• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

Markmosk

I finally traced an annoying hiss/crackle to the D90 DAC. I am using RCA unbalanced out. As long as the DAC is plugged in, even if turned off, and even if using a different input on the amp, it creates some sort of interference hiss/crackle in the speakers. At first I thought this maybe normal low audible stuff you get, but it's worse. I switched power cables 3 times. No diff. I switched interconnects, and so on. Any other DAC using same cables, not there. Likewise, any other amp, it is there. I first noticed it when playing records, and thought it was a grounding issue on the TT. Because the DAC was off. Is there somehting that someone else has discovered? Has this been discussed? Thank you. The sound of it is superior I feel to several other comparable DACS I've tried so I'd like troubleshoot this and put it back in the game.

Final

I finally traced an annoying hiss/crackle to the D90 DAC. I am using RCA unbalanced out. As long as the DAC is plugged in, even if turned off, and even if using a different input on the amp, it creates some sort of interference hiss/crackle in the speakers. At first I thought this maybe normal low audible stuff you get, but it's worse. I switched power cables 3 times. No diff. I switched interconnects, and so on. Any other DAC using same cables, not there. Likewise, any other amp, it is there. I first noticed it when playing records, and thought it was a grounding issue on the TT. Because the DAC was off. Is there somehting that someone else has discovered? Has this been discussed? Thank you. The sound of it is superior I feel to several other comparable DACS I've tried so I'd like troubleshoot this and put it back in the game.
Maybe you should try to connect the D90 directly to a power amplifier (not an integrated) and see if it is there. To me this sounds like som sort of grounding issue. And yes, TTs are often to blame, and ground issues works in mysterious ways. Tried XLR?

Markmosk

The Integrated is a Naim XS2. Was just on my way to another setup to try with xlrs on another amp. What's puzzling is power off, still have the noise on any input with interconnects. And with TT disconnected. Have to physically disconnect the power cable to the D90. I will say this, even with the noise, it still sounds better than other DACS.

Final

Well, if it still creates noise in a completely other setup I would've sendt it in for repair. I would check at a friends house to be sure. I am not unfamiliar with strange grounding issues using the D90.

In my setup I use xlr all the way, except for a digital riaa (Puffin) that from the TT sends its stream of 0 and 1 to my Topping D90 through Optical. Strangely enough I get a slight noise in my system using Optical!

This goes away when adding XLR cables from the digital RIAA and connecting it directly to my Preamp (just connected - no signal travels there, it travels from puffin - to dac - to preamp ). Others have experienced this issue with optical output to the D90 and added separate grounding to preamp from Puffin. so I guess this is a design flaw in the Puffin which demands some xtra grounding.

Markmosk

Thank you for the ideas. XLR was fine. But different environment too. So I put it back in the original room, but on a different shelf. And re-arranged components. I also added back the little BT antenna I had taken off. Now it is fine. Don't know whether or not having the antenna on mattered, but I don't want to re-arrange again to find out. It must have been transducing something from somewhere to put hash through the system even when off.

domiji

Hello ASR Community,

can someone of the D90 owners here tell me if the DAC is still in DSD Direct mode when DoP DSD is used?

Thanks for your help :)

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Hello ASR Community,

can someone of the D90 owners here tell me if the DAC is still in DSD Direct mode when DoP DSD is used?

Thanks for your help :)

I’m pretty sure it is. DSDD is a feature of the AK4499 chip, which has no concept of DoP. I believe the DoP unpacking is done by the XMOS XU208/216 chip.

Jens

On my Topping D90 the OLED has bright and weak segments.
Can I get it repaired, and if yes where?

Could the problem have developed because the DAC has been turned on for a very long time and therefor got to warm inside over a long time?

Attachments

• USE d90 display low part 3.jpg
    USE d90 display low part 3.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 74

Final

I would recommend you adress the issue with a Topping dealer in your country. Your first name may suggest you are from Norway. In that case www.hifisentralen.no is the dealer.

Jens

Thanks.
I am from Denmark. I am now in NJ, USA. I have not received any response from the Topping dealers I have addressed in the USA.

pLudio

Forum Donor
Could the problem have developed because the DAC has been turned on for a very long time and therefor got to warm inside over a long time?
OLED wears out. Set the screen brightness to Low and turn it off when not in use. An auto off screen mode would have been nice.

UCrazyKid

Jarrett

@JohnYang1997

The HS01 product listing on Toppings website says it provides 1KVRMS isolation, does that functionality seem safe in such a small package? The Ikona 7054 Standard version rated at 1KVRMS is much larger, the 7055-B/C 5KVRMS devices are even larger.

The Ikona 7055-C offers 1KVDC isolation on USB 3.0 and 5KVRMS isolation on USB 2.0:
  • Provides galvanic isolation to the USB bus
  • Compliant to USB 3.0 (3.1 Gen 1) SuperSpeed (5 GBps) and 2.0 Hi-Speed (480 MBps)
  • Backwards compatible to Full Speed and Low Speed
  • 1kV DC Isolation of USB 3.0 part
  • 5kV RMS Isolation of USB 2.0 part...
Ikona has a 1KV isolation device, not as small as the HS01 that offers similar features to the HS01, the Ikona 7054 Standard Version...USB 2.0 Hi-Speed Isolator

Standard Version70541kV isolation, standard temperature grade, standard connectors
Industrial Version7054‑X2.5kV RMS isolation, specified isolation working voltage, extended temperature grade, high retention connectors
High Voltage Version5kV RMS isolation: please refer to our new model 7055-B

The Ikona 7054 lists "Provides galvanic isolation to the USB bus" in it's feature list...but I don't see Galvanic Isolation mentioned on the Topping HS01 product page..

@JohnYang1997 if the HS01 provides galvanic isolation to the USB bus, the HS01 product page should list that specifically as a feature, as that is what many are after in a USB Isolator. What is missing in the HS01 implementation that didn't allow Galvanic Isolation to be explicitly claimed? Does the HS01 use Capacitive coupling?

The HS01 is pretty small, and gets a bit too warm in operation for my comfort level running 24/7, what kind of safety margin is there for a 1KVRMS rated device that small? I don't see 5V min/max/typical current draw specs in operation for the HS01, what are they? What were the design considerations to meet safety certifications in the US/World?

Update: I've asked Topping through Hifigo some questions via email, I'll post updates here and later in the thread too.

Update: 12/13 - From Topping through Hifigo => "We confirmed with Topping, it is not Galvanic."

Update: I considered an Ikona device before I found the updated ifi iDefender+, which I'd seen in it's earlier versions but never needed the functionality, until the D90 MQA / A90 combo. I might consider an Ikona in the future for myself, but for now I am happy with the noise free audio I already have with the ifi iDefender+ in place.

I did find these Ikona FAQ's interesting from Ikona on Sound, and Clicking the Buy on each product page gives more info on the versions I found helpful, 7054 or 7055 or

I asked the same question to Topping in August and received, "HS01 is a thorough galvanic isolator," also see here same question. They responded, "Truly galvanic isolated" (a few more answers too, fyi).

Jimster480

Major Contributor
On my Topping D90 the OLED has bright and weak segments.
Can I get it repaired, and if yes where?

OLED brightness wears out over time. The longer that it is bright the faster it will get dim. If you set the brightness to low then it does not wear out as fast. My DX7 has the same problem after 5 years of use. But I turned it off many times when I was not using it to preserve the screen

Toku

Major Contributor
I asked the same question to Topping in August and received, "HS01 is a thorough galvanic isolator," also see here same question. They responded, "Truly galvanic isolated" (a few more answers too, fyi).
Isolators are also frequently used in industrial instrumentation. Its purpose is to eliminate interference and induced noise caused by potential differences that occur when connecting different devices.
Topping's products are also made for the same purpose, which eliminates problems caused by potential differences and noise when connecting different devices. Ground loop is one of them.
A USB isolator is never a product that improves sound quality. The product is intended to restore normal operation of a device that has been damaged and must not affect the audio signal.
Many audiophiles misunderstand that USB isolators are products that improve sound quality.
There is no benefit in inserting it into a non-faulty signal path.
Although amirm has tested USB isolators and says they make no difference to the audio signal, these products should never affect the original signal. So there should be no difference in the signal at all, which is the correct behavior.

There are several isolation methods for "galvanic isolator," but the most common are optical isolation and magnetic isolation. It converts the input signal into an optical or magnetic signal, combines the primary and secondary sides, and converts it back to the original electrical signal.
With this method, a surge resistance of about 1 kV can be easily obtained.
In addition to primary and secondary isolation, isolation from the power line is also required. Isolation between the three ports IN/OUT/Power must also be ensured.

plikestechno

Are you using a powerline adapter in the room? This happened to me when I switched brands of powerline adapters. Switched back and the hiss/crackle was gone. But not before tearing apart and rebuilding my whole system lol.

Weirdest thing is that the DAC and powerline adapter didn’t even share the same outlet.

All I could think is that the outlet for the powerline was attached to the computer which was then connected by USB to the D90. But yes on RCA the powerline adapter issue sent horrible occasional noise through my whole system. But like I said, swapped the adapter out and it was fine. So maybe it’s an issue with your coax through your house or certain adapters when this happens and the D90 can’t block it when unbalanced.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Are you using a powerline adapter in the room? This happened to me when I switched brands of powerline adapters. Switched back and the hiss/crackle was gone. But not before tearing apart and rebuilding my whole system lol.

Weirdest thing is that the DAC and powerline adapter didn’t even share the same outlet.

All I could think is that the outlet for the powerline was attached to the computer which was then connected by USB to the D90. But yes on RCA the powerline adapter issue sent horrible occasional noise through my whole system. But like I said, swapped the adapter out and it was fine. So maybe it’s an issue with your coax through your house or certain adapters when this happens and the D90 can’t block it when unbalanced.
This is typical gound loop problem. Not a particular issue with any one component. It is a system issue to do with how everything is grounded and connected together. Replacing RCA interconnect with balanced should fix it. Most likely your power line device was putting noise onto the mains wiring (that is how it works after all) which then coupled into the ground loop.

I suspect something similar for @Markmosk although the source of the noise is most likely something else.

Top Bottom