• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hedd Audio Type 07 MK2

sandronohl

Hi guys

I just unpacked my new Hedd Audio Type 07 MK2. I am using an Apollo Twin interface to connect to the speakers.

I thought this would require me to connect the XLR cable to the AES input. However, there was no sound so I switched to the analog input and now everything is working correctly.
Is that normal? Do I misunderstand something? I thought, using a UAD interface would then mean a digital input -> AES.

Thank you.

Olius

AES is a digital audio format that typically uses XLR as its connector. The Universal Audio Apollo Twin does not have a digital audio output, only analog. Analog TRS out of the Apollo into the analog input of the speakers works as you noted. The AES input on the speakers expect digital audio which the Apollo Twin cannot output. Hence no sound. If you want to connect the speakers using AES you need an interface with an AES output. I'm using an RME UCX II that has an AES output and it works great.

Last edited:
OP
S

sandronohl

AES is a digital audio format that typically uses XLR as its connector. The Universal Audio Apollo Twin does not have a digital audio output, only analog. Analog TRS out of the Apollo into the analog input of the speakers works as you noted. The AES input on the speakers expect digital audio which the Apollo Twin cannot output. Hence no sound. If you want to connect the speakers using AES you need an interface with an AES output. I'm using an RME UCX II that has an AES output and it works great.
Thank you very much for your comment! Now it makes sense. Well, I love my UAD interface so I will stay with it. I mean, the sound is great as well in the analog setting... So no real advantage to change I guess?

Olius

If the AD conversion in the speaker is good enough, and I have no reason to believe it isn't, then using the analog input should be totally fine. My Genelec speakers have both AES and analog in and I heard no difference in audio quality when I switched to AES.

Top Bottom