• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8030C Studio Monitor Review

Lilith

It just occurred to me that because I'm crossing over at 85db for my sub, I can play louder than if you don't cross over. The amp is the limiting factor, and if it's not playing the low frequencies - which take more power, you've got more headroom. So I'm just saying, take my comment with a grain of salt.
My main concern was the 45Hz mode. I'm sure they will be loud enough for me.

I mean when choosing 8040 I might have to reduce the more bass they make. So it's likely a waste of money.

Zeeb

to integrate any subwoofer with the 8030C, one option is to switch on the 8030C's Bass Roll-Off [DIP switch], and then set the subwoofer's low-pass dial to flatten a 55Hz 12db high-pass slope
[Context is trying to integrate without an external crossover.]

A helpful poster in another thread used VituixCAD to simulate matching an 8030C with 'Bass Roll-Off' switch on, to a subwoofer with internal PEQ and slope adjustment (eg SVS SB-1000 Pro).

He found that this DIP switch is not exactly a standard high-pass filter and came up with some suggestions to try for the subwoofer in this scenario (low-pass 70Hz, 18dB/octave and some PEQ tweaks).

graph without PEQ: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...an-external-crossover-dsp.30396/#post-1077220
with PEQ: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ernal-crossover-dsp.30396/page-2#post-1077361

I also emailed SVS about using the Genelec 8030 Bass Roll-Off switch. The support person said it was a valid thing to try and suggested it's likely I would end up with a crossover point between 70 - 80Hz in this case, and to try it by ear or measure.

Last edited:

5meohd

Does anyone know if the 8030C is the same driver/crossover design as the 8030A? I would assume much was done to "upgrade", but I own the 8030A and I really have no clue.

iNetRunner

Does anyone know if the 8030C is the same driver/crossover design as the 8030A? I would assume much was done to "upgrade", but I own the 8030A and I really have no clue.
Ilkka Rissanen has said this (considering the changes between 8030C versus 8030B):
8030C model has new and improved Class D amplfiers and new crossover filter design so we can't quarantee that they would be 100% identical to the previous revisions.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Posting some feedback from my use case on the 8030c.

I got the 8030c in december and oh boy they are amazing; but the immediate feeling was: where's the bass? and the feeling of sound from small speakers. But man what clarity; feels like muddled sound just got cleared.

But muddy bass for me; i have an asymmetrical setup, with 1 speaker close to 2 walls and 1 with only the wall behind.
I was driving them using the Topping D30PRO

I sent them back and got the 8330 with the 7350 sub and switched to digital input (toslink => coax => aes input).

First reaction from only the 8330: holly crap, these have bass!
It was smth clear to me, confirmed on the calibration where it was obvious i was getting down to 40hz with only the 8330.
Don't have an explanation for this, just empirical evidence and the measurement.

Then i calibrated and that brought in clarity and clear taming of bass; from the charts it's evident that each speaker needs its own EQ.
w/o the calibration i do not think i'd enjoy the sound so much; too much boomy bass.

Then I added the sub and that completed the picture; sub is there to help; the combo is definitely controlled and can get loud w/o hurting sound quality in any way. I can play this system loud and enjoy it, smth i didn't feel with my old passive system or with the 8030c.

I don't have measurements for the 8030c, but i have for the 8330. I am thinking that the topping dac might not work well on low frequencies, or the amp in 8330 (the raw edition) is different), dunno.

I know i have to do some room work to same some standing waves/nulls; will see what I can accommodate.
Also, i got the 8330 to clip, so in a sense i think i could use the 8340 one day, but those require the 7360 sub to go along. lots of $.
Yes, the 8330 goes a bit lower in the bass . They also seems to sound a bit better and clearer than 8030c if you feed 8330 with a digital signal. I guess the price difference reflects the sound quality.

The specs from Genelec says that 8030c has -6 dB at 47 Hz , while 8330 has -6 dB at 45 Hz. This is without roomgain, and the slightly deeper bass from 8330 probably depends on clever using of the internal dsp crossover.

Most normal, passive loudspeakers of this small size roll off at 60 Hz or higher .

Last edited:

Tonygeno

Forum Donor
Yes, the 8330 goes a bit lower in the bass . They also seems to sound a bit better and clearer than 8030c if you feed 8330 with a digital signal. I guess the price difference reflects the sound quality.

The specs from Genelec says that 8030c has -6 dB at 47 Hz , while 8330 has -6 dB at 45 Hz. This is without roomgain, and the slightly deeper bass from 8330 probably depends on clever using of the internal dsp crossover.

Most normal, passive loudspeakers of this small size roll off at 60 Hz or higher .
GLM offers a host of things you can do to improve the sound. The 8030c is a different animal, as it cannot use GLM, as you know.

stemfencer

Thanks for the additional subwoofer recommendations. While I want as great of price to performance as possible, I also prioritize having a smaller sub than a larger one. I didn't want speakers on my desk that looked kind of ridiculous to non-audiophiles, and I'd also prefer to not have a sub that is approaching the size of a mini mini fridge. The sub will be underneath my 6" wide desk, or maybe right next to it, and I'd like something sleek/foot rest sized.

Here are the dimensions of some of the subs that have been mentioned so far. I rounded the dimensions to whole inches for simplicity. I also sorted the subs from smallest to largest. The dimensions should be H x W x D.

Audioengine S8 - 13 x 11 x 11. I currently own this sub. It has an 8" driver and I would assume is the least nice sub in this list.

SVS SB-1000 - 14 x 13 x 14. This is the non-PRO model. It is still available from most retailers, and can be purchased from the SVS outlet for $100 off. This sub seems to have a high pass filter but no XLR.

Yamaha HS8S- 14 x 12 x 15. This has an 8" driver, is on the smaller side, has high pass and low pass filters, and XLR inputs/outputs.

JBL LSR310S - 18 x 15 x 16. 10" driver. Bigger than the Yamaha, not sure it has a high pass filter.

Monolith 10 Inch - 19 x 15 x 20. Only one XLR in and one XLR out. Also pretty large.

HSU VTF-2 MK5 - 21 x 15 x 22. No XLR and a beast as far as my size preference is concerned.

There's also a Presonus Temblor T10, but I'm not sure how that fares in comparison to the options above.

I am indifferent to whether I have XLR or not. XLR is definitely a bonus (it would allow me to have a balanced set up if I get an XLR DAC/pre-amp), but not a requirement. Given my preference for a smaller size sub, and that I'm not going to be pushing the sub very hard, does it seem like I should be leaning toward the SVS SB-1000 or Yamaha HS8S to pair with the 8030Cs?
Just wondering what subwoofer you ended up going with (if at all)? And I appreciate I am pulling this post up from a year ago, but do you have any longer term thoughts on the 8030s can share? I am in very similar situation to you, including the NR200 computer case ;), so been following your posts with interest.

adg

Forum Donor
Just wondering what subwoofer you ended up going with (if at all)? And I appreciate I am pulling this post up from a year ago, but do you have any longer term thoughts on the 8030s can share? I am in very similar situation to you, including the NR200 computer case ;), so been following your posts with interest.
stemfencer, sorry I didn't see this until now.

I didn't end up getting a subwoofer yet because my wife and I bought and moved into a house last July, and sadly my office/mancave/guest bedroom is in between two kids rooms. I will probably still get a subwoofer, but that project has been put on the back burner.

Regarding other thoughts on the 8030s, I can share some in the next few days. I've been busy with one of my every six months totally rearranging/trying to optimize my "battlestation" projects, and I'm deep into that right now. A few months ago I bought some Gator Frameworks Clamp-On Studio Monitor Stands, with the idea of getting rid of my walnut desk shelf, but the plates the stands come with are massive (especially for the fairly petite Genelecs). I ended up ordering some very expensive (for what they are) Genelec 8030-408 stand mounting plates, then drilling holes in them in order to secure them to the Gator stands.

I also just swapped out my NR200 in favor of a small Mac Studio, and I'm excited to be working in a Mac environment again. I'll see if there is a place in the forum for posting my whole setup and thoughts on my equipment/setup.

I'll post some new pictures and thoughts on the Genelecs in a bit.

stemfencer

stemfencer, sorry I didn't see this until now.

I didn't end up getting a subwoofer yet because my wife and I bought and moved into a house last July, and sadly my office/mancave/guest bedroom is in between two kids rooms. I will probably still get a subwoofer, but that project has been put on the back burner.

Regarding other thoughts on the 8030s, I can share some in the next few days. I've been busy with one of my every six months totally rearranging/trying to optimize my "battlestation" projects, and I'm deep into that right now. A few months ago I bought some Gator Frameworks Clamp-On Studio Monitor Stands, with the idea of getting rid of my walnut desk shelf, but the plates the stands come with are massive (especially for the fairly petite Genelecs). I ended up ordering some very expensive (for what they are) Genelec 8030-408 stand mounting plates, then drilling holes in them in order to secure them to the Gator stands.

I also just swapped out my NR200 in favor of a small Mac Studio, and I'm excited to be working in a Mac environment again. I'll see if there is a place in the forum for posting my whole setup and thoughts on my equipment/setup.

I'll post some new pictures and thoughts on the Genelecs in a bit.
Sounds like a like going on! No problems, appreciate when have some time dropping thoughts on the 8030s, think I'll be pulling the trigger on them in a couple weeks at this rate

Lilith

Me too, but availability is not good at the moment

Shadrach

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I bought a pair of Genlec 8030C based on Amir's measurements and his listening impressions.
I've bought a few bits based on ASR reviews in fact.
I wrote a bit about the experience.

(I've had some account difficulties which are now sorted so the poster name is different from what you see here)

aikofan

I just set up my new 8030c pair on my desktop system, put on some Dead Can Dance, and was blown away. They sound way way better than the KEF Q150 that they’re replacing. The Q150 sounded really tubby in my small home office and the highs were harsh. The Genelecs sound so much clearer and more refined, with deeper and cleaner lows with no bloated tubbiness and sparkling highs. I was able to crank up the volume much louder than I could with the Q150, which become too harsh and piercing at high volumes.

I’m so happy with my purchase. Also, I realized that it didn’t make sense for me to have a budget system in my home office and a much more expensive main system in the living room, because I actually spend way more time listening to my budget system than I do my living room system. So now, I can spend all day listening to my wonderfully clean and accurate Gelenecs while working, and enjoy just as good sound as my Magnepan living room system.

In addition, I think the Genelecs look better in person than they do in photos. The paint job sure beats the vinyl wrap on the Q150. I just wish they sat more firmly on my IsoAcoustic stands, rather than just resting on the corners (with the rubber Genelec stands removed of course). I need to figure out a better way to couple them to the stands, which were designed for flat rather than rounded bottoms. The included rubber stands are too low, but they allow the Genelec to sit more firmly on the desk than my IsoAcoustics, which raise the tweeter height closer to ear level. Those L-shaped Genelec table stands sure look nice, but I refuse to pay $250 for a pair.

Last edited:

Fenix84

Those L-shaped Genelec table stands sure look nice, but I refuse to pay $250 for a pair.

Do it, they are awesome. Went through the same reasoning, I spend 10+ hours on my desk a day why not get something good.

Reactions: adg

aikofan

My willpower is weakening and I might have to cave in and shell out $250 for those stands. I'll be lucky to make that much selling my Q150 speakers. I wish I could buy the stands in the US for 80 €.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That site drives me nuts. They show the stands selling for 68 USD, well below MSRP, but then when you try to check out, they say they can't sell it to US customers. Why even display that price then?
I see... I've seen local US prices around 125$ and then this, so it had to be something strange... sorry

I thought it was a US based shop, but it's just displaying EU prices in $, a bit misleading.

Top Bottom