• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rythmik L12 Subwoofer Review

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why are weird comments like this popping up in the reviews. When reading reviews from every other site over the years it never seems like the reviewer is thinking out loud and then writing it down. In this case how is the speaker height a problem? Is it too tough to grab your phone and stretch your arms? Do we need to know this in first place? These are obviously rhetorical questions about the format here that I will get used to, this site being so much different from the others.
It's curious.
:rolleyes:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why are weird comments like this popping up in the reviews. When reading reviews from every other site over the years it never seems like the reviewer is thinking out loud and then writing it down. In this case how is the speaker height a problem? Is it too tough to grab your phone and stretch your arms? Do we need to know this in first place? These are obviously rhetorical questions about the format here that I will get used to, this site being so much different from the others.
It's curious.
What's weird about that comment? Amir just isn't into everything you want might be a better way to look at it. What difference does a phone photo make at all? Who needs one? If you want glossy photo shoots, there are "audiophile" publications/blogs to provide that sort of stuff....

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Review here on ASR by Amir.
I have some and they are good subs. Being sealed may lack a few db output vs ported. Whether they are better than SVS I couldn't say. I can say they are quite and will do nicely with some monitor speakers like the Adams.

This is a good resource for subs measured outdoors, but it doesn't have the L12 on the list yet.
You can click on each one and see detailed measurements of the output vs frequency and filter curves.
This was an early review of subs on this forum. Subsequent sub reviews are rare. Love to see Revel sub measurements. Is distortion under 80Hz important and discernable?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Is distortion under 80Hz important and discernable?
Yes, mainly because the harmonics fall into the frequency range where they are more readily heard. In fact, IME some subs with high distortion sound "fuller" to people because they have harmonic distortion up where it is easier to hear, and louder all too often is better.

At 80 Hz, the second harmonic distortion is at 160 Hz, and third at 240 Hz, much more likely to be heard than the 80 Hz fundamental. And so forth.

Check out equal loudness curves; they rise very steeply in the bass region. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour The implication is that, since bass signals tend to be so much larger just to be audible, their harmonics are higher relative to the midband signals of equal loudness so distortion is more easily heard.

HTH - Don

Last edited:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've always wondered how svs compares vs rhytmik and rsl speedwoofer and rel which seems to be the "best" for music
For one thing and SVS SB 2000 extends to around 150 hz while the Rhythmik peters out at 100 hz, using two and crossing over at 150 hz is not an option with the Rhythmik.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
For one thing and SVS SB 2000 extends to around 150 hz while the Rhythmik peters out at 100 hz, using two and crossing over at 150 hz is not an option with the Rhythmik.
Depends on the input selection. LFE is much higher than line input. That said, 150 Hz is pretty high to crossover to a sub.

From the Rythmik L12 specs on their website:

Frequency Response18 - 100 Hz (-3 dB @ 18Hz, -6db@12hz) LINE-IN, 18-200hz LFE IN
12 - 120 Hz (+/-3db) LINE-IN, 12-250hz LFE IN

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Generally speaking you want a crossover at 80 Hz or lower to speakers that are capable of that. Higher requires placing them with the speakers, which is limiting for sound quality. Rythmik does have small subs for that for use as mid-bass subs, but they aren't meant to replace a true sub.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Generally speaking you want a crossover at 80 Hz or lower to speakers that are capable of that. Higher requires placing them with the speakers, which is limiting for sound quality. Rythmik does have small subs for that for use as mid-bass subs, but they aren't meant to replace a true sub.
If you only have one sub maybe....

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
IME/IMO: Multiple subs with a high crossover can work if they are placed to provide a sound field that comes from "all" directions. They can be localized, but a group around the listener will provide sound from all directions. The trade is that you lose low-frequency (into the upper bass/lower midrange) stereo imaging. Again IME, the loss may not be noticeable except when compared to a conventional stereo sound (or stereo pair of subs).

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't noticed any significant difference in imaging even just comparing it to straight 2ch. My subs and speakers do surround me (and the subs don't share the same location as any particular speaker either), tho. Maybe I'll revisit that and experiment some more to see if I can pickup on what you're indicating....

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Works for me, with multiple subs I use a fairly high crossover without localization and no sound quality issues....
Did you try listening to your system with the speakers turned off? Usually a pseudo center emerges and that's how i know whether my crossover frequency / slopes are steep enough.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I haven't noticed any significant difference in imaging even just comparing it to straight 2ch. My subs and speakers do surround me (and the subs don't share the same location as any particular speaker either), tho. Maybe I'll revisit that and experiment some more to see if I can pickup on what you're indicating....
That was my experience so maybe we just hear things differently. It is also source-dependent, at least for me, since a lot of recordings take bass to mono and the frequency at which that happens may vary. I have some recordings (very old now) that panned the drums and for those too high a crossover homogenized everything (lost much of the panning effect). Vocals are usually centered so with deep voices what I recall noticing is that the the image shifted from "in front" to "all around" with a high(er) crossover.

Listening to only the subs, and mains without subs, tends to highlight the difference.

This is one of those "preference" things IMO.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That was my experience so maybe we just hear things differently. It is also source-dependent, at least for me, since a lot of recordings take bass to mono and the frequency at which that happens may vary. I have some recordings (very old now) that panned the drums and for those too high a crossover homogenized everything (lost much of the panning effect). Vocals are usually centered so with deep voices what I recall noticing is that the the image shifted from "in front" to "all around" with a high(er) crossover.

Listening to only the subs, and mains without subs, tends to highlight the difference.

This is one of those "preference" things IMO.

Male voices make it the most obvious in my experience.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
That certainly sounds a fun alternative too.
Yah, but see my comments above. It can be a nice effect, but IME tended to corrupt the image, and not always in a good way. But not always bad, "different".

Edit: Read your comments, seems like our experiences are similar.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you try listening to your system with the speakers turned off? Usually a pseudo center emerges and that's how i know whether my crossover frequency / slopes are steep enough.
Turn the speakers off and just "listen" to subs?

Top Bottom