• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does this vertical dispersion make for a bad choice as atmos speaker?

GabrielPhoto

Hello,
I have been researching to upgrade my atmos speakers and within limitations it seems outdoor speakers will be the easiest option to replace my Polk OWM3 as they normally have a threaded insert which makes it a quick swap.
But something about outdoor speakers does not make me feel right so I started considering the PBS P3 but then I was reminded again of the Ascend 200SE:
My concern on that one is that if I am reading the vertical dispersion correctly, I am looking at about 15% which at a distance of 6.5' or so from MLP it doesnt look like it would give me a very wide "good sound" area. Or maybe is not that bad after all?
I am assuming this speaker will sound much better than something like the HTD Q65 outdoor speaker or an OSD AP650.
Am I interpreting things right?
1651591460233.png
1651591460233.png

OP
G

GabrielPhoto

Go for coaxial drivers for atmos?
I wish I could find one that was not huge with threaded inserts. Then again, maybe vertical dispersion aint that important for this since they will be pointing to MLP

Doctors11

I wish I could find one that was not huge with threaded inserts. Then again, maybe vertical dispersion aint that important for this since they will be pointing to MLP
Maybe these?

OP
G

GabrielPhoto

OP
G

GabrielPhoto

It seems that most atmos speakers usually just spec down to 150Hz though.
Yeah thats why I have been looking at bookshelf speakers or outdoor speakers instead

kenimaru

But why? If no signal below 150Hz will be sent to the Atmos modules then it wouldn't have mattered, there will be nothing to cross over.

OP
G

GabrielPhoto

But why? If no signal below 150Hz will be sent to the Atmos modules then it wouldn't have mattered, there will be nothing to cross over.
That is not what Dolby states though

Dolby Atmos audio is mixed using discrete, full-range audio objects that may move around anywhere in three-dimensional space. With this in mind, overhead speakers should complement the frequency response, output, and power-handling capabilities of the listener-level speakers.

Have you seen any measurements of Atmos channels for recent movies? I would love to see what mixes for home are getting for those channels

Last edited:

kenimaru

What about the Hsu CCB-8 which is a coaxial? granted it's more expensive than the Ascend.

Doctors11

Those look nice but unfortunately take me back where I dont want to be, crossover over 80Hz ((+/- 3dB) 120-30,000 Hz)
Thanks!
It's not coaxial but it does hit 80hz, is a slim design and has dual 1/4-20 threaded inserts on the back.

And similar but these hit 70hz.

Ciobi69

I had an idea ,what about using for example kef bookshelf speakers? The q series should be cheaper and their coaxial work vertical and horizontal wise

OP
G

GabrielPhoto

I got a reply from David from Ascend so looks like I am going to order those since he stated
"Our 200 has broad dispersion, both vertically and horizontally. If you are looking for the max angle I would recommend with regard to frequency response, I would say +/- 50 degrees horizontally and +/- 45 degrees vertically, with the speaker positioned in an upright position. If positioned horizontally, then it would be +/- 50 degrees vertically and +/- 45 degrees horizontally."

OP
G

GabrielPhoto

I got a reply from David from Ascend so looks like I am going to order those since he stated
"Our 200 has broad dispersion, both vertically and horizontally. If you are looking for the max angle I would recommend with regard to frequency response, I would say +/- 50 degrees horizontally and +/- 45 degrees vertically, with the speaker positioned in an upright position. If positioned horizontally, then it would be +/- 50 degrees vertically and +/- 45 degrees horizontally."
Do the measurements posted on first post match these claims?

Top Bottom