• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review: Apple vs Google USB-C Headphone Adapters

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is this one out of stock everywhere?
The hifi PRO hasnt been in stock anywhere for months. I have seen the standard hifi version on aliexpress recently (think meizu themselves have a shop front there)

Alec246

I asked AliExpress for refund on my Tempotec Dongle, and will be using an Apple USB-C Dongle in the meanwhile, at least until the market shows a nice product again that doesnt have to cost 100+ euros.

May I have a suggestion on how to use these on a desktop? The USB connector is on the back of my case. Should I go with an USB-C extender cable, or and USB Hub?

Thanks!

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor

BJL

Also bear in mind these dongles have ADC feature as well.
Is the ADC stereo or just mono (for the mic)? I have a few LPs (vinyl) that were not released on CD (or other digital format) it would be super convenient if I could connect to my Mac for recording via the Apple dongle.

Garrincha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I know, this is an old thread and the test was for the USB-C Version. My question is about the power of the lighning version. I didn't have the dongle and always used extra ones. I got one now. The tested unit has 31mW at 33 Ohm. I have a headphone with sensitivity of 100 dB/mW SPL and 23 Ohm impedance. It hardly gets loud enough or at least not very loud, yet the calculator (e.g. https://www.headphonesty.com/headphone-power-calculator/) says that 28 mW should be sufficient to drive it to (almost) deafening 114 dB SPL. Is the lightning version different or am I missing something?

staticV3

Master Contributor
@Garrincha make sure there's not some kind of limiter in place and that you get the full 1.0Vrms with a 60Hz 0dBFS test file and a multimeter.
PS: 100 dB/mW SPL and 23 Ohm equals 116.38dB/Vrms, ergo 116.38dB SPL max with your dongle

Garrincha

@Garrincha make sure there's not some kind of limiter in place and that you get the full 1.0Vrms with a 60Hz 0dBFS test file and a multimeter.
PS: 100 dB/mW SPL and 23 Ohm equals 116.38dB/Vrms, ergo 116.38dB SPL max with your dongle
Thanks for the answer. Unfortunately I have no measuring equipment at hand. The limiter would be where, in the headphone, the dongle or the iPhone? Also another IEM I have, with a sensitivity of 105 dB/mW SPL and 32 Ohm, suffers from the same problem. According to the calculator only 10mW would be required for 115dB. But it does not get as loud as I sometimes would like to have it (quite loud!). My Fiio Ka3 or Hidizs S9 Pro drive them just finely. I am aware that the Apple dongle has less power, but I cannot reproduced the reported numbers. So is there a way to check where the limiting factor is without measurement tools?

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the answer. Unfortunately I have no measuring equipment at hand. The limiter would be where, in the headphone, the dongle or the iPhone? Also another IEM I have, with a sensitivity of 105 dB/mW SPL and 32 Ohm, suffers from the same problem. According to the calculator only 10mW would be required for 115dB. But it does not get as loud as I sometimes would like to have it (quite loud!). My Fiio Ka3 or Hidizs S9 Pro drive them just finely. I am aware that the Apple dongle has less power, but I cannot reproduced the reported numbers. So is there a way to check where the limiting factor is without measurement tools?

IMO, iOS throttles (limits the voltage) of the dongle if you assign it as “headphone”. If you assign it as “Car Stereo” you should get the full power out of it. The dongle pretty much turns my IEM to ear bleeding levels and that’s just 2/3rd of the iOS volume slider

6BB8E7CE-7801-442A-B020-2A7DF764B83C.jpeg

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn´t find it as well, looks like Android to me.

You might have the EU version of the iPhone which would only give 0.5V instead of the 1V from the USA iPhone version:

You can also try turning off headphone safety notifications

8d2b6d7e-8b1d-4081-a5bb-f6190dbaefc0

Garrincha

You might have the EU version of the iPhone which would only give 0.5V instead of the 1V from the USA iPhone version:

Maybe it is this, I bought it in Germany, is there a way to check this (without measuring) ?
You can also try turning off headphone safety notifications
I did already, this does not help operating on 100%.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe it is this, I bought it in Germany, is there a way to check this (without measuring) ?

I did already, this does not help operating on 100%.
EU model A2155 (0,5V)
US/ Intl (hopefully full 1v) A2049

Unless there has been revisions of course

EDIT- ignore , didnt read full thread, these are the USB C models not lightning .

Last edited:
Top Bottom