, I rather liked the sound of their hybrid tweeter on the Rubicon.

mr-audio

Here’s an update on my own post above… The Opticon one bookshelves which sounds so bad I originally listened to in a completely different room. Since that time I moved them into the same room as the Opticon 5 floorstanding. I just set them on the top of the floorstanding speakers. I was amazed how much they sound the same. So the room acoustics in this case made a massive difference. I have a subwoofer but I didn’t use it to compare the two sets. Yes I like the floorstanding ones better still, but I’d be hard-pressed to make that much of a distinction especially in the background listening (like what I’m doing other work).

Itsthesmell

Hi everyone, ive joined ASR to post my experience with DALI.
I had a pair of B&W DM600 bookshelf speakers that were used as height channels in my old home.
When we moved we placed the tv in the corner and the speakers were redundant as the mrs allowed me to put atmos speakers in the ceiling, (one of the factors in asking her to marry me a year later).

The 600s were surplus to requirements. We put a small office in a bedroom and i used the 600s in the one day and had a blast listening to music. But the 600s werent enough so I went to Richer sounds and did a demo of ALL the bookshelf speakers they had for under £1000. I liked the Focal Aria K6 (i think) for £699, the Oberon2 sounded good, but the bass was to baggy. After a couple of hours we'd finished our tests and i was underwhelmed with what I heard, i nearly chose the focals but just to make sure I got the salesman to stick the Rubicon 2s on and they blew me away. Chaka Khans vocals in Aint Nobody connected with me like never before. Id never connected with music like Dali rubicon 2s that day. The bass was strong but controlled, vocals were like the singing wasnt coming out of a speaker, the singer was in the room. My mrs didnt want me to spend £1599 on speakers so I asked her how much would you pay for chaka khan to come to your living room and sing? It worked.

They did a deal with me and when i got them home they were too strong for that room; having neighbours through a party wall. They recommended going for the menuet. These were the perfect compromise. Beautiful clarity and detail with controlled bass but not so much that it affects the neighbours. IMO Dali tune their speakers for female vocals. Acoustic guitar sound life like to, you can hear the wood vibrate as Ben Howard plucks the strings.
After a few months I upgradedthe crossover in the menuet to the SE version and noticed even more clarity but this time piano sounded clearer and more life-like but it took something away from acoustic guitar. The SE has the better sound over a narrower spectrum of music than the standard Menuet, the clarity is a step up but it reveals poor recordings more. The standard menuet are more forgiving.

On the back of this ive purchased Rubicon 5, Rubicon vokal (living room), Rubicon 2 (garage gym), Dali Atmos E60 in ceiling speakers and a DALI Kubik for the bedroom.

Id love to get some Epicons but I cant justify the price hike over the rubicons. Rubicons are 70% of the tech for 40% of the price of the Epicons.

They do require a decent amp to drive them though, ive had to spend thousands on amps to drive them, bare that in mind when testing them.

jmillar

So I just auditioned the Dali Rubicon and KEF R3, same amp and source, at Yodobashi. The Rubicon’s are very nice and rich sounding, I can understand what reviewers mean when they call them “musical” and “engaging.” The KEF R3 is indeed impressive, it is like a LS50 with an additional bass driver. The amp driving them (a Denon integrated with Max 80WPC) wasn’t powerful enough to make either pair stand up properly, but I could hear the extra bass extension of the KEF and the vocals sounded like the breath exhaling from the singer’s voice was coming out of the tweeter itself.

I can say now, without a doubt, if the KEF R3 were cheaper than the Dali Rubicon 2, I would buy them instantly. But the 30% higher price tag and their physical beef/heft gives me pause. Ah, buying speakers is quite a chore!

They had the active Dali Rubicon 2 as well, which had a better amp (should be) and they had a lot more substance relative to the passive driven by the Denon. It sounds great! But not as technically flat and transparent as the KEF.

I also went to another shop where the typical component price was in the 5 figure (USD) range. Some incredible gear, but only in my dreams...
The R3 are technically excellent and take EQ in stride. The Rubicons simply sound "great" to most people, even with fewer technical refinements in their design. Objectivists gravitate to KEF, many subjectivists lean towards the Rubicon 2. Remember that some "imperfections" ("coloring", the polite word for distortion) actually can sound pleasing to some people.

Top Bottom