• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

March Audio P502 stopped turning on

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi, I bought a March Audio P502 in Oct 2020. It was working fine till now, but today it is refusing to start up. I have tried turning it on using its front touch sensitive button as well as a trigger. Checked the trigger and cable voltage using multimeter and they are working fine.

Has anyone else had issues with Hypex Ncore NC502 based amplifiers going bad like this and found out what the issue is ? I have emailed Alan for his view, but though I'd ask here as well. I can't even get the fuse compartment open to check the fuse.

Last edited:

pma

Major Contributor
I can't even get the fuse compartment open to check the fuse.
It might not be easy, the fuse is soldered on the PCB.

1651821400398.png

OP
Kachda

Kachda

Forum Donor
Thanks. Guess will have to follow up with Alan.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Hi, I bought a March Audio P502 in Oct 2020. It was working fine till now, but today it is refusing to start up. I have tried turning it on using its front touch sensitive button as well as a trigger. Checked the trigger and cable voltage using multimeter and they are working fine.

Has anyone else had issues with Hypex Ncore NC502 based amplifiers going bad like this and found out what the issue is ? I have emailed Alan for his view, but though I'd ask here as well. I can't even get the fuse compartment open to check the fuse.

He likely has a mains fuse in the IEC connector. They are easy to remove: just put a small flat screwdriver into the slot in the connector well and slide out. It will be grabbing the fuse clip, so a bit of force is needed. Hopefully March did the right thing a placed a spare fuse in the holder for you.

Here is a typical IEC socket:
typical iec socket.jpeg

Fuse holder and spare fuse:
iec socket fuse.jpeg

There is a soldered fuse on the main board here:

1651900717757.png

However, the fuse on the main board is considered "not replaceable" by Hypex as they consider if the fuse has blown, the whole amp is likely toast.

Your first point of contact should be March Audio as the unit may or may not be under warranty. edit: website states 5 year warranty, so you'll be sweet.
1651901824397.png

Update this thread with the outcome. :)

Last edited:
OP
Kachda

Kachda

Forum Donor
Thank you @restorer-john . I had already reached out to Alan and he asked me to check the fuse in the IEC socket. The fuse is intact.

Strangely enough, after I inserted the fuse back in, the amp is turning on again via it's front switch. But the trigger mechanism (which I used to turn it on/off) has failed and no longer works. I have asked Alan how to get the trigger mechanism fixed.

IMG_2639.jpg

ethanhallbeyer

Thank you @restorer-john . I had already reached out to Alan and he asked me to check the fuse in the IEC socket. The fuse is intact.

Strangely enough, after I inserted the fuse back in, the amp is turning on again via it's front switch. But the trigger mechanism (which I used to turn it on/off) has failed and no longer works. I have asked Alan how to get the trigger mechanism fixed.

View attachment 205509
did you ever hear back regarding how to fix the trigger?

JSmith

Master Contributor
It may be worth mentioning in general that March Audio doesn't sell the NCore based amps any longer, only Purifi now.

JSmith

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
March audio is asking me to send it to him for a look.

It's under warranty (5 years), so whatever is costs to send it back and have it returned to you are not your responsibility. Any costs you incur should be reimbursed by March Audio.

I'm sure he will do the noble thing, and make it right for you. He's a good operator.

OP
Kachda

Kachda

Forum Donor
Yeah, Alan is sending me shipping labels. Hopefully I can get it back soon, in the meantime I may need to get a pa5 to tide me over

OP
Kachda

Kachda

Forum Donor
I need support on a recently purchased P262 and March Audio (Alan at March Audio) is not responding to my requests for support. Does anybody know of a way of contacting him? Prior to the sale, Alan would respond right away, now its nothing.
Make sure you are contacting him at his new email address. [email protected] (though confusingly I still get replies from [email protected]). He didn't respond to my initial couple of emails till I mailed him using his .com address rather than his .net.au address.

rodrigaj

Make sure you are contacting him at his new email address. [email protected] (though confusingly I still get replies from [email protected]). He didn't respond to my initial couple of emails till I mailed him using his .com address rather than his .net.au address.
I've been using the .com address. Since 5/14, 3 email request for support have gone unanswered.

The first issue is trivial, I received the 2GB flash drive with a P452 file. I requested a file attachment with the P262 file.
The 2nd issue was when the unit would not go into the standby mode, regardless of my triggering the switch or the front panel piezo switch. I had to physically disconnect the power cord to get the standby/active mode back. This behavior has not reoccured, but still...

Last edited:

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
I've been using the .com address. Since 5/14, 3 email request for support have gone unanswered.

The first issue is trivial, I received the 2GB flash drive with a P452 file. I requested a file attachment with the P262 file.
The 2nd issue was when the unit would not go into the standby mode, regardless of my triggering the switch or the front panel piezo switch. I had to physically disconnect the power cord to get the standby/active mode back. This behavior has not reoccured, but still...
I know he's been gone to the Munich show and has had a 15% off sale that ended recently. He's likely back home now facing a slew of orders and very busy. Nonetheless I'm with you, he should respond promptly to customers with equipment problems.

AudioJester

Forum Donor
This kind of support just doesn't make sense to me. If you are that busy, you let your email software send out auto responses saying you received the email, will get back to you after..., etc. You don't just let folks hanging. Especially, when (as was my case) the problem with the standby/active mode surfaced during the 14 day trial period. I just don't get it. I was expecting so much more from a relatively new company.

When he first started I had good response to any enquiries about my purchase.
What you are experiencing is the limitations of a one man show getting bigger..

OP
Kachda

Kachda

Forum Donor

That is disappointing indeed. Also, I hate that piezo switch with a passion. I've asked Alan if it can be changed to a ordinary switch while I am sending it in for servicing the trigger anyway.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's under warranty (5 years), so whatever is costs to send it back and have it returned to you are not your responsibility. Any costs you incur should be reimbursed by March Audio.

I'm sure he will do the noble thing, and make it right for you. He's a good operator.
Curious, is the both ways shipping an Australian warranty requirement?

Holmz

Major Contributor
I know he's been gone to the Munich show and has had a 15% off sale that ended recently. He's likely back home now facing a slew of orders and very busy. Nonetheless I'm with you, he should respond promptly to customers with equipment problems.

I does take a while to fly from Germany to Australia, and the show ended Sunday… which is Monday Au time… which was yesterday in Australia.
And it is a 5 hour drive from Perth down south.
So there is almost no way he would have be able to get home by now.

I would expect it might be closer to the end of the week before the jet lag wears off.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Curious, is the both ways shipping an Australian warranty requirement?

Australian Consumer Law (ACL) is pretty powerful and serious stuff. I had to know the previous Trade Practices Act (1974) and the Sale of Goods Act pretty much inside out, as we had a number of retail/wholesale establishments over the decades...

ACL is essentially a rolled-up, modernised and way fairer (to the consumer) way of laying out and providing clear responsibilities, remedies and requirements when it comes to the provision of goods and services in this country. Cross border (state) regulations where various state jurisdictions were making it difficult for agrieved consumers to get fair and reasonable service or even pursue remedies went out the window. Fairness now prevails.

Basically, the contract for purchase/sale is between the buyer (the person or entity who hands over or authorises the money transfer) and the seller (the person or entity that accepts/receipts the money). Warranties/remedies exist regardless of what a retailer/supplier/manufacturer states and no manufacturer conditions can extinguish certain warranties, requirements or implied warranties under ACL. For example: Removing a seal sticker or cover from a product, cannot extinguish a warranty.

One of them is costs for return. The retailer or supplier is responsible for any and all costs in relation to goods which fail the basic tenet of being not fit for purpose, not the same as the sample shown, have what is deemed a major failure, or a failure the buyer would not have purchased the product knowing the issue was likely in the first place.

I can for example return a Belkin router to a retailer where I bought it, and it is their problem to rectify. They cannot attempt to pass the buck, or palm me off to the 'manufacturer' or 'service agents'. My contract was with the retailer. Their contract was with the supplier. The supplier's contract was with the importer/wholesaler/manufactuer. None of that is my problem. Anytime within the statutory, or otherwise implied warranty (open to interpretation) we can simply march into the retailer and they have to solve/sort out/organize repair or refund/replace the product. Retailers will always try to pass the buck, but savvy consumers know their rights.

Return freight is part of that. A consumer cannot be held resposible for return costs on a product that was faulty or failed within a reasonable period or failed any of the basic fit for purpose requirements in the first place.

I know, a long post, but I'm trying to lay out an answer to your question as best as I can, without straying into the area of legal advice, which this is clearly not. This is just my experience, over many decades in this area and take it for what it is.

Where sales are made internationally, into other markets and freight costs are borne by buyers, the entire landscape would change and I don't know where one set of rights start and another stops. I would say March Audio would most likely bear all the costs where a product has failed through no fault of the consumer and is within the normal warranty period. Anything else would be unreasonable IMO.

Last edited:

rodrigaj

That is disappointing indeed. Also, I hate that piezo switch with a passion. I've asked Alan if it can be changed to a ordinary switch while I am sending it in for servicing the trigger anyway.
I agree, the piezo switch is a pain. I put in a trigger switch from Emotiva with a rocker switch hard wired to its power input. I had it laying around from an old system so it didn't cost me anything. Much better...

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I agree, the piezo switch is a pain. I put in a trigger switch from Emotiva with a rocker switch hard wired to its power input. I had it laying around from an old system so it didn't cost me anything. Much better...

When it comes to power amplifier switching, nothing beats a real switch. Everything else (regardless of what people will tell you) is as not remotely as reliable.

Soft switching is just that.

Top Bottom