• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coffee - do you and how do you consume it?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I scored a bag of Kicking Horse coffee for $7.39 @ ~$5.00 off the regular price. Very happy about that. :D
61FOiKBcW7L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been using a tool like this:
Is that leveler adjustable in depth? I find different beans sometimes require a slight depth adjustment, for the same given dose quantity.
1652218461100.png

I finish it off using one of these wavy/ribbed tampers... supposedly gives it a 1dB more wet-able surface area:rolleyes:

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Is that leveler adjustable in depth?
It's supposed to be, but that didn't really work for me, so I use mine without the "depth stop ring".

I tap the portafilter on the counter to settle the coffee, then use the leveler, spin it around using it's own weight, then remove it and shake the portafilter to move any coffee that was around the sides. Then I use the leveler again with more pressure, then press on the leveler, as if it were a tamper, then give it a final spin - it seems to work. :)

dfuller

Major Contributor
This is probably my biggest point of dissatisfaction with my Lelit Fred (PL044) Grinder... the chute.
GRINDERS_PL044MMT_Sd_ld_794x.jpg

It grinds great, low retention... I can even work around that ridiculous fork for resting the portafilter, and I hold the button by hand rather than trying to activate it with the pf... But the chute just seems a simplistic solution on an otherwise well designed grinder.
Yeah, chute design is a real problem. Vast majority of Italian grinders have terrible chute design. Mazzer's is sometimes okay, sometimes terrible. Eureka's on the Mignon line is mediocre, okay on the Atom line. Compak? Meh. Mahlkonig (German/Austrian, same company as Ditting, both part of the Hemro Group) has better designs, and arguably better burr geometry.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sure the Lavazza Crema e Aroma bean is better than the Kicking Horse Kick Ass Dark Roast. The Lavazza tastes better with or without sugar and mixes with rye much better too.
Screenshot 2022-05-09 190105.png

lavaz.png

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Curious, do either provide roasting dates?
The Lavazza I repackaged into a sealed plastic container so I can't check the date on that. It's from Walmart and I noticed the inventory runs out often so they must be moving stock fairly fast. The Kicking Horse has a "Enjoy Before" date of July 14, 2022. The Kicking Horse must be old. I should have checked but I figured sale price, sealed packaging and Kicking Horse quality so it must be a good deal. I'll be more attentive to dates on the next purchase. That's why it was on sale... sigh* :facepalm:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Curious, do either provide roasting dates?
Ironically enough, there was a bit (somewhere) about "Roast" and "Use By" dates.
Even from those beans provided to supermarkets and the same brand (nameless) selling it in there own stores...
I have seen some brands "Use By" date-stamped for about 11 months into the future...
I think the 'audiophiles' of coffee world recommend a time period of under six weeks upon roasting...
--------------------------------------------------
Anyways: Buzzword time:
"What is Cascara"?
Don't bother asking dumbo Siri... she even had a moment of lapse when asked what 'tisane' was.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I think the 'audiophiles' of coffee world recommend a time period of under six weeks upon roasting...
With 10 days after roast often called the sweet spot, I would suggest you want beans to be between 5 days old (at the absolute youngest) and not more than 3-4 weeks at the oldest. Proper packaging and storage is key in this, too.
The shop I worked for would pull retail beans at 4-weeks old from roast (using them for cold brew extraction after that).
Super fresh beans are no fun to work with either. I found best stability after 5 days while others say 3 days. Other Baristas act as if the world is ending if the beans aren’t at least 7 days old. *shrugs

dfuller

Major Contributor
With regard to post-roast resting times and how long coffee is good, that ultimately depends on roast. The darker the roast, the quicker it's ready for use - and the less time it lasts after.

Ultra-light roasts that juuuuust barely get to first crack before being dropped (think Sey, Passenger, Tim Wendelboe)? Best wait at least a week, ideally 10-14 days. They'll stay good for about 6 weeks after opening but may continue improving til about the 4th week. These coffees off-gas the CO2 generated in roasting slowly because the structure of the bean is largely intact.
Average light roasts (think your average specialty roaster - George Howell, Square Mile, etc) - again, wait a week, probably good for 6, but less crucial about that rest period.
Medium roasts (darker specialty stuff e.g. Partners, but also stuff like the lighter roast Peet's stuff) probably need 5 days post-roast, and are good for 3-4 weeks after opening.
Darker roasts where you start to see oil (northern Italian coffee like Lavazza or Hausbrandt, Starbucks Blonde, the very darkest specialty stuff)? 3-4 days, at their best for about 2 weeks after opening.
Dark roasts with lots of oils (French roasts, "Italian" roasts, southern Italian brands like Saka) are ready after a couple days, and should be consumed within a week to 10 days post opening.
Anyways: Buzzword time:
"What is Cascara"?
Don't bother asking dumbo Siri... she even had a moment of lapse when asked what 'tisane' was.
I've actually had Cascara before. Rather nice if I'm honest...

Speaking of coffee, my latest order showed up. The Bukeye is very tasty, lots of berry notes and quite sweet in an almost turbinado sugar kind of way. Alchemy I know, it's all chocolate and nougat. Mamuto AB I've not had, only the AA - but they're the same SL28 varietal so should taste pretty much the same. In other words, big whack of blackberry.
PXL_20220511_162848986.jpg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
With 10 days after roast often called the sweet spot, I would suggest you want beans to be between 5 days old (at the absolute youngest) and not more than 3-4 weeks at the oldest. Proper packaging and storage is key in this, too.
The shop I worked for would pull retail beans at 4-weeks old from roast (using them for cold brew extraction after that).
Super fresh beans are no fun to work with either. I found best stability after 5 days while others say 3 days. Other Baristas act as if the world is ending if the beans aren’t at least 7 days old. *shrugs
I frequented a coffee shop/bakery combo shop that had a very large roaster in the middle of the shop floor. I could go for coffee and bask in the warmth of the roaster knowing the bean was fresh and delicious. Was a major money maker from what I saw. :D

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I frequented a coffee shop/bakery combo shop that had a very large roaster in the middle of the shop floor. I could go for coffee and bask in the warmth of the roaster knowing the bean was fresh and delicious. Was a major money maker from what I saw. :D
When I tried roasting at home the smells were the worst part, preferred to do it outside. I'd assume they had some good venting to do it in the middle of the sales floor....

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
When I tried roasting at home the smells were the worst part, preferred to do it outside. I'd assume they had some good venting to do it in the middle of the sales floor....
Yeah they had a flue through the ceiling. :D

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
No different than restaurants in some ways. Serious air extraction is necessary, along with scrubbers and a filter to collect solids.

In terms of the smell of roasting coffee... I would agree. It is not the pleasant smell you would expect of coffee as we more commonly associate. ;)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No different than restaurants in some ways. Serious air extraction is necessary, along with scrubbers and a filter to collect solids.

In terms of the smell of roasting coffee... I would agree. It is not the pleasant smell you would expect of coffee as we more commonly associate. ;)
Fortunately I'd read about it first, so was warned, but yeah my first thought would be I'd love the aroma of roasting coffee....but I first did it in winter so did it inside....then moved it to the garage / outside after that :)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Gratz! I've heard a lot about it from the good side. We're living in terrible times. The cheaper coffee than worse the taste with some exceptions only. Now I'm trying Kona coffee(this), hits the pocket, but the flavor combination is awesome!
Cheers
Wowowow. It must be very good coffee. :D I have heard good things about Kona.
81uoIDGhpZL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We are blessed that neither of us have that snobby, snooty and discerning type of tongues:
We have been trying most all brands discussed in this thread and even have spent near $50/lb exotic beans.
Heck, we even got spendy for Ethiopian beans that many here recommend.
[Yeah, those peeps include professional coffee purveyors that are members << even @SIV, ;)]
We have come to realize that we are totally okay with beans from Colombia. As long as the beans are medium roast and are not described w/fancy words meaning "BITTER".

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
To be drinkable Coffee has to be diluted with Whisky and cream added….
I add rye to mine all the time with very strong coffee and a heaping spoonful of sugar. When I was a bartender at a young age I used to drink Grand Marnier with whisky for a good stiff hot beverage. :D

Top Bottom