• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

File access time

OP
D

Digby

Major Contributor
That's because it's been a while since the program was open, so needs to re-load again.

You should be able to select VLC to open as a startup item and remain resident in memory;
Still having a few problems. I want the program at startup to be minimised in taskbar (plenty of ram available). No options in VLC, do I need to make a bat file?

I also have a couple of USB drives attached with quite aggressive energy saving/spin down, does this affect access time for files on the SSD in any way?

D

Deleted member 46664

Still having a few problems. I want the program at startup to be minimised in taskbar (plenty of ram available). No options in VLC, do I need to make a bat file?
Try making a shortcut, then edit the shortcut properties. You should be able to specify it starts minimized. Then use the shortcut for your startup link.

OP
D

Digby

Major Contributor
You should be able to edit shortcut properties to specify it starts minimized.

I tried, to no avail. This was added to properties: --qt-start-minimized

I can get it to run with these shortcut properties from desktop icon (goes to taskbar, as it should), but it only runs maximised on startup. If run as administrator (on startup), it doesn't start at all....

How tedious this is.

Last edited:
OP
D

Digby

Major Contributor
OK, I have got it starting in taskbar now and have allowed multiple instances, so it is always running in the background, even if nothing is playing. Also stopped scanning for new plugins, according to VLC forums this can slow things down. Still some occasional long loading times, cross your fingers for me.

Has anybody else encountered this with VLC? All the older 2x versions were fine.

OP
D

Digby

Major Contributor
Guys, pray for me. I've noticed all kinds of programs opening slowly intermittently and now when I check CrystalDiskInfo and WD Dashboard, it says my SSD boot drive doesn't exist!

Am I at the brink of some big drive failure, is there anything I should check before assuming the worst....Please help!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Guys, pray for me. I've noticed all kinds of programs opening slowly intermittently and now when I check CrystalDiskInfo and WD Dashboard, it says my SSD boot drive doesn't exist!

Am I at the brink of some big drive failure, is there anything I should check before assuming the worst....Please help!
Run the scan disc for errors and repair tool? :D

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning

If this is causing you sincere concern, just do a windows fresh install.

OP
D

Digby

Major Contributor
If this is causing you sincere concern, just do a windows fresh install.
It is working after a fashion, but how do I know if it is the windows install, the drive or the motherboard?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It is working after a fashion, but how do I know if it is the windows install, the drive or the motherboard?
Torture test your processor to test the processor and motherboard and be sure to monitor the temp of the processor. Run MemTest86 to check the RAM. Some new UEFI BIOS include MemTest86 as a TAB or screen.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That would have to be one seriously brain dead video player. It would literally have to pass execution control over to it's own data buffers in order for that to happen.

You absolutely do not want to hear my response to that ... especially since it's the second time you've accused me of incompetence.

So, let me just remind you that I've been doing this for about 10 years and have multiple computers in the field that run rock stable with up times in years...

When's the last time you had to clean and reinstall your system?

You have no idea how bad of an advice this is. Look up buffer overflow exploits if you want some examples of what Mans is talking about. And that’s a fairly common way of taking over a system without running an executable. Others exist that are even less obvious.

spigot

You might like Media Player Classic Home Cinema (MPC-HC). It's very snappy, lots of configuration options. I haven't used VLC since installing this many years ago. This MPC is a fork of the no longer developed original and is updated every couple of months.
https://github.com/clsid2/mpc-hc/releases
(download MPC-HC.1.9.21.2.x64.exe)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 46664

okay ... get this, install it on a thumb drive, update the database and run it on your whole system...

It's starting to look like your system is virused.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 46664

You have no idea how bad of an advice this is. Look up buffer overflow exploits

Yes I know about them ... Been a C coder for nearly 15 years, working mostly in WinAPI.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This question got nothing to do with stoopid cat-fights! Do they now?>?>?
How about looking at your graphics subsystem settings, if you are not making comparison to another GPU.
Have you tried other players? "5Kplayer" FREEware may be a good test tool.
Does the type of movie file (codec/container) make a difference in the delay?
Was there a recent update to VLC that may be causing it and would you not be better off asking same question in the VLC forums? << No disrespect to anyone here even those who wish to cat-fight....

D

Deleted member 46664

You take a systematic and diagnostic approach to solving the problem...

1) Use the Emergency Kit to ensure you are not packing a virus.
2) Get Crystal Disk Info and check your SSDs
3) Get Defraggler and optimize your SSDs
4) Start up in SAFE mode with the GUI, not commandline ... and try doing whatever misbehaves. If it's okay in safe mode it's most likely a software problem.
5) Begin shutting down all unnecessary software on thing at a time and try making it misbehave. If you get it solved, it will be the last thing you disabled.
6) Get the windows DPC Latency Checker That will tell you if it's a driver issue. IF you get large latencies, it's likely to be whatever driver you updated last.
7) Shut down your virus scanners, see if that solves it.
8) Revert your media player back one version.

and so on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@Digby have you done a full system scan with your virus scanner stuff? Any alerts show up in the alerts tab?

Top Bottom