• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping LA90 Review (Integrated Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 50 6.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 193 24.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 524 65.3%

• Total voters

solderdude

Grand Contributor
18V into 64 ohm = 5W.
Only 0.32A is required.

To reach those levels with the SP400 and A90 you would need to drive the Susvara balanced though, the LA90 can do this using the TRS jack.
Both the Topping and SP400 offer more versatility and do not require a speaker to headphone connector and are cheaper.

Selkirks

In a matter of days the LA90 has taken a dump. The amp is in protection mode (IN1 LED flashing twice). I followed all troubleshooting steps in the manual plus swapped speakers and source with no resolve. This happened when the amp was not being used. I noticed the LED went from solid to blinking from across the room. Im glad to have a spare amp as the LA90 is going back. What a shame.

Last edited:

Vini darko

Major Contributor
In a matter of days the LA90 has taken a dump. The amp is in protection mode (IN1 LED flashing twice). I followed all troubleshooting steps in the manual plus swapped speakers and source with no resolve. This happened when the amp was not being used. I noticed the LED went from solid to blinking from across the room. Im glad to have a spare amp as the LA90 is going back. What a shame.
Nightmare. Are the speakers ok?
That's two out of three samples now with faults.

jjmanda

Topping service had contacted me via email just this morning. So at their asking, I provided them videos of my situation. We'll see what they can find.

Apos has provided me an RMA, but I would like to see what Topping responds with before I actually send it back to Apos.

So at the least, both Apos and Topping are responding.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
While quite solid, you can pick it up with one hand. The small size is aided by a massive external switching power supply:
View attachment 202307

Here are its ratings:
View attachment 202309

The amplifier is not for everyone though. Power level is modest as compared to competitors. And you have that large external power supply.

I dare say, don't audiophiles pay EXTRA for an external/separated power supply??

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From complaints related to reliability, it appears that although Topping has figured out the science behind amplifier audio performance, it's time to put back those corners that were cut in order to hit the $800 price point - maybe at $999, the failed parts can be subsituted with better ones? Or is this a design failure that led to these QC issues that requires a "back to the drawing board" approach?

Bleib

Major Contributor
From complaints related to reliability, it appears that although Topping has figured out the science behind amplifier audio performance, it's time to put back those corners that were cut in order to hit the $800 price point - maybe at $999, the failed parts can be subsituted with better ones? Or is this a design failure that led to these QC issues that requires a "back to the drawing board" approach?
We don't know yet if L90 has problems. We don't even know the rate of faults with Pa5 (mine is OK for two weeks at least).

Bleib

Major Contributor

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

staticV3

Master Contributor
? I never said that the info is definitive or reliable.
Not even Topping know the actual failure rate, since there could be any number of defective PA5 units laying around with owners that can't be bothered to RMA.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
First Impressions of LA90
Thank you for your positive write-up that I had initially missed.;)
Topping service had contacted me via email just this morning. So at their asking, I provided them videos of my situation. We'll see what they can find.
Apos has provided me an RMA, but I would like to see what Topping responds with before I actually send it back to Apos.
So at the least, both Apos and Topping are responding.
I don't know who "Apos" is but your mention (and the existence) of a CustomerSupport function has legitimized Topping in my 'pecking order'.

jjmanda

I don't know who "Apos" is but your mention (and the existence) of a CustomerSupport function has legitimized Topping in my 'pecking order'.
Apos Audio. The retailer I purchased the LA90 from.

Last edited:

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
? I never said that the info is definitive or reliable.
Not even Topping know the actual failure rate, since there could be any number of defective PA5 units laying around with owners that can't be bothered to RMA
You said rough idea. We don’t even have that. I’m picking on this since there are two members here who are parroting it as truth and a major catastrophe. These same members have been leveling unsubstantiated claims against Topping products as well.

I am concerned by the reports of failures and the power switch issue presented here, but I want to be careful about creating hysteria and “truths” like happened with the Pinto and other vehicles that later research showed actually had no issues (or statically insignificant)

eboleyn

Forum Donor
Does anyone have a measurement of the idle power of one of the LA90 units yet? I did a search and couldn't seem to find any comments on the thread about it.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Does anyone have a measurement of the idle power of one of the LA90 units yet? I did a search and couldn't seem to find any comments on the thread about it.

Ask @amirm nicely to plug his sample amplifier in, and measure the consumption after 15 mins of idling. Easy.

pma

Major Contributor
Nightmare. Are the speakers ok?
That's two out of three samples now with faults.

But imagine that SINAD happiness, though often not lasting too long with PA5 and possibly LA90.
Power amplifiers are not preamps, concerning the design rules.

I can accept some issues with these toy amplifiers that cost about $50 - $100. But these Topping toy amplifiers are overpriced ($400 - $900) and as we can see from user feedback they are unreliable. Who would care about SINAD then??

Last edited:

Tusoli5

Damn, there really is a gap between their engeneering and their build consistency we can see it through a wide range of their products on the whole forum as users give their feedbacks.
An audiophile component should be able to work several days/weeks /years under different loads without starting to show any problems. It should take years until its power buttons/ leds/ screens /power show any faulty situation.

Going for 800 to 1000$ price range when they were around 350$ (maximum on their whole products a few years ago) really starts to scream this kind of attention to their build quality.
This is also needed by their high level of engeneering and for the clients market they are aiming. They have to match their achievements through their build quality.
A strong reliability of the product is highly important just after its achievement to be able to enjoy its use for me to be able to buy it.
Otherwise it is pointless and trust in their company/products crumbles down no matter what their measurements quality can be.

How do you consider this side of their whole products? Are you ok with it anyway? How could topping show us that they can give a bettter reliability in their next products that will ensure us to enjoy their achievements?

Last edited:
Top Bottom