• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

IK Multimedia iLoud MTM Review (active monitor)

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought these, seem to do the job ok for the first few days:

The only issue is that they take space on the desk, and are not extra stable. But on the other hand, they are quite affordable.

I cut the 3 rubber pads on the bottom of each stand in half, and distributed the 6 smaller pads equally around the base. This seemed to make the stands more stable on my desktop.

jhenderson0107

I CNC'd and painted some shelves for my MTMs, attached to my gaming rig via underside hex bolts:

1650472960796.png

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I bought these, seem to do the job ok for the first few days:

The only issue is that they take space on the desk, and are not extra stable. But on the other hand, they are quite affordable.

I need something that won't topple over. I have a synth on my desk and I'm afraid that when I play it like an insane person, the shock will make 'em tumble off the desk.

I CNC'd and painted some shelves for my MTMs, attached to my gaming rig via underside hex bolts:

View attachment 201206

Shut up that is the most amazing thing I have ever seen in my life, where do you live, can we be friends, I wanna playyyyy, omg omg, etc :D :D

More info on that sweet rig somewhere?

Tenfilip

I need something that won't topple over. I have a synth on my desk and I'm afraid that when I play it like an insane person, the shock will make 'em tumble off the desk.
Well, you could somehow drill them down to the surface of desk, but there are dedicated solutions for that. Other option is to use the ones that are clamped to the desk and using the screw-in-microphone-like mounts- but then you need to have the MTMs over the edge (which may be too far?), or use ones with regulated arms, but these dont come cheep.

These look quite good for the job, BUT I need my MTM at 29 cm height, and this is minimum 35 CM - maybe someone way taller than me could use it, but not me:)

EDIT:
This:

+

This(needs drilling but doesnt limit to the edge of the desk):

OR

This (doesnt require drilling, yet limits you the edge of desk):

amazon.de/-/en/Gravity-For-microphones-GMSTM1B-black/dp/B01G4GCMX6/

Last edited:

jhenderson0107

Hi, in the background I see MACKIE HR824, which I have had for many years. How are MTMs doing against them? Of course they cannot be compared in lows..
I still like the 824's very much. I used them in my Den for years, then repurposed them as mix-down monitors in conjunction with Reaper for my classical guitar practice sessions and recordings. When playing real music played by competent musicians (other than me), they provide plenty of bass for nearfield use - I don't even use them with a sub. Here's the rest of that setup:

1651188289761.png

The iLoud MTMs also sound great and are used quadraphonic near-field on my gaming rig, augmented by an Adam 8" sub. The combination of the MTMs, the sub, the NLR seat and the four buttkickers are a blast for games, such as Rally 2 or DCS.

Tenfilip

I still like the 824's very much. I used them in my Den for years, then repurposed them as mix-down monitors in conjunction with Reaper for my classical guitar practice sessions and recordings. When playing real music played by competent musicians (other than me), they provide plenty of bass for nearfield use - I don't even use them with a sub. Here's the rest of that setup:

View attachment 203246

The iLoud MTMs also sound great and are used quadraphonic near-field on my gaming rig, augmented by an Adam 8" sub. The combination of the MTMs, the sub, the NLR seat and the four buttkickers are a blast for games, such as Rally 2 or DCS.
How do you integrate the sub with the MTMs? You got a multichannel sound card?

jhenderson0107

How do you integrate the sub with the MTMs? You got a multichannel sound card?
The sub incorporates an integrated crossover network. The L/R outputs from a Scarlett USB sound card route through the sub en-route to the iLoud MTMs. This crossover sums and low-pass filters the single 8" sub driver and also high-pass filters the MTMs.

Attachments

• 1651844305371.png
    1651844305371.png
    487.8 KB · Views: 102

Tenfilip

The sub incorporates an integrated crossover network. The L/R outputs from a Scarlett USB sound card route through the sub en-route to the iLoud MTMs. This crossover sums and low-pass filters the single 8" sub driver and also high-pass filters the MTMs.
Oh, I could use such a sub - looks like perfect solution for me, as I also use balanced, and need a HP filter. And I also use Focusrite:)

Do you have the same for front and rear left (or right) channel?

Vict0r

Oh, I could use such a sub - looks like perfect solution for me, as I also use balanced, and need a HP filter. And I also use Focusrite:)

Do you have the same for front and rear left (or right) channel?
Someone in this thread (I can't remember who, sorry) uses a Presonus Sub8. That one too has balanced TRS in/out and is very affordable.
16226371_800.jpg

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Someone in this thread (I can't remember who, sorry) uses a Presonus Sub8. That one too has balanced TRS in/out and is very affordable.
View attachment 204913

Me :)

I have a Topping EX5 connected to the Sub8 (XLR to TRS cable) and the Sub8 connected to the MTMs (TRS to XLR cable). Low pass is set to 80Hz on the Sub8 and LF Extension is also set to 80Hz on the MTMs (requires the latest firmware)

Tenfilip

Me :)

I have a Topping EX5 connected to the Sub8 (XLR to TRS cable) and the Sub8 connected to the MTMs (TRS to XLR cable). Low pass is set to 80Hz on the Sub8 and LF Extension is also set to 80Hz on the MTMs (requires the latest firmware)
Sweet! How does it work for you? Also, how do you set it up with fw? (I believe that the options "on the speaker" are only 40-60Hz?)

That a cool idea to get this sub. Currently I'm straggling between using something to get unbalanced RCA signal to my Tannoy TS 2.8, or selling it and geting a second hand basic Genelec.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sweet! How does it work for you? Also, how do you set it up with fw? (I believe that the options "on the speaker" are only 40-60Hz?)

That a cool idea to get this sub. Currently I'm straggling between using something to get unbalanced RCA signal to my Tannoy TS 2.8, or selling it and geting a second hand basic Genelec.

It works very well for me. Relieving the MTMs of the lower frequencies definitely helps them and the Sub8 doesn't take up too much space under the desk in my small study.

Details of the new 80Hz setting are near the bottom of this page: https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/iloudmtm/index.php?p=immersive

To get the new firmware, you need to login to the 'User Area' under the 'Support' menu on IK Multimedia's website. Then click on the Firmware Updates icon and scroll to the bottom of the page.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just bought these for my digital piano setup, where I often use my laptop and DAW as well to control virtual instruments, piano or otherwise. An unideal acoustic space in the corner of a railroad-style apartment.

So far quite impressed, if not surprised given the measurements. At just 2 feet away from my ears, I feel more than fine with the dynamic capability. The original Micros we're already fine for me, they just tended to have a bit of port noise and maybe sounded a little messy. These are much more capable in SPL by comparison.

I seem to have lucked out with the built-in calibration too -- it was an immediately obvious improvement and didn't seem to do much damage above the bass. It's not perfect, as there are still a few somewhat boomy notes, but it's no contest between the uncalibrated sound and the calibrated one.

Unfortunately I mistakenly thought that id be able to load the more advanced Arc 3 calibration directly onto the speakers. I don't have my laptop to the piano half the time, so at this point I am still wondering whether I'd be better off just getting a minidsp to make my own calibration with REW. Part of the reason I bought these was that I thought I could save some money on a DSP unit. There's also a stray source of noise somewhere along my signal chain but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the speakers themselves.

Still, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend these for very nearfield setups. I hope iLoud considers some more flexibility with the calibration going forward. Being able to limit the calibration range or load your own custom calibration onto the speakers would be great upgrades for us tinkerers.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The hiss is unbearable for me.

Other than that, I thought they were great.

I'm sensitive to hiss too, but mine have no audible hiss when connected to either my digital piano or my interface exclusively. At least, it's not above the noise floor not where my digital piano is set up right next to a window (the noise floor is high in my apartment anyway).

The problem is I currently have my audio interface running through my digital piano's inputs and then that outputs to the speakers. Somewhere along the way, noise is being introduced.

This worked just fine with the smaller Micros, but for some reason the same signal chain is much noiser on the MTM, even though the MTMs themselves are less noisy to my ear. The MTM also seem to have a noise gate which I actually find more distracting than when there is just constant noise, so I end up turning up the gain a bit to prevent the gate from coming on and off.

So I'm trying to isolate the source of the noise. If not I could just set up an A/B switch or try routing my piano's output through my interface instead, but I really liked how clean my setup was before so hopefully I'll find a way to minimize the noise.

Vict0r

The hiss is unbearable for me.

Other than that, I thought they were great.
My MTM's have been basically silent ever since I've connected them to a Motu M4 balanced USB interface. Are you running them unbalanced perhaps?

Music1969

Major Contributor
My MTM's have been basically silent ever since I've connected them to a Motu M4 balanced USB interface. Are you running them unbalanced perhaps?
It's not ground loop hum that you get from unbalanced.

I ran with balanced.

It's just hiss that you can hear with no music playing or even during quiet passages.

A few people in this thread have noted the same.

I guess its possible they fixed it in later production units.

Top Bottom