• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rythmik L12 Subwoofer Review

Synergy4

The efficiency of the driver is also important. The F12G uses a different driver than the L12 entry level sub, but still does not put out much more SPL.

Rythmik: https://www.avsforum.com/threads/official-rythmik-audio-subwoofer-thread.1214550/post-36209914

"So the drivers are different between L12 and F12G. That saves a bit of cost. Another difference is the amplifier. The amplifier is similar to the one used in LV12R with simpified control and Hypex Ucd modules. That saves cost too. But sound quality wise, L12 is very good. It has that articulation associated with our subs."

I have bottomed out my HGS18B THX Ultra 2 subwoofer with the Pomp & Pipes (1994) Audio CD, but the subwoofer still works OK. That CD is more extreme than Billy Cobham Warning or Frank Zappa Yellow Shark.

It would be nice to have a physically smaller subwoofer, but I want to move from one Velodyne subwoofer to two Rythmik subwoofers to flatten out the room resonance modes. The ported models are physically larger than sealed cabinet subwoofers. I can only play this stuff, when my wife is not around.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The L series is Rythmik's budget line.

If you want more output and XLR inputs, you'll need to step up a bit.

I think the best compromise for you would be the E15HP2 which gives a lot of output for its size. If height is not a concern, the FV series gives more bang for the buck.

Synergy4

I have been considering the E15, because it occupies less physical space than the F15, though still much larger than the L12. Of course using two E15s needs to pass the Wife test.

Rythmik-Subwoofer-compare-image.JPG

https://forums.audioholics.com/foru...f-brent-butterworths-sub-measurements.115437/
F12-SPL-20Hz.JPG

"At 20 Hz, our subs vary in their maximum output capability. The output at 20 Hz is shown relative to F12.
  • F12: 0db (baseline)
  • F8/FM8: -1.5db
  • L12: -1db
  • F12-300: -0.5db
  • LV12F: +2.5db
  • L22: + 4db
  • LVX12: +4db
  • FVX12: +4.5db
  • E15HP: + 5db
  • F15HP: +5.5db
  • G22: 6db
  • E22: 6db
  • F18: +7.5db
  • FVX15: +8db
  • FV15HP: +11db
  • G25HP: +12db
  • FV18: +14db
  • FV25HP: +17db"

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have been considering the E15, because it occupies less physical space than the F15, though still much larger than the L12. Of course using two E15s needs to pass the Wife test.

View attachment 184041

https://forums.audioholics.com/foru...f-brent-butterworths-sub-measurements.115437/
View attachment 184044

"At 20 Hz, our subs vary in their maximum output capability. The output at 20 Hz is shown relative to F12.
  • F12: 0db (baseline)
  • F8/FM8: -1.5db
  • L12: -1db
  • F12-300: -0.5db
  • LV12F: +2.5db
  • L22: + 4db
  • LVX12: +4db
  • FVX12: +4.5db
  • E15HP: + 5db
  • F15HP: +5.5db
  • G22: 6db
  • E22: 6db
  • F18: +7.5db
  • FVX15: +8db
  • FV15HP: +11db
  • G25HP: +12db
  • FV18: +14db
  • FV25HP: +17db"

The E22 (+6dB) is also a good choice when width is a constraint but height is not.

Dimensions 14-1/2"(W) x 28" (H )x 16-1/2" (D) with grille and amplifier knobs
Shipping/gross Weight 108 lbs/95 lbs
Frequency Response 14 - 200 Hz (-2 dB @ 14 Hz) with LFE inputs in A370PEQ3/XLR2/XLR3
14 - 100 Hz (-2 dB @ 14 Hz) with LINE IN inputs in all models

E22-SE piano black sealed sub $1749
E22-BO black oak sealed sub $1549
E22-BM black matte sealed sub $1549

- Rich

Synergy4

Well, if one is considering the E22, there is also the L22;

L22 SPL + 4db over F12 No XLR inputs
Dimensions 14"(W) x 28" (H )x 16-1/2" (D)
Shipping/gross Weight 98 lbs/85 lbs
L22 black oak $1069
L22 black matte $1069

E22 SPL +6db over F12 With XLR inputs
Dimensions 14-1/2"(W) x 28" (H )x 16-1/2" (D)
Shipping/gross Weight 108 lbs/95 lbs
E22-SE piano black $1749
E22-BO black oak $1549
E22-BM black matte $1549

CumSum

The L12 subwoofer plot of distortion is not real clear on output level for measurements, although the review earlier has a CE2034 plot which indicates 100dB SPL at 30Hz. There is no similar review or plot for the F12 & F12G.

I guess, if one does not play music at too high volume levels, a pair of L12s should work fine with a pair KEF R3s. The hard part is figuring out what volume level would be considered too high, over 100dB SPL across most of the music spectrum?
I've compared both the Rythmik L12 and F12 in my bedroom desktop system. They both sounded indistinguishable from one another. Personally I wouldn't spend the extra money on the F12 if you care about value. I would stick with the L12 or get a bigger sub.

And if you are really concerned about distortion than you will go with a larger sub. A Rythmik F15 or F18 or G25 is going to have much less distortion than any of these 12's at the same output level. And you will get much more headroom. Duals subs won't get you that much more output.

The subwoofer "ideally" is going to be closer to +9dB at 20Hz compared to the speaker, so you aren't simply extending the speaker's response. Add in some bass boost from the song mix itself, you may be listening to the speakers at 85dB at 1KHz, but the subs could be pushing closer to 100dB. For movies it get's even worse. 105dB at 20Hz is reserved for 18" sealed subs (ignoring room gain). Of course you can high pass the subs but now you are losing out on some of the fun down low.

Synergy4

It looks like a pair the L22 Rythmik subwoofers are a pretty cost effective solution for music (maybe not as effective for movies and home theater) at nominal volume SPL levels. They are a little tall, but I guess one could use them for a pair speaker stands for the KEF R3s.

Scielienta

Hello everyone. I am planinng to get L12 for my bedroom studio setup to fill my low frequency gap, so do you guys think L12 is good for studio use? I will match it with my Adam monitors. I also look SVS SB1000 Pro but L12 seems better sub overall in terms of sound and build.

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hello everyone. I am planinng to get L12 for my bedroom studio setup to fill my low frequency gap, so do you guys think L12 is good for studio use? I will match it with my Adam monitors. I also look SVS SB1000 Pro but L12 seems better sub overall in terms of sound and build.
How did you determine that?

Everett T

Forum Donor
Reviews and impressions I have read. it may not be true but it gave me the impression that the L12 is a better subwoofer than the SB1000 Pro.
Haven't seen a lot of reviews for the rythmik and don't recollect any with measurements, gotta link as I'd be interested in seeing them?

Scielienta

Haven't seen a lot of reviews for the rythmik and don't recollect any with measurements, gotta link as I'd be interested in seeing them?
There is not much review, most likely impressions. I’ve read almost every impressions on Reddit, Audioholics,Avsforum…etc. and watched couple of Youtube reviews.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Review here on ASR by Amir.
I have some and they are good subs. Being sealed may lack a few db output vs ported. Whether they are better than SVS I couldn't say. I can say they are quite and will do nicely with some monitor speakers like the Adams.

This is a good resource for subs measured outdoors, but it doesn't have the L12 on the list yet.
You can click on each one and see detailed measurements of the output vs frequency and filter curves.

Everett T

Forum Donor
Review here on ASR by Amir.
I have some and they are good subs. Being sealed may lack a few db output vs ported. Whether they are better than SVS I couldn't say. I can say they are quite and will do nicely with some monitor speakers like the Adams.

This is a good resource for subs measured outdoors, but it doesn't have the L12 on the list yet.
You can click on each one and see detailed measurements of the output vs frequency and filter curves.
Guess I just missed the L12 here, thanks.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There is not much review, most likely impressions. I’ve read almost every impressions on Reddit, Audioholics,Avsforum…etc. and watched couple of Youtube reviews.
They're probably more similar than different in any case. The whole thing of the Rythmik servo tech gets a lot of wordage, but doesn't seem to really bear out as much advantage over other designs otoh. Reading subjective impressions in audio....I generally just don't find that all that definitive. My bigger question would be why go with sealed?

formula 977

The sub is still on the measurement gear stand at 5 feet and I am in no mood to take it down by myself to take a picture.
Why are weird comments like this popping up in the reviews. When reading reviews from every other site over the years it never seems like the reviewer is thinking out loud and then writing it down. In this case how is the speaker height a problem? Is it too tough to grab your phone and stretch your arms? Do we need to know this in first place? These are obviously rhetorical questions about the format here that I will get used to, this site being so much different from the others.
It's curious.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why are weird comments like this popping up in the reviews. When reading reviews from every other site over the years it never seems like the reviewer is thinking out loud and then writing it down. In this case how is the speaker height a problem? Is it too tough to grab your phone and stretch your arms? Do we need to know this in first place? These are obviously rhetorical questions about the format here that I will get used to, this site being so much different from the others.
It's curious.

You are supposed to ignore all the text and jump straight to the graphs :p

Top Bottom