• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone with the same sound profile and quality as AKG K371 but better build quality?

tonyo123

If you travel, get the Etymotic ER4-XR. Best warm articulate sound, tremendous noise isolation (great on planes), durable (also has replaceable cables), extremely light, comes with the nice leatherette box with multitude of accessories plus a smaller travel zip pouch.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They would only be more enjoyable to me, they may not be preferred to you.

For closed back (the K371 is closed) I prefer the DT1770 (modified and filtered), DT1350 (EQ'ed) and Audeze Sine with Vesper Audio pads and a passive filter.
The K371 sounded good (with treble filter) but fit, longevity and microphonic cable were downsides as well as the pads (I prefer velour)
Hi solderdude. Can you help me understand what you mean by a passive filter for the Audeze Sine? I have been in touch with Vesper Audio, and so have a path to acquiring the over ear pads but would like to understand what you are doing for this passive filter. Thanks. Oh, you also mentioned that you prefer velour, are the Sine pads that you bought velour? Their most popular are the real leather.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The Sine pads are the leather kind. I was afraid the velour would take away too much bass and wanted to make the Sine a headphone usable without any EQ. It does need the treble peak removed. Info about the Sine + filter is here
The pads I use are:
black real whole grain leather+memory foam, 20 mm thick.

The filter can be made by yourself or someone you know who can or I can make one for you.

Weeb Labs

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Have you considered the Razer Opus? Brand connotations aside, they exhibit a very similar frequency response to that of the K371 and are a Bluetooth headphone with ANC.

1617157009846.png

jmillar

get a box for K371. :)
try Audiotechnica M40x.
Try some closed back Sennheisers - they sturdy, but I cannot come up with models.
Senn HD25. Good but very different
The AT (IMHO) are not a match in the sonic stakes.
The Beyer DT-770pro Great build. Do NOT have similar tuning to K371 or K361
A "hard case" for the K371 is a must. Baby them, adjust them once and don't touch the thumbscrews EVER again. Don't let your buddies look at them, never mind TOUCH.
Get a roll of DUCT TAPE and carefully tape everything hard and tight like an egyptian mummy.
I would think this is a bit of an embarrassment. Turned an excellent hphone into a disposable.

Last edited:

JWAmerica

If you can apply eq the MSR7B is also closed backed and well built. Just needs slight bass boost and the treble attenuated.

Oluv's Buddy

I'm looking for alternatives myself because I'm having comfort issues. Out of those I've owned Beyer DT250-250 was pretty similar sound wise and well built. I've heard good things about Dan Clarke Aeon 2 closed and it measures close to the Harman target. Other possible candidates based on measurements are NAD HP70 and Sennheiser PXC550-II but I don't know about build qulity.

Was the DT-250 the one you had comfort issues with?

I tried the AKG-K371 about a year ago and I didn't like it much although it was my first foray into headphones. Do you find it similar in tone to the K371?

markanini

Major Contributor
Was the DT-250 the one you had comfort issues with?

I tried the AKG-K371 about a year ago and I didn't like it much although it was my first foray into headphones. Do you find it similar in tone to the K371?
I had the comfort issue with the K371. The Beyer DT250-250 only had a channel imbalance issue. If we're being picky about comfort the DT250 would cause a hot spot on the top of the scalp on long sessions.

Jabinho

I really like the K371 but the build quality is very terrible per my experience. I travel quite a bit for either work or business and they all 3 broke within months. What headphone that would yield the same positive experience as the K371 but with better build quality?
K361 is better one.

Strato007

what about Senn HD 560S model vs K371? even though they give different sound signatures, they cost similarly and are very good both to use as a complement.

Top Bottom