• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focus - new active Dynaudio speakers

AudioGod66

The pricing on these is just dreadful. I predict Kef are going to sell 1 million Ls60 and the Focus 10 seriously ? No Esotar tweeter for the Focus 50. This will be over 20k in Australia getting close to Kii 3. Actually shocked how expensive the Kii 3 is here now
Huge pass

Last edited:

racingpht

The driver is a bit underwhelming to be honest, and certainly less technically advanced compared to KEF LS50 meta. Probably similar to a (later) Seas Prestige minus a shorting ring.

I'm a bit surprised that they don't give it much more excursion for a sealed woofer. I used to have a pair of Paradigm A2, which is also a sealed active speaker with great bass extension, but the SPL capability is probably more like a desktop speaker. And it was so much cheaper back then!

Dynaudio-Focus.jpg

Vacceo

Major Contributor
The pricing on these is just dreadful. I predict Kef are going to sell 1 million Ls60 and the Focus 10 seriously ? No Esotar tweeter for the Focus 50. This will be over 20k in Australia getting close to Kii 3. Actually shocked how expensive the Kii 3 is here now
Huge pass
The only advantage is Dirac, and Kef can counter it with relative ease allowing Dirac (or Audyssey, or any other room EQ software) to integrate on the DSP of the LS50W/60. On that department, Kef has the advantage of all the already sold units...

sweetmusic

The driver is a bit underwhelming to be honest, and certainly less technically advanced compared to KEF LS50 meta. Probably similar to a (later) Seas Prestige minus a shorting ring.

I'm a bit surprised that they don't give it much more excursion for a sealed woofer. I used to have a pair of Paradigm A2, which is also a sealed active speaker with great bass extension, but the SPL capability is probably more like a desktop speaker. And it was so much cheaper back then!

The way Dynaudio described their Focus tweeter, it sounded like they might have an equivalent to the KEF "meta" material for absorption. Is that right? I don't see anything like that in the woofer diagram, if I'm interpreting it correctly.

Are there objective specs that are worse for the Dynaudio drivers? Which specs do you think might measure worse?

racingpht

The way Dynaudio described their Focus tweeter, it sounded like they might have an equivalent to the KEF "meta" material for absorption. Is that right? I don't see anything like that in the woofer diagram, if I'm interpreting it correctly.

Are there objective specs that are worse for the Dynaudio drivers? Which specs do you think might measure worse?

Dynaudio did have multiple absorbers behind the tweeter dome, but I believe they work very different than the META material. I do appreciate that Hexis can protect soft dome tweeter from fingers.

As for the woofer, it looks like Dynaudio did improve the drivers compared to earlier generations, but it's nothing very fancy here. For example, KEF LS50meta woofer includes an aluminum shorting ring and an aluminum shorting disc, both will optimize distortion in the midrange under high excursions. I didn't compare the much more fancier motor of similar sizes like Dayton E150HE-44. BTW I believe Erin measured the old LS50 and some Dynaudio woofers.

Darvis

OTOH I have had Audioengine A5s since 2006 or 2007 that I have used in some temporary dwellings and have always been used somewhere, sometimes hard. They haven't ever failed. I know one singular case doesn't make a universal rule... but in the meantime I have had several single use electronics that failed at some point or the other, including very highly recommended brands...
Well, you can add me to the number of cases, it doubles it! Quite happy with those Audioengine.

tvih

I like Dynaudio speakers - both my main and desktop setups have Dyn main speakers. But I can't really reconcile the price of these for what they offer. At least on paper. The Focus 10s have the same drivers (well, very mildly tweaked) as their passive Evoke 10s, which go for 1500 for a pair. That's a lot of money for an integrated, sealed solution - 4000 sure would buy a lot of fancy separate electronics with savings on top. Curious for the reviews, regardless.

behappybevegan

Off topic I know.
The Adam Audio A77H looks interesting. 3-way active. Sonarworks optional. Something like 2600 euro a pair. But horizontal. And no digital in.

Last edited:

sweetmusic

I like Dynaudio speakers - both my main and desktop setups have Dyn main speakers. But I can't really reconcile the price of these for what they offer. At least on paper. The Focus 10s have the same drivers (well, very mildly tweaked) as their passive Evoke 10s, which go for 1500 for a pair. That's a lot of money for an integrated, sealed solution - 4000 sure would buy a lot of fancy separate electronics with savings on top. Curious for the reviews, regardless.
The Focus 20 XD listed for $5,999 USD and the Connect hub was another $499.

The new Focus 10 is actually a price drop of $1,000, with one less box and room correction. It's a price cut across the line.

I'm not saying that makes it a bargain, but at least the prices are moving in the right direction.

sweetmusic

Dynaudio did have multiple absorbers behind the tweeter dome, but I believe they work very different than the META material. I do appreciate that Hexis can protect soft dome tweeter from fingers.

As for the woofer, it looks like Dynaudio did improve the drivers compared to earlier generations, but it's nothing very fancy here. For example, KEF LS50meta woofer includes an aluminum shorting ring and an aluminum shorting disc, both will optimize distortion in the midrange under high excursions. I didn't compare the much more fancier motor of similar sizes like Dayton E150HE-44. BTW I believe Erin measured the old LS50 and some Dynaudio woofers.
Interesting! Thanks for those details. In the LS50 the surface area of the mid range drivers is smaller, and they need higher excursion, so it makes sense to add the shorting ring and disc. It might be that the more conventional driver in the Dynaudio has similar or lower distortion. The measurements will tell!

AudioGod66

The Focus 20 XD listed for $5,999 USD and the Connect hub was another $499.

The new Focus 10 is actually a price drop of $1,000, with one less box and room correction. It's a price cut across the line.

I'm not saying that makes it a bargain, but at least the prices are moving in the right direction.
The 60 xd cleared all across Australia for half price an example here most were new in box https://lifestylestore.com.au/product/dynaudio-focus-60xd-active-bookshelf-speakers-ex-demo/ $7748 . The Focus 20 xd https://www.classaaudio.com.au/book...bookshelf-speakers-ex-demo-5706937322714.html went for $3750. Personally would I pay 15 k for the new model with Dirac - no way

AudioGod66

It looks like Dynaudio must have had some price feedback and are selling them a little less than what they were going to be listed in Australia for

sweetmusic

It's also to be expected that they would discount the old model when the new one has just launched. What was the going price in Australia a year ago?

Imo, $2,500 USD for premium two way passive speakers that reach down to 50 Hz is fairly typical of the market. Make it active for another $2,500. Add room correction and add the streaming for $500 more. That gets you the list price of $5,500.

A smaller shop that's buying and assembling premium parts could probably offer on-paper similar quality for $3,500. Most shops like that wouldn't have the computer modeling and measurement lab and engineers.

This is a still a relatively new category of product. There will be multiple price points. Eventually if the market grows Dynaudio will offer multiple levels as well. They're not a budget speaker, so I wouldn't expect them to be the lowest price at any level of the range, but they're also not completely crazy expensive like Borresen and a few others.

At some point I would really enjoy having all in one Dynaudio, KEF, Focal or Revel speakers. (Hope someone who works at Harman sees this!) The feature set is exactly what I want.

It would be fun to try all of them and spend a couple years with each :)

sweetmusic

It's also to be expected that they would discount the old model when the new one has just launched. What was the going price in Australia a year ago?

Imo, $2,500 USD for premium two way passive speakers that reach down to 50 Hz is fairly typical of the market. Make it active for another $2,500. Add room correction and add the streaming for $500 more. That gets you the list price of $5,500.

A smaller shop that's buying and assembling premium parts could probably offer on-paper similar quality for $3,500. Most shops like that wouldn't have the computer modeling and measurement lab and engineers.

This is a still a relatively new category of product. There will be multiple price points. Eventually if the market grows Dynaudio will offer multiple levels as well. They're not a budget speaker, so I wouldn't expect them to be the lowest price at any level of the range, but they're also not completely crazy expensive like Borresen and a few others.

At some point I would really enjoy having all in one Dynaudio, KEF, Focal or Revel speakers. (Hope someone who works at Harman sees this!) The feature set is exactly what I want.

I'll add that eventually I would expect an all-in-one solution to sell for less than separates and deliver better sound for the price. While these kinds of speakers are still new, there isn't yet much competition, and sales volume isn't high enough for full economies of scale, it makes sense that they'd cost a bit more.

Soon we'll see the full spectrum from sub $1,000 streaming monitors with room correction up to reference series that cost $15,000 and up for the same feature set but better quality parts and finish. Dynaudio is starting in the middle of that range with what's probably already a great sounding speaker.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
The last time I listened to an active Dynaudio it sounded quite muffled. Ime they can't touch the likes of Genelec and other pro active monitors. I would like to be surprised by a good measuring one, but I'm not holding my breath in anticipation.

AudioGod66

That was 2 years ago ! They cleared half price

tvih

As I said though, this is basically a closed active version of their Evoke 10 which is 1500 dollars for a pair.

Moonhead

I live less than an hours drive from there factory and couldnt care less, listen to a lot of there monitors and Xeo Series
and where never that impressed as cheaper monitors like JBL, Adam and others did way better. Either feels like they or not trying to compete because of loyal customers or they dont have the knowledge to make a genuine monitor.
Its a shame really, because i Think they got the designs right.

Last edited:

Flak

Industry Insider
The last time I listened to an active Dynaudio it sounded quite muffled. Ime they can't touch the likes of Genelec and other pro active monitors. I would like to be surprised by a good measuring one, but I'm not holding my breath in anticipation.
Comparisons between speakers can be difficult... BruelKjaer demonstrated way back in 1978 with blind tests that the room can change the ranking i.e. from 1st place to 3rd (document attached)
In my admittedly biased opinion, what makes these Dynaudio Focus speakers somehow unique is Dirac Live which allows on-site custom tailoring of the tonal balance (magnitude response) as desired.

Attachments

• BruelKjaerSceltaDiffusori.pdf
    4.6 MB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Top Bottom