• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Most aesthetically pleasing amplifiers

Godataloss

scott 340a.jpg
Nice tries guys, but the Scott 340a is clearly the winner.

Godataloss

Nice for ~1962? It's those slide switches that give it away. :D All lit up with the tubes glowing it would be a impressive unit on the shelf.
Yep. Only made it a year or two. It's the split-widow vette of receivers. I've sold off most of my tube gear, but I keep this one around just to look at.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep. Only made it a year or two. It's the split-widow vette of receivers. I've sold off most of my tube gear, but I keep this one around just to look at.
I could not find one for sale but I found a volume pot assembly for $90.00 :D

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
For years, I enjoyed the sound and appearance of this in my system:
Mc gear is soooo sexy, I just never could afford any.
We all know it doesn't get any better than the Benchmark stuff but i just doesn't do it for me visually.

With 1500 VDC on the plates, the "hands off" tag isn't just a prop
Oh wow, look at the old school screw-in Fusetron fuses on the tubes.
Haven't seen them since living in my 100 year old house in chicago.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What was the deal with Scott? Are they still in business. To my knowledge we never had them in the UK. I only know of the brand from reading the American forums.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
What was the deal with Scott? Are they still in business. To my knowledge we never had them in the UK. I only know of the brand from reading the American forums.
Not as such, no. The name might still be in use, but if so, it's just a brand name.

Godataloss

How do you feel about the AC/DC umm, I mean AM/FM (simulcast) stereo Scott 399 receiver? Big knobs! :)
Wish I had one (either FM or AM/FM)...
HH_Scott_399.jpg

(borrowed image)
I'd love to hear one as I enjoy the EL84 sound and that one looks to be in wonderful condition. All the gold-faced Scott gear is sexy as hell. I had a pair of 210f's restored as well-
and they were pretty exceptional sonically, but I still think the 340a is the class of the lot looks-wise and has decent power for most speakers.

Godataloss

I think they struggled to get market share competing against Fisher.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I think they struggled to get market share competing against Fisher.
You're probably correct -- Sherwood/Scott/Fisher. The latter two certainly seemed to be perceived to be a bit downmarket relative to Fisher (and Marantz). Some of that, I think, was Avery's very successful branding and marketing. I like all three. All three designed, made & sold excellent AM and FM tuners, too (as, of course, did Marantz, viz. the legendary 10B FM stereo tuner). My collection is enriched in Scott & Sherwood relative to Fisher*, as they tend to be a bit less pricey than the Fishers even today. ;)

Top Bottom