• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Klipsch rp-600M II reviews

GDWL34

My set-up is with a REL 5ti subwoofer and technics vintage amp. I sold the subwoofer as they don’t need one. The technics has a loudness button and simply does a great job. Spiked metal stands with sand from Omaha beach and Pro-Ject carbon turntable and is a brilliant office set-up. Main room speakers are 10x price and these bookshelf speakers are fun!!!!!!

Attachments

• ECD94816-05F8-4109-B77F-9D920A7C0761.jpeg
    ECD94816-05F8-4109-B77F-9D920A7C0761.jpeg
    190.5 KB · Views: 266

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure.
I deff play with EQ/DSP and agree that as Toole suggests tone controls are a good thing.
Doesn't work for dispersion, which I have discovered is huge for me.
Doesn't work for Dynamics which I have discovered is another big one.
Also doesn't work for that X% that even Olive and Toole admit makes subjective testing a requirement even if the measurements alone are good.
I also agree, dispersion must match the needs of listening distance and room acousticss and dynamics/distortion must be enough for the used SPLs.

Some speakers are just toe tap inducing for me and others are not. Some of the tap inducers vary significantly from 1 to another in actual presentation.
Who knows what that is. After so many speakers I'd find it hard that bias is at play and interestingly my GF tends to have the same experince with the same speakers.(thankfully)
For me the biggest influence to "toe tapping" is the bass region and after that the whole FR of course which is in accordance to Tooles statements. Unfortunately upmost 2.0 systems have some significant dips in the bass region which make the sound lifeless and kill any fun.

Jim Shaw

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Klipsch RP600M, fool me once. They were annoying. RP600MV2, fool me twice? I am content with my Elac DBR62s. The Elacs don't annoy me.
To me, the first rule of HiFi is:
Don't be annoying.

-Just one man's view.

changer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
To my eyes, the dispersion pattern, especially in the crossover region, of the V1 is superior to V2, and hence with a proper equalization of V1 a better result than V2 could be attained. If drivers can follow EQ without distorting.

telemike

Klipsch RP600M, fool me once. They were annoying. RP600MV2, fool me twice? I am content with my Elac DBR62s. The Elacs don't annoy me.
To me, the first rule of HiFi is:
Don't be annoying.

-Just one man's view.

I have the Elac's as well and they just sound so good!

theyellowspecial

Forum Donor
They need to sort out their sensitivity ratings. People are buying these speakers to use with low power amps thinking they are highly efficient.

It's disingenuous at best.
Probably 90%+ are buying these from a big box store to use with their 100w/ch receiver.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Nice reviews :)

A freq. response curve can say a couple of things , but your ears are the judge to tell if the music sounds really natural or not.
I guess one easy mod that can be had with this loudspeakers and many JBL:s are a bit more damping material inside and maybe also a crossbrace.
Those klipsch 600 mkII seems also like a very good candidate to be active modified.
I did this with my jbl 530 and the sound was clearly better with an active dsp crossover instead of the passive stock crossovers.
A mini dsp and two Aiyima a07 is all thats needed and the sound has the possibility to be better than any expensive single amplifier with the inbuilt passive crossover - if you do it right.

D4711B25-7C6E-42E4-99D8-331D655E5F2E.jpeg

Last edited:

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably 90%+ are buying these from a big box store to use with their 100w/ch receiver.
yes but the other ten percent think they are buying a speaker compatible with their six watt valve amp and are being totally misled by the spec.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Those klipsch 600 mkII seems also like a very good candidate to be active modified.

I don't see the need. The crossover itself is good (horizontally) and you'd have to go with a very steep filter to get the vertical to match up better. Personally, I don't think it's as important. But, I do think some DSP can be useful to help shape the balance. Or, a few modifications to the crossover to tame the HF.

IMHO.

Tangband

Major Contributor
I don't see the need. The crossover itself is good (horizontally) and you'd have to go with a very steep filter to get the vertical to match up better. Personally, I don't think it's as important. But, I do think some DSP can be useful to help shape the balance. Or, a few modifications to the crossover to tame the HF.

IMHO.
You might be right about that. Very nice with a good measuring Klipsch .:)
I enjoy your channel very much and I watched your review of this loudspeaker 3 hours ago.

I have a question : Is my suspicion valid about maybe to little damping material inside this loudspeaker, and the eventually need for an extra crossbrace ? This is something thats rather easy to do DIY. I have also watched Gresearch teardown of the former 600M model, and I guess its the same with this new loudspeaker ?

Edit: With an active dsp crossover, you can also extend the bass freq 5-10 Hz with some clever boosting and a HP filter right below the tuning freq. This way one can also play a little louder with less distortion.

Because this passive original version is already good, one can always only DIY one speaker at a time and make it active, and keep the other as a reference until the active version is audible better.:)

Last edited:

Tangband

Major Contributor
So out if curiosity what level is the harmonic distortion from 400-600hrz in the rp150m?
I have never used that speaker just wondering what you found.
I tested the rp160m and that driver (same one as the 600m version 1) is really robust with really low distortion for the class. If it is even lower in the 600m v2 then wonderful but the 160m was already doing very well.

The other thing is high levels of HD at 500hrz are more likely to affect the sound of the upper mids. Not sure if that is typically warming. (1000hrz-1500hrz)
What might make them sound warm is HD from say 40-150hrz which you then hear as a potential thickening and additive (warming?)at 80-450hrz if the HD is 2nd & 3rd order.
Amirm did review rp600M :)

A95E1125-CB92-42B9-B9E8-27F4150A3E6A.png

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Amirm did review rp600M :)

View attachment 209047
Less than 2% at 10volts(the old ASR HD standard)
That is about 100db with these.
That is very low by any standard.
Not to mention that is 2nd order.
3rd is about 0.5% over a small range at 100db@1meter.
I seriously doubt that anyone is hearing that and I'd venture it is better(lower at 10volts/100db) than about 98% of all bookshelf speakers that exist.
Plus look at how low the woofer is in the bass given a 10volt input.
Superb. Which is what I believe I heard with the RP160. Very low distortion though perhaps a bit off from time to time in tonality.
I just didn't quite like the narrow dispersion so with the new waveguide and better pre PEQ'd responce, Klipsch may have a really sweet speaker going out.
yes but the other ten percent think they are buying a speaker compatible with their six watt valve amp and are being totally misled by the spec.
Yah and that 10% listen at like 70db so who honestly cares. (6watts will drive a pair of them to about 90-95db in a medium room. Enough for many)

I found my RP160's to be reasonable efficient. Much much much more so than my JBL 530's which while being a speaker I do prefer to the Klipsch, require gobs of power to play loudly in a mediumish 12x23' space.

OP
T

tjtremor

My set-up is with a REL 5ti subwoofer and technics vintage amp. I sold the subwoofer as they don’t need one. The technics has a loudness button and simply does a great job. Spiked metal stands with sand from Omaha beach and Pro-Ject carbon turntable and is a brilliant office set-up. Main room speakers are 10x price and these bookshelf speakers are fun!!!!!!
I'm surprised you don't need the subwoofer with them. Completely different on my side with the rp-600m.
Have dual subwoofers and have a good balance and low end to keep up with them.

Might be the very lean sr605 Onkyo sound or high volume but without subwoofer it doesn't sound amazing to me.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Fyi, the original Klipsch RP 600m and whole RP line is on sale @adorama. I believe you must link to the sale through slickdeals.net (legit)
Example RP-600m $350. New, authorized retailer.
Prices show at checkout only not before.
Buy the OG and use some PEQ.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Current Amazon price is showing older RP-600M at $399 (newer 'II' version at $749).
Is there >5dB improvement in performance to match the equal increase in price?
What is a >5db improvement? You query doesn't make sense to me.

It has been released at the same price the original was selling at. You are comparing clearance/closeout pricing, the suggested retail is the same. Plus if you want a deal the post I made right before your is better. $350 at adorama.com
Erin's review, listed in this thread has a comparison between older and new.

Nathan11

They need to sort out their sensitivity ratings. People are buying these speakers to use with low power amps thinking they are highly efficient.

It's disingenuous at best.

I read that the Version 2 is like 86dB's while the Version 1 was ~91dB's.

Top Bottom