• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

LP vs DAC: Wife Can't Tell the Difference

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I asked my wife:

"If you're in the other room, and can't see the stereo, can you tell the difference between me playing an LP or streaming digital music?"

Her answer:

"No no no."

I guess my vinyl set up is just that good.

Or, if I'm a digiphobe, does it mean it's that bad?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Or, that she's giving you the answer that is least likely to drive the need for you to upgrade anything...?

Actually, with your setup and a good clean record, I doubt most could immediately identify if its one or the other from another room especially.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Or, that she's giving you the answer that is least likely to drive the need for you to upgrade anything...?

Actually, with your setup and a good clean record, I doubt most could immediately identify if its one or the other from another room especially.

I think the good clean records are pretty key.

Probably 95% of my collection is near mint, has only been played a handful of times.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Does she really care? Especially when she's in the other room?

Most people aren't that picky unless there are bad clicks & pops, or unless you ask which one they prefer in an A/B test. Anybody can hear the record noise, especially between tracks, or during quiet passages or fade-ins & fade-outs, as long as there's enough gain/volume.

Usually the "give away" is noise and you are unlikely to hear record noise from another room unless you get some big-fat clicks. And a few loud clicks might not be noticed, or might not be associated with the stereo system if they are not heard directly coming out of the speakers.

P.S.
I'm not that picky about other people's sound... I grew-up in the vinyl days and the clicks & pops on MY records really annoyed me, especially since I was familiar with the record and I knew exactly when that nasty click was coming. If it was someone else's record I didn't care as much. In those days, "snap", "crackle", and "pop" didn't seem to bother most people but it always annoyed me and I was super-happy when CDs were introduced. And as a bonus, less distortion and better frequency response!

Last edited:

JWAmerica

What do you think the frequency response was like at her out of room listening position?

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I asked my wife:

"If you're in the other room, and can't see the stereo, can you tell the difference between me playing an LP or streaming digital music?"

Her answer:

"No no no."

That's a step better engagement than my wife. The only comment I ever get is "It's Too Loud!" :)

I manage to get her in the "sweet spot" to listen to a song maybe once every 10 years.

Most recently it was to hear a track on my brother's new album. It's pretty spectacular in some ways, sonically (with all sorts of orchestral instruments mixed with drums, bass, guitar etc). I only wanted her to hear it on my system so that she might appreciate not only the music but the effort he put in to the production. Took about 2 hours of corralling to finally get her to sit and listen ("wait...I spotted some crumbs in the kitchen...have to clean that first!..."), after a track she critiqued his music (hated his voice). I asked what about the production and sound quality? Her "Hm? I don't know. I didn't pay attention."

Wives know how to deflate a guy...

jsrtheta

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That's a step better engagement than my wife. The only comment I ever get is "It's Too Loud!" :)

I manage to get her in the "sweet spot" to listen to a song maybe once every 10 years.

Most recently it was to hear a track on my brother's new album. It's pretty spectacular in some ways, sonically (with all sorts of orchestral instruments mixed with drums, bass, guitar etc). I only wanted her to hear it on my system so that she might appreciate not only the music but the effort he put in to the production. Took about 2 hours of corralling to finally get her to sit and listen ("wait...I spotted some crumbs in the kitchen...have to clean that first!..."), after a track she critiqued his music (hated his voice). I asked what about the production and sound quality? Her "Hm? I don't know. I didn't pay attention."

Wives know how to deflate a guy...
Why do I suspect it's not the first time? (JK)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Wives know how to deflate a guy..

6f449f3b2971b5f2b76ad3f6f328914a.jpg

mansr

Major Contributor
I asked my wife:

Her answer:

"No no no."

It means your wife isn't resolving enough.

sodosopa

wife's bags and things put on face means nothing to me, it doesn't make her things super good.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I asked my wife:

Her answer:

"No no no."

If she puts something on at random can you tell the difference from the other room?

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The only comment I ever get is when she thinks it should have more bass, her default position on all hi-fi. She occasionally says something was amazing, it happen with Mogwai this week, I assume she is taking about the music, not the sound.

Top Bottom