• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-9 Balanced DAC Review

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am trying to convince myself on this DAC but the display being on all the time and non upgradable firmware an the generally better performing N edition available make it feel like a early production model...

Katji

Major Contributor
I am trying to convince myself on this DAC but the display being on all the time and non upgradable firmware an the generally better performing N edition available make it feel like a early production model...
That led to the SMSL M8 getting a firmware update after subsequent versions came out. Firmware provided here.

anphex

Forum Donor
That led to the SMSL M8 getting a firmware update after subsequent versions came out. Firmware provided here.

6gvi81.jpg

G-rig

Save yourself the grief, chi fi stuff is still premium prices now, it's great on paper but hard to know. Returned mine through Amazon.

Celty

I purchased the SMSL SU-9n for $340.00, I think that is a very reasonable value for such a great performing and well featured DAC.

G-rig

I purchased the SMSL SU-9n for $340.00, I think that is a very reasonable value for such a great performing and well featured DAC.
Why not, my price was more like A$700. I sounded good to be honest, and Two way Bluetooth good. Just a few Quirks and didn't play nice with the PC at all. People were going on about that 3nd harmonic be and can't upgrade the firmware by yourself so didn't like that. Good DAC thou

norcalscott

Forum Donor
I got an SU-9 about 4 months ago (Amazon US) and it had the latest firmware, so I think you would be safe there and to be honest, I wouldn’t expect them to do many, if any, firmware upgrades at this point. I’ve been very happy with the unit, no complaints at all so far.

G-rig

Yeah as long as you get the latest firmware model. Mine had the old firmware from Amazon AU, returned it. Apparently the seller (Shenzen audio) had to receive it before a refund would be issued but contacted Amazon for an escalated refund. Would take ages getting another one sent out from them directly.

ol_mcdonald

Yeah as long as you get the latest firmware model. Mine had the old firmware from Amazon AU, returned it. Apparently the seller (Shenzen audio) had to receive it before a refund would be issued but contacted Amazon for an escalated refund. Would take ages getting another one sent out from them directly.
My return to Shenzen was a real shit show. Returning a Topping DAC took forever and communication was pathetic.

G-rig

Not wrong, it's probably better getting something through a local store, even online within the same country is better, even if it's slightly more expensive. At least you'd get proper support and advice, with a host of different brands. More opportunity to swap for something different if need be.

anphex

Forum Donor
That's the small gamble we all have to take with China hifi products.
I guess since the China manufacturers know they can't get a foot into local retailers in US and EU quickly they probably rely on Amir, for publishing the measurements and some small marketing/publicity. It seems to work, as their quality and price/performance speak for itself.

Lupin

That's the small gamble we all have to take with China hifi products.
I buy from a local reseller, then it is not my problem when issues arise.

anphex

Forum Donor
Of course I meant China imported products like directly ordering from Shenzhen Audio :).

SteliosAl

I have just ordered the SMSL SA400 to pair with the SU9. It seems that to connect the 2 using the balanced connection I need female to female XLR cable? Thanks in advance for your help.

SloPoke

Forum Donor
I have just ordered the SMSL SA400 to pair with the SU9. It seems that to connect the 2 using the balanced connection I need female to female XLR cable? Thanks in advance for your help.
Back of the SU9 shows XLR output with pins (male), so a female XLR here,....but the back of the SMSL SA400 shows female XLR input. An XLR cable with female one end and male the other should connect them.

RandomEar

Back of the SU9 shows XLR output with pins (male), so a female XLR here,....but the back of the SMSL SA400 shows female XLR input. An XLR cable with female one end and male the other should connect them.
Oddly enough, there are different images of the SA400 around, showing either male or female XLR connectors o_O I tend to agree that a regular XLR cable (male to female) will probably be the right choice, but honestly: I would just wait until the SA400 has arrived to check what is installed.

G-rig

Just like any normal XLR cable connection unless they are being special.

5s Google search, looks pretty standard to me.. Male to female cable https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/products/smsl-audio-sa400-integrated-amplifier?currency=AUD&variant=39403848532102&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=surfaces&utm_content=surfaces_across_google&gclid=CjwKCAjw7cGUBhA9EiwArBAvojwILK70RZxXmu3HQbn3WRu8ZR2XmXm0o3sUwyCYzI6odiYKgd8jPxoCkM8QAvD_BwE

SteliosAl

I am confused because I have ordered the SA400 from Audiophonics FR and the images show a male XLR connector. On the SMSL website the SA400 images show female XLR inputs. What is going on here. :confused::confused: I will have to wait and see but I have already emailed Audiophonics to clarify.

SteliosAl

So I have received the SU9 and SA400, Audiophonics has contacted me and said that the picture on their website is wrong. The SA400 is female XLR and SU9 Male. So a normal Male to Female XLR indeed!

Top Bottom