• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark Audio AEON RT Review (closed headphone)

JanesJr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes, the white inserts with one notch are fitted when you get the headphones from DCA directly. It is even mentioned in the documentation you get with these headphones.
This makes it difficult to compare EQ profiles since you have to remove and re-install the inserts when switching between EQ settings.
The Drop/DCA version I got did not have the pads inserted despite website mention that the white one-notch insert is pre-installed; I still have them unused in a little packaging baggie. (For that matter, neither did my Noires, direct from DCA .. )

Last edited:

JanesJr1

Wow. Never thought about this. Maybe that's partly why I was experiencing thin and overly bright sound with the RT's. I may have equalized the highs way above harman in reality, due to this. Now I still believe there might hsve been leakage issues due to the fact that it didn't respond much to EQ in the bass region, but this makes sense.
Maybe you all know this, but Oratory has both the RT and Drop X versions. The Drop version is "Aeon X Closed". The RT's really have a different treble profile in particular.

The more I think about it, the less likely it seems to me that Oratory would have used the inserts. It's either EQ or inserts logically so why use both? There are multiple inserts so why assume a reader would know which one is used, or whether one was used at all? How could one avoid footnoting the use of inserts to avoid an obvious source of confusion? I mean, he takes the time customize the user gain adjustments section for each EQ....

That still doesn't settle it for sure, I guess.

Sama

Does it come with the white inserts already fitted when you buy the headphone?
Yeah, mine certainly come with white inserts and without them they do sound distinctly bright-ish.

I kind of suspect Oratory measured them with inserts due to +6db adjustment in the resultant EQ around 2300-ish Hz. Like, that's a lot and IMHO sounds a bit weird (Oratory EQ + inserts sounds neutraler and closer to how Amir's EQ goes without inserts but then again no way to properly A/B given that I have to add/remove inserts heh)

Blake

I listen with the oratory EQ without inserts but prefer it with the high shelf filter dialed down. I wonder if this is why.

Can’t we just ask him?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Drop/DCA version I got did not have the pads inserted despite website mention that the white one-notch insert is pre-installed; I still have them unused in a little packaging baggie. (For that matter, neither did my Noires, direct from DCA .. )
In that case someone would probably need to ask Oratory exactly how he measured the Closed X (re white inserts), and also to get confirmation of the same re the Aeon RT. His measurements are certainly different between the Closed X and Aeon RT, but to an extent I wouldn't expect it to be due to the inserts. @Sama , you might need to ask Oratory again, and praps also ask him about the Closed X. He was a bit vague when he responded to you before.

Daltong

FWIW I ended up staying with Amir's EQ. I tried several others (including of my own making and oratory), using MiniDSP OpenDRC (toslink in - toslink out) as my EQ solution of choice and Topping L50+E50 as DAC/amp (Also have qudelix but I am sick and tired of all weird little glitches it has, esp on linux)

Other EQs sound slightly off in ways Amir's doesnt.
I might dial down ultralow bass shelf a bit to 2.5-3 for particular music (infected mushroom may get a bit, uh, extra with 3.5) but that's about it.

I'm using mine without the white pads, and white pads came pre-installed for me so I guess I join the "white pad suspicion squad" wrt Oratory's EQ (having said that I can't say the +6 db it does sounds all that bad, kind of subtly off, and tiring, at worst)

I might get to measure up to 4 EQ settings in a month or so on a srs bzns anatomically correct headphone measurement rig (there's a lab in my place of residence, and they occasionally measure equipment for free FOR SCIENCE!)

Daltong

Okay, I compared the EQ of MiniDSP OpenDRC-DI and qudelix and noticed that sound is substantially different on Qudelix. I measured the MiniDSP using RMAA (spdif-in-spdif-out-spdif in and a really weird picture showed up. Investigation ongoing.

starfly

Forum Donor
Considering getting these - how hot do these get on your ears, given that they're closed?

JanesJr1

Considering getting these - how hot do these get on your ears, given that they're closed?
I use the RT and Noire constantly. The only time I've noticed the heat was when I came in already hot and sweaty and put the phones on; it went away after a little bit. Otherwise I never notice it.

pk500

The seal is very tight, especially if you have a big head. Whether that leads to overheating depends on your tolerance level.

starfly

Forum Donor
What is a good very portable and small DAC/AMP that can power this headphone well? For example, I have the Hidizs S8 as well as the Fiio BTR5 (2021), but not sure those have enough power for this. As I do most of my headphone listening by streaming from my phone.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
What is a good very portable and small DAC/AMP that can power this headphone well? For example, I have the Hidizs S8 as well as the Fiio BTR5 (2021), but not sure those have enough power for this. As I do most of my headphone listening by streaming from my phone.
E1DA 9038S.
It's tiny:
IMG_20220223_140555__01.jpg
But has ridiculous power into low impedance loads:
Screenshot_20220223-135805_Sheets.jpg

JanesJr1

Thanks, looks like it's balanced output only though, and I see warnings everywhere not to use a 2.5mm>3.5mm adapter. So it wouldn't work for all my other headphones.
I use the Hidizs S9 Pro (I also have the E1DA.) The S9 has both 2.5mm balanced and 3.5mm single-ended connections. It works very well through the balanced connector with the Aeon RT and Aeon 2 Noire (I use it all the time). If you connect to a cell phone, you may also want to look at the Qudelix 5k, which has both connectors, as well as an EQ function and a battery; I understand it also has the power to drive the DCA phones with the balanced connector.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, looks like it's balanced output only though, and I see warnings everywhere not to use a 2.5mm>3.5mm adapter. So it wouldn't work for all my other headphones.
They have made (think out of production at the minute) a single ended 9038D. See if you can find any for sale

staticV3

Master Contributor
The single ended 9038D has not nearly the same output power at high loads, so I would recommend against it for DCA headphones.

Astoneroad

Forum Donor
Wow. I just ordered a pair of these on Drop for $345 w/ free shipping. Code "July22" got me the discount off the already discounted price of $399. With the savings I picked up a SABAJ A10h Headphone Amplifier during Amazon Prime Days for $104! This is my first Headphone/Amp purchase based on Amir's review. I trusted him previously and now have a full Revel 5.1 system... veils have been lifted all over the place. Thanks for the education to Amir and the shared knowledge by ASR members.

Edit: I just checked Drop... they're sold out. I hope some of you guys grabbed them at that price.

Last edited:

shrimp_dude

Wow. I just ordered a pair of these on Drop for $345 w/ free shipping. Code "July22" got me the discount off the already discounted price of $399. With the savings I picked up a SABAJ A10h Headphone Amplifier during Amazon Prime Days for $104! This is my first Headphone/Amp purchase based on Amir's review. I trusted him previously and now have a full Revel 5.1 system... veils have been lifted all over the place. Thanks for the education to Amir and the shared knowledge by ASR members.

Edit: I just checked Drop... they're sold out. I hope some of you guys grabbed them at that price.
Excellent price on the sabaj a10h.

FreaK

Damn. I ordered the Closed X at the end of June, with the "22SUMMERSTARTED" Code, but it was only -$20 from the $399 :(

Top Bottom