• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How do I interpret EQs from different people?

Revolite

I'm learning about EQ adjustments at the moment and have found several sources that seem to provide a decent starting point but I don't completely understand how they came up with their values or if a different balance suits different purposes? Is room correction different? Or maybe it doesn't matter at all because my room is not their room and I should just let me ear holes do the work?

I have put links to what I am talking about below

from

Newman

Major Contributor
Generally speaking, the EQ that intelligent reviewers recommend above the bass is to correct measured aberrations in the on-axis (or listening window) anechoic response of the speaker. This can be a good thing, as long as the reviewers have intelligently analysed reasons for the aberrations and determined that they are suitable for equalisation.

In the bass, below a few hundred hertz, correction needs to be in-room and ungated (including echoes from the room surfaces). This “room correction” is almost universally a good thing, as long as the speaker can handle it and it is intelligently done, eg don’t try to EQ to flat a huge room null, and don’t try to EQ a speaker to flat FR below its ‘rated’ low frequency.

However, “room correction” algorithms above the bass are a much more iffy proposition. If the unequalised speaker is very poor in terms of FR and coloured sound, it might actually help. But if the unequalised speaker is excellent, the room correction algorithm is very likely to make the anechoic FR less accurate, which is highly undesirable.

cheers

Top Bottom