• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sony announces new Walkman... $4200

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
$_57.JPG

I have this one, still works and plays my old tapes when i sit in the bath tub.

OP
D

DonR

Major Contributor
OP
D

DonR

Major Contributor
Do I miss something, but I don't see any measurements there showing an impact in good or bad on lossless 24/96 files of the DSEE HX.
Impact on lossless is nonexistent. It has no effect.

newworld666

Impact on lossless is nonexistent. It has no effect.
So I would conclude .. that DSEE HX is a pure benefit for any walkman user, with no negative point for hires & dsd files.

DSEE HX can just make more valuable "old" stuff to listen. Or just deactivate this function and leave as it is like for 100% of other DAPs on the market....

As the old WM1A (with MrWalkman One Firmware) is already an impressive DAP compared to my FIIO M17/M11, A&K Kann Alpha, Hiby R6Pro, with a load of new powerful capacitors, with sensitive IEM/Headphones, it should be even more impressive....

OP
D

DonR

Major Contributor
So I would conclude .. that DSEE HX is a pure benefit for any walkman user, with no negative point for hires & dsd files.

DSEE HX can just make more valuable "old" stuff to listen. Or just deactivate this function and leave as it is like for 100% of other DAPs on the market....

As the old WM1A (with MrWalkman One Firmware) is already an impressive DAP compared to my FIIO M17/M11, A&K Kann Alpha, Hiby R6Pro, with a load of new powerful capacitors, with sensitive IEM/Headphones, it should be even more impressive....
I guess you could or for $4200 you could do what just about everyone else does and buy or stream lossless. Up to you.

Saidera

At some point we just have to plug the same earphones or headphones into an apple dongle connected to a laptop, then a $4200 DAP, then the apple dongle, volume match it roughly, playing the same source material and without any extra DSP on the sound. Sound different?

I have never done this comparison, because the whole point with the walkman was its DSP.

Saidera

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Funny to be told this, when I am 'the reason' why DSEE HX is free in the first place.

It's not the 'AI' version in Walkmans though, nor is it the 'Extreme' CPU intensive version!

Oh, I wasn't replying to you directly. Just to the thread in general. You have done a lot of work to characterize DSEE HX with measurements and I think it has audible differences, not necessarily consistently better but certainly audible and most of the time better. I am really happy you introduced DSEE HX to me and in the other thread, I've made the comment that
a) the software is free
b) you can try it with our own music/test patterns.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
$_57.JPG

I have this one, still works and plays my old tapes when i sit in the bath tub.

Very cool. Styled after the WM-2 which was just a lovely walkman.

I have a very rare National (Panasonic) Way, which beat the Sony at their own miniaturization game and earned the title of the world's smallest in 1981/2. Runs on 2xAA and is barely bigger than the cassette case. It has a belt attachement that is so 80s- could stand a nuclear blast and also has a 'aux' battery box that can take 2xD cells for those really long walks...

All metal mechanism, very high quality head etc. Here's mine alongside a few commercial tapes- not that I ever played store bought pre-recorded tapes as they sounded so bad. Funny I pick them up now and then as curios.

DSC_2011 (Medium).jpeg

DSC_2010 (Medium).jpeg

DSC_2009 (Medium).jpeg

DSC_2012 (Medium).jpeg

Saidera

I have a very rare National (Panasonic) Way
I love those old tape players whether National or Sony. And I guess this feeling is shared widely, otherwise there wouldn't be the tape emulation in walkmans today or tape spinning emulation apps for android.

Top Bottom