• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS60 Wireless Just Announced

Vacceo

Major Contributor
There is an element that could present an interesting factor, and those are passive crossovers. They have been recently updated on the Reference and Blade series, plus KEF has been tweeking and tunning different solutions for different systems. Those elements will hopefully permeate to passive systems too, hopefully.

MCH

Major Contributor
Thanks for posting the video filmed in Barcelona. Turns out that Francisco del Pozo, a wannabe Darko was there. It´s always good to see what the enemies are doing...
Is there a spanish Darko? really? will have to check it out. I can imagine his apartment in Gracia with Primavera Sound posters in between the diffuser panels :D

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Is there a spanish Darko? really? will have to check it out. I can imagine his apartment in Gracia with Primavera Sound posters in between the diffuser panels :D
Francisco del Pozo. The usual audiofool snob. I don´t know what gets under my skin deeper, these dudes pontificating about Diana Krall or del Pozo about Harry Belafonte.

Enjoy his bullshit in wonderful Spanish about something terrible like the magnepans.

harkpabst

There is an element that could present an interesting factor, and those are passive crossovers. They have been recently updated on the Reference and Blade series, plus KEF has been tweeking and tunning different solutions for different systems. Those elements will hopefully permeate to passive systems too, hopefully.
How does that relate to LS60 Wireless? There are no passive crossovers involved. If you are speaking more generally, I am not aware of a single case where just the passive crossover has been updated with the remaining hardware unchanged. Crossovers for Blade Meta, Reference Meta and LS50 Meta simply had to be updated because of the new drivers (and in some cases a slightly revised concept regarding the crossover frequencies).

TSB

if they're sufficiently modular, it's not two different electronic designs. one is "just" the same as the other, with the added "smart" functions. and no other software stack. the "simple" version is dumb, no software there (other than the dsp)
Making the modules flexible also increases cost. The streaming module handles input & functions as the center of such a device, controlling the other chips/functions. If you want it to work without the streaming module, you'd have to add a different route for all the inputs and implement (at least) source switching and volume control. And like you mentioned, DSP, which is done either on the streaming module or by a separate DSP chip in slave mode, will need to be provided with correct inputs. It's really not as trivial as one might suspect. And you're still gonna end up with a design that includes a bunch of IC's that will be out of production at some point.

I sympathize with your wish to have a device that lasts, this is how electronics are. If it breaks after a certain time it's broken. The good news is that many 80's computers still work...

Vacceo

Major Contributor
How does that relate to LS60 Wireless? There are no passive crossovers involved. If you are speaking more generally, I am not aware of a single case where just the passive crossover has been updated with the remaining hardware unchanged. Crossovers for Blade Meta, Reference Meta and LS50 Meta simply had to be updated because of the new drivers (and in some cases a slightly revised concept regarding the crossover frequencies).
Not directly, but I´m sure KEF has experimented with passive versions, ports and other prototypes. Even if those were a failure, those tests could point at limitations and knowing the limitations is how you overcome them.

Arnas

Whilst the specs of the LS60 are appealing, if you’re not using the in-built streamer, perhaps the Buchardt A700 or one of the Dyanudio floorstanders might be a better option. Unless of course the small footprint is part of the appeal.
Both look ugly

harkpabst

Not directly, but I´m sure KEF has experimented with passive versions, ports and other prototypes. Even if those were a failure, those tests could point at limitations and knowing the limitations is how you overcome them.
In principle I agree. Whatever you try, some knowledge can be gained. I'm just still not sure what current development could be of special benefit for what other new or to be updated product. In particular LS60 Wireless has been designed from scratch to be an active closed box speaker.

Speaking of crossovers development there is probably no other company having a more glorious heritage then KEF. Their research, tools and concepts have been beyond compare from back in the late 1970s. Reference Model 104ab has been nothing but groundbreaking. By coincidence it also featured a 3/4" tweeter crossed at ~3 kHz. :) But to be fair this was before this unfortunate tendency to cross incapable tweeters way too low just because it gave nicer measuring results with the tools available at this time.

NB: This last sentence contains a high percentage of personal opinion. ;)

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like that with a DSP filter you can chose whatever functions that fits the needs with total disregard for component values and sizes , it’s only maths and cost the same . For example your preferred xover solution would give an air core inductor the size of a spare tire in a passive version :D

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Whilst the specs of the LS60 are appealing, if you’re not using the in-built streamer, perhaps the Buchardt A700 or one of the Dyanudio floorstanders might be a better option. Unless of course the small footprint is part of the appeal.
At this price point, I am no longer a big fan of paper cones, though. Especially not for the tweeters. I know they measure competently, but my personal preference is for newer (and less vulnerable) materials... (I have a cat :-D).

Last edited:

Vacceo

Major Contributor
At this price point, I am no longer a big fan of paper cones, though. Especially not for the tweeters. I know they measure competently, but my personal preference is for newer (and less vulnerable) materials... (I have a cat :-D).
Plus at high prices, aesthetics are a factor. They always are, but if you are going to pay a large amount, the object should be something you actually like as object.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I still want to experience adding a purifi monster to KEF passives... :)

Oh boy. You are old. ;)

Technical curiosity: what is considered nearfield? A meter or less?
In my mind it's anything within arm's reach. * This definition has zero technical validity.

The man I spoke with said this applies to a desktop setup. Funnily enough, within a year the Wireless II was released with HDMI arc input and USP input removed which sort of signified its movement away from being their desktop/ P.C. solution.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
(Genuinely curious) I was under the impression almost everybody goes for surround sound these days with a few exceptions. I can't see how the ls60 would fit a surround sound setup.
Stereo is still very popular. But the only barrier to using these in a surround setup is Kef supporting it, or you using the direct inputs.

They are even short enough that you could reasonably put a TV above one for center, as long as all your seats offer reclining so the head angle is comfortable.

Supposedly they can or will support WISA and if that's true they would actually be awesome for a simple surround setup. Use LS50s for heights if desired. I said this before, but Kef is a few software changes away from enabling a full wireless LS50 + LS60 immersive audio system.

Top Bottom