• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do we need a DDC.....? Or is it BS....

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
That looks exactly like a synchronous interface.
I thought as much but not quiet quite confident enough to call it out. For most users re-clocking an asynchronous DAC is pointless. It may be justifiable in some studio environments.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 46664

I really like some of Terrance's (A British Audiophile) reviews. But I have also seen some analysis of "re-clockers" and "digital cleaners". Most were questionable.
Love to get your feedback.
OJ

Short answer ... No.

I guess it all depends how much audio delay you can tolerate. Extra processing takes extra time....

DSJR

Major Contributor
I was introduced to a little box around 5/8" square by 2 or 3 inches long, USB B socket at one end and an RCA SPDIF socket at he other. No idea on its performance, but I've used one of these for years from PC to dac (the dac I was using is ancient and way before the advent of USB). All I really need in that second system is a Topping D10s or similar and just take the analogue outs from the CD player to the preamp currently in use. The Topping can go into a tape playback input or similar to make it easier for others to use.

P.S. Effin' 'ell - just seen the current prices of a bog standard D10s these days - I'm sure it's gone up around 40% or so since last year or so :(

Barry_G

I have discovered a noticeable difference in sound quality when my JDS EL II stack/Edition XS phones are connected to my Galaxy S8 phone (running USB Audio Player Pro in bit perfect mode) and to my laptop running Foobar2000 with ASIO USB driver. The phone connection sounds better in every way, like an obscuring layer has been removed. It's not subtle. No EQ is being used. The laptop sounds good, but the phone sounds incredible.

Is it worth trying an inexpensive DDC (Douk U2 Pro) between laptop and DAC?

Tangband

Major Contributor
I have discovered a noticeable difference in sound quality when my JDS EL II stack/Edition XS phones are connected to my Galaxy S8 phone (running USB Audio Player Pro in bit perfect mode) and to my laptop running Foobar2000 with ASIO USB driver. The phone connection sounds better in every way, like an obscuring layer has been removed. It's not subtle. No EQ is being used. The laptop sounds good, but the phone sounds incredible.

Yes it might be worth it.

Last edited:

mansr

Major Contributor

Does it make any difference whether the laptop is running off battery or plugged into the charger?

Tangband

Major Contributor
Does it make any difference whether the laptop is running off battery or plugged into the charger?
Biggest problem is usually the windows mixer . And yes, my Mac sound slightly better running only on battery if connected to a dac .

Read more here :

Barry_G

Biggest problem is usually the windows mixer . And yes, my Mac sound slightly better running only on battery if connected to a dac .

I believe Foobar2000-ASIO bypasses the Windows mixer. I always have the Windows mixer connected to a different device as default sound output.

Tangband

Major Contributor
I believe Foobar2000-ASIO bypasses the Windows mixer. I always have the Windows mixer connected to a different device as default sound output.
Yes , foobar2000 ASIO seems good .

mete

I have a similar question, for a more particular case. I was in impression (with SMSL M400 which I was using with Gustard U18 I2S output) that if I2S input is used, DAC uses the clock in I2S signal directly (ie no other oscillator in the DAC is used for audio decoding), so the clock quality in I2S might have an impact on the SQ quality (ie the internal clock in U18 is better than M400). It seems at least in Denafrips (Venus 2) even I2S input is reclocked/rebuffered and the data is re-read and decoded with the internal oscillators. So in this case, I find it hard to think why a reclocker would change anything at all (since it will be reclocked anyway), and I think actually in this case USB is the best input, since USB has no relation directly with audio (clock) as it is just for transferring the audio data (which is then reclocked in DAC anyway). If it is the case, why there are many reviews saying something changes with the addition of a reclocker/DDC to a denafrips DAC (which implies almost always using the I2S input). Would using USB cause more external/internal noise for example ? What do you think ?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Read more here :
Any measurements that would prove that?
Or think that...?

Peace.

Tangband

Major Contributor
I have a similar question, for a more particular case. I was in impression (with SMSL M400 which I was using with Gustard U18 I2S output) that if I2S input is used, DAC uses the clock in I2S signal directly (ie no other oscillator in the DAC is used for audio decoding), so the clock quality in I2S might have an impact on the SQ quality (ie the internal clock in U18 is better than M400). It seems at least in Denafrips (Venus 2) even I2S input is reclocked/rebuffered and the data is re-read and decoded with the internal oscillators. So in this case, I find it hard to think why a reclocker would change anything at all (since it will be reclocked anyway), and I think actually in this case USB is the best input, since USB has no relation directly with audio (clock) as it is just for transferring the audio data (which is then reclocked in DAC anyway). If it is the case, why there are many reviews saying something changes with the addition of a reclocker/DDC to a denafrips DAC (which implies almost always using the I2S input). Would using USB cause more external/internal noise for example ? What do you think ?
You have to listen in each case - different computers have different amount of noise from the USB output, and different dacs are more or less sensitive to noise.
Dont throw away your money If you cant hear a difference, and the opposite is also true - If the sound is bad but measurements are good then I would trust my ears.

Do I need one ? YES !!!

Mac -> USB -> ( DDC converts to AES ) -> Dynaudio Core L -> Dynaudio Core R -> Dynaudio Sub

£50 second hand.

Jerr2501

Wondering how many posters claiming “they’re pointless, you don’t need one” have actually tried a ddc in their systems. I’ve owned the Audiophileo, Wyred, Resonessence and now an expensive Berkeley DDC. With each I did extensive A/B testing on multiple systems with different dacs. I would love not to have one (who needs the extra cost, complexity, cables etc.?). For me however, they simply give better sound. Every time.

(To be clear, I’m specifically talking about converting USB outputs to different formats …and before you say “well he must have a player with ‘dirty’ usb output”, I’ll tell you that I’m using a JCat Femto usb card powered independently by a battery supply)

YMMV

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wondering how many posters claiming “they’re pointless, you don’t need one” have actually tried a ddc in their systems. I’ve owned the Audiophileo, Wyred, Resonessence and now an expensive Berkeley DDC. With each I did extensive A/B testing on multiple systems with different dacs. I would love not to have one (who needs the extra cost, complexity, cables etc.?). For me however, they simply give better sound. Every time.

(To be clear, I’m specifically talking about converting USB outputs to different formats …and before you say “well he must have a player with ‘dirty’ usb output”, I’ll tell you that I’m using a JCat Femto usb card powered independently by a battery supply)

YMMV

I've had multiple DDCs in my system (four or five of them, Mutec, Gustard, LKS, even Behringer, and some older units from 1990's). Gustard I also modified by upgrading power supply, adding better voltage regulators, and by adding a (measured) lower-phase noise clock oscillator. I even tried powering these from a battery, just to make sure power supply wasn't causing issues. I've done extensive A/B testing and measurements with these. If properly blind tested, these didn't make any difference with any of the DACs I tried, including some expensive "audiophile-recommended" ones. Objectively, some caused more noise and some more jitter. The only time a DDC makes sense to me is if you need to convert from one digital format to another, or to a sample rate that isn't otherwise supported. YMMV :)

Top Bottom