• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL D1SE Balanced ES9038PRO

MalinYamato

Looks like a rasberry pi?yets
yes, a RPi 4 -- it runs Volumio3 and my own hacked media controller in python3. It feeds the DAC with bit perfect Tidal and Qobuz streams and accepts AirPlay clients...

MalinYamato

Don’t hesitate to give us your feelings !
My quest for a new DAC is still in progress…
sure, I will in a week when my brain and the DAC are burned in more....

MalinYamato

DAY 1 impression: D1SE outputs a lot of power to the amp and the amp is set to the lowest gain, the volume knob is 25%. Bass seems to be elevated compared to other DACs I use....
3024-3024-max (7).jpg

Last edited:

MalinYamato

I'm kinda ok with the provided spikes / feet, it's the pads that's so tiny and have to aim well when placing.. might give this a try,
tjthat
thats a good idea -- otherwise, have to work hard to aim and aim to get the spikes fall into the tiny hole of the included tiny plates.

MalinYamato

not much into buying expensive audio feet.... I am a DIY lady using what I have, rubber feet intended for chairs .....
rect76502.png

my entire stack is based on those stuff
3024-3024-max (9).jpg

Last edited:

MalinYamato

gdwallasign

Did anyone figure out the i2s issue? I have a singxer su-2 going i2s and I get the Hi-Res Audio icon on the d1se but no signal just below it. When i try (two different) Douk U2 Pros there is only no signal.

USB audio works great for the D1SE and sounds beautiful compared to the Gustard x16.

Krzysztof33

Did anyone figure out the i2s issue? I have a singxer su-2 going i2s and I get the Hi-Res Audio icon on the d1se but no signal just below it. When i try (two different) Douk U2 Pros there is only no signal.

USB audio works great for the D1SE and sounds beautiful compared to the Gustard x16.
Sorry I have no use personally for the i2s output...

Roland68

Major Contributor

Set the D1SE to i2s Mode Normal.
For SU-2 please set SW1, 2, 4, 8, 9 and 10 to off and SW3 and 7 to on. Try it without DSD first.

DTTOM37

D1SE at hifi-express
FYI, Hifi-express has switched to YANWEN LOGISTICS which is one of the worst curious services with terrible reveews all over. The store has options to select Europa but that is no longer true, as all packages are sent from China. 22 days have passed since I placed the order and it is stuck with no change in the tracking. Yes, their rationale for switching from the Amazon warehouse in Demark to this is obviously to save costs.
Quite unfortunate, I've read this info just after I ordered at Hifi-Express ...

When they indicate sending items from Europe on their website (and you might imagine you will receive it in 4-7 days max),
Hifi Express website 23062022.png
they already need a week to offer you a tracking number from a Chinese provider which finally doesn't work.
From a buyer awareness pov wrt ecologic footprint, I can't support buying items single shipped from China provenance, if they are already available in European warehouses (Article is from 2021) and I ordered from them bc it was announced to ship from EU. Communications with the seller had been pita (awarness, response, solution). It has been the worst experience with any Asian seller to date for me.
Hopefully the PayPal security will help out ...

MalinYamato

For me, D1SE is the best match to my IFI Pro iCan Signature and LCD-5...

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Quite unfortunate, I've read this info just after I ordered at Hifi-Express ...

When they indicate sending items from Europe on their website (and you might imagine you will receive it in 4-7 days max),
Hifi Express website 23062022.png
they already need a week to offer you a tracking number from a Chinese provider which finally doesn't work.
From a buyer awareness pov wrt ecologic footprint, I can't support buying items single shipped from China provenance, if they are already available in European warehouses (Article is from 2021) and I ordered from them bc it was announced to ship from EU. Communications with the seller had been pita (awarness, response, solution). It has been the worst experience with any Asian seller to date for me.
Hopefully the PayPal security will help out ...

I had a similar experience with hifigo.
Ordered something that was supposed to be in stock.. after a week of nothing happening they noticed the amp had been discontinued! And won't be available anymore.

So they refunded me my money minus 5%.

Won't ever order anything from a Asian hifi store again.

Audiophonics + local retailers for Me.

Veri

Master Contributor
I had a similar experience with hifigo.
Ordered something that was supposed to be in stock.. after a week of nothing happening they noticed the amp had been discontinued! And won't be available anymore.
So they refunded me my money minus 5%.
Erm. That is ridiculous/felonous.. :eek:

Top Bottom