• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focus - new active Dynaudio speakers

OP
L

luknap

How are these even remotely more interesting than the new kef stuff. These are basically the same speaker they've been making forever. Sealed or ported who cares.
Active floorstander speaker with DSP and Dirac

Frequency response (±3dB @ 85dB):20Hz-22kHz
Frequency response (-6dB dynamic):18Hz-36kHz

Beat that.

OWC

What I find interesting that they are all also closed box designs, which which that small woofer surface can be quite a SPL limitation in the bass, hope they will be measured by Amir or Erin.
They claim 43Hz -3dB, which I find a little hard to believe on any kind of proper SPL.

Even a MISCO BWX-6502 with a wopping 10mm xmax, does about 90-94dB maxSPL (corrected for bafflestep).
A Purifi is similar (Vd=xmax*Sd), although bit more efficient.
So I guess it's just about doable. A single 6-6,5inch for that low is always a bit meh output wise.

Looking at the screw pattern it seems they use Pascal, it ain't Hypex, that's for sure.
Probably the Pascal U-PRO2, since it has the same output power as well.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They claim 43Hz -3dB, which I find a little hard to believe on any kind of proper SPL.

Even a MISCO BWX-6502 with a wopping 10mm xmax, does about 90-94dB maxSPL (corrected for bafflestep).
A Purifi is similar (Vd=xmax*Sd), although bit more efficient.
Exactly, the Dynaudio drivers till now were not really comparable to Purifi etc in terms of displacement and distortion.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Wow
Everyone's making active speakers all of a sudden.
When Focal will make actives too it will be game over :)

groovybassist

Forum Donor
I must be one of the few members here that aren’t thrilled about active speakers. I don’t doubt some of the claimed advantages of actives, but they have two big disadvantages to me - the warranty on their electronic components is too short and if something fails, your whole system is dead until fixed. With separates, if my amp fails, I can always secure an inexpensive replacement for temporary use. Same for the other components.

sweetmusic

If they measure as well as the LYD5 they're a great entry in this market.

Dirac plus WiSa plus all the streaming options, with auto source switching and there's no need for another box... They've got the KEF and Buchardt beat in that regard. At a cost, though.

Some people don't like the extra bass on Dynaudios. But Dirac renders that objection kind of moot. If you listen at modest levels, it's basically a built in equal loudness correction.

I'd definitely still pair them with a sub.

Revel, it's your turn...

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Daaamn Dirac built in? Cards are definitely on the table now

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think this is the 3rd generation of their Focus line of active loudspeakers.

Below the previous one.

fuzzychaos

They look good, but dang, they have that Dynaudio expense. $5500 for the Focus 10 to $11,000 for the Focus 50.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
They look good, but dang, they have that Dynaudio expense. $5500 for the Focus 10 to $11,000 for the Focus 50.
really? So the focus 10 is almost the price of a genelec or the ls60?

dynaudiofocus10_black_02.png

sweetmusic

Dynaudio is pricey, yes. Not sure if they still manufacture everything in Denmark, even after being bought by a Chinese company several years back. If they do manufacture the Focus series in house, that might explain the whole price difference.

KEF is owned by a Hong Kong company, iirc, and most of their speakers are made in China. I would guess that includes the LS50/60, but maybe someone else knows for sure. And I read in a review that Buchardt manufactures its drivers in Indonesia. Globalization is real.

The Dynaudio has that retro fine furniture design. KEF is more like... designer plastic? ... but in a good way. Buchardt leans more toward the Dynaudio aesthetic. Top-end Focal and Revel are more like flashy sports cars.

The best of any of these brands already sounds so good that the appearance matters more to a lot of people than the measurements. And that's part of the cost too. Luxury appeal.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Release is for EMEA. For US it is "later in the year" so it will be a while before we get it on this side of the pond. Might be supply chain issue and parts availability.

Prices are sure up there for Focus 10.

Top Bottom