• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL Studio 6 alive on USA JBL site 698, 690, 630, 620, 610, 665c, 625c, 650p

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
For those who have been wondering and waiting.
It appears JBL is getting ready to sell the Studio 6 line in the USA.
It is live on the on the new JBL updated USA site and while one can not yet buy them they are deff presented now.

1641654415082.png

Rick63

Yep, they are in the 2022 Music Direct catalog on page 156. I am interested in giving the 630 a listen so I emailed Music Direct to see if they have an estimated in stock date, but they do not at this time. I recall reading a post on a other forum where someone contacted Crutchfield and they said they should be in stock around June.

20220108_101354.jpg
20220108_101811.jpg
20220108_101820.jpg

Prolix

Forum Donor
Anyone hear anything about when these might be available?

AwesomeSauce2015

HEY!
The Studio 5xx series looks awesome in person! - When you have the grills on...
I mean, the black color and finish isn't the greatest, but that's to be expected from JBL.
The effect of having only the giant horn visible really does something for your expectations, and the speakers live up to it.

Actually, I'd say that the 5xx series is one of the few speakers out there that both looks good and sounds better with the grills on, so they are probably good for families with children or pets!

Digby

Major Contributor
Compression drivers, starting at $600....those are incredible prices! Bass driver looks rather basic though, who knows...

TimW

Major Contributor
Comparing the Studio 620 to the Studio 530:
  • Same MSRP of $600
  • Same Driver Sizes and in fact the drivers may be identical
    • Both use the 1" JBL 2414H-1 compression driver
    • Both use a 5 1/4" PolyPlass (paper/plastic hybrid) woofer
      • From images and render they both look to have a very similar cast aluminum frame, dust cap color is only obvious difference.
  • Same nominal impedance spec of 6 ohms
  • 620 has lower sensitivity spec (84dB vs 86dB)
    • Probably due to smaller baffle size and crossover tuning but also may be due to waveguide design.
    • Also may be more accurate than the 530 spec.
  • 620 has lower recommended amplifier power (100W vs 125W)
    • Might just be a more realistic spec.
  • 620 has a higher specified crossover point (2.3kHz vs 1.5kHz)
    • Probably due to waveguide design.
    • Hopefully they didn't compromise the crossover circuit too much to save money.
  • 620 has less low frequency extension according to the frequency response spec (50Hz-40kHz vs 45Hz-40kHz)
    • 530 spec says 45Hz is at -6dB while the 620 spec has no dB information
    • Due to smaller enclosure volume?
To me it seems like the 620 is a more domestically friendly version of the 530. It's smaller and looks more like a typical modern speaker with its curved edges and magnetic grill. Maybe JBL worked their magic with the newer waveguide design and accompanying crossover to get even better performance. But from my perspective the 620 seems like a replacement of the 530 that isn't much of an upgrade, and may actually be a downgrade in the name of cost reduction and modern décor sensibilities.

AwesomeSauce2015

Comparing the Studio 620 to the Studio 530:
  • Same MSRP of $600
  • Same Driver Sizes and in fact the drivers may be identical
    • Both use the 1" JBL 2414H-1 compression driver
    • Both use a 5 1/4" PolyPlass (paper/plastic hybrid) woofer
      • From images and render they both look to have a very similar cast aluminum frame, dust cap color is only obvious difference.
  • Same nominal impedance spec of 6 ohms
  • 620 has lower sensitivity spec (84dB vs 86dB)
    • Probably due to smaller baffle size and crossover tuning but also may be due to waveguide design.
    • Also may be more accurate than the 530 spec.
  • 620 has lower recommended amplifier power (100W vs 125W)
    • Might just be a more realistic spec.
  • 620 has a higher specified crossover point (2.3kHz vs 1.5kHz)
    • Probably due to waveguide design.
    • Hopefully they didn't compromise the crossover circuit too much to save money.
  • 620 has less low frequency extension according to the frequency response spec (50Hz-40kHz vs 45Hz-40kHz)
    • 530 spec says 45Hz is at -6dB while the 620 spec has no dB information
    • Due to smaller enclosure volume?
To me it seems like the 620 is a more domestically friendly version of the 530. It's smaller and looks more like a typical modern speaker with its curved edges and magnetic grill. Maybe JBL worked their magic with the newer waveguide design and accompanying crossover to get even better performance. But from my perspective the 620 seems like a replacement of the 530 that isn't much of an upgrade, and may actually be a downgrade in the name of cost reduction and modern décor sensibilities.
I don't think that the new 6-series shares a tweeter with the 5-series. 2 reasons:
1. The x-over frequency is way higher, and it wouldn't make sense for JBL to do that with a driver that can handle 1.5khz. (The waveguide could be suspect, but the HDI-series crosses over lower (1.9khz) and these seem to be based off the HDI-series.
2. When looking at the model #s of the 530 CD, it doesn't seem to match up with any model # I can find for the 2414H-1 CD.
Also, it wouldn't really make sense for JBL to use a tweeter as old as the 500-series in any new design, considering they have new drivers like the ones in the 700-series studio monitors and HDI-series, which are supposedly better.

Of course, if someone finds evidence that the two drivers are the same, that would be very interesting...

Edit: I have seen the post below which shows the 2414H-1 inside of the Studio 530... I guess it is just a cosmetic / waveguide / crossover update.

Last edited:

GabrielPhoto

At least they LOOK better than the 5xx series!
Eye of the beholder.. I find them rather generic..the Series 5 I love their unique looks!

TimW

Major Contributor
I don't think that the new 6-series shares a tweeter with the 5-series. 2 reasons:
1. The x-over frequency is way higher, and it wouldn't make sense for JBL to do that with a driver that can handle 1.5khz. (The waveguide could be suspect, but the HDI-series crosses over lower (1.9khz) and these seem to be based off the HDI-series.
2. When looking at the model #s of the 530 CD, it doesn't seem to match up with any model # I can find for the 2414H-1 CD.
Also, it wouldn't really make sense for JBL to use a tweeter as old as the 500-series in any new design, considering they have new drivers like the ones in the 700-series studio monitors and HDI-series, which are supposedly better.

Of course, if someone finds evidence that the two drivers are the same, that would be very interesting...
From the Studio 620 page:
1651526483478.png

From a Studio 530 teardown:
index.php

TimW

Major Contributor
Keep in mind that the $600 MSRP JBL Studio 530 regularly goes on sale for less than $300 a pair. I got mine when they were $250. I imagine JBL may do the same shenanigans with this new 6 series so they have to still make money during the 60% off sale. I wouldn't count on these sharing any parts with the 700-series studio monitors or the HDI-series. I think they are just updating this mid tier lineup to better match the look and design ethos of their other current products.

AwesomeSauce2015

Huh. Interesting.
I guess it is more of a cosmetic update then. We'll have to see how the new waveguide does compared to the old one then...
I mean, I've heard the HDI series and the imaging was really impressive, and I also have heard the 5 series and was very impressed.
So these speakers will definitely be good, it's just a matter of deciding whether they are good-er than the 5 series... The 3-way tower looks very promising, if one could find it for half off...

They may not do the shenanigans, from what I've seen, the 5-series was really their only speaker lineup that semi-regularly went on crazy sales, and given that the 6-series isn't even under the same page on their website, I doubt we will see massive discounts regularly (Though I do hope so, as it would bring the value proposition up to the level of the 5 series).

OP
R

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Keep in mind that the $600 MSRP JBL Studio 530 regularly goes on sale for less than $300 a pair. I got mine when they were $250. I imagine JBL may do the same shenanigans with this new 6 series so they have to still make money during the 60% off sale. I wouldn't count on these sharing any parts with the 700-series studio monitors or the HDI-series. I think they are just updating this mid tier lineup to better match the look and design ethos of their other current products.
Huh. Interesting.
I guess it is more of a cosmetic update then. We'll have to see how the new waveguide does compared to the old one then...
I mean, I've heard the HDI series and the imaging was really impressive, and I also have heard the 5 series and was very impressed.
So these speakers will definitely be good, it's just a matter of deciding whether they are good-er than the 5 series... The 3-way tower looks very promising, if one could find it for half off...

They may not do the shenanigans, from what I've seen, the 5-series was really their only speaker lineup that semi-regularly went on crazy sales, and given that the 6-series isn't even under the same page on their website, I doubt we will see massive discounts regularly (Though I do hope so, as it would bring the value proposition up to the level of the 5 series).
There is no chance it is a cosmetic upgrade.
The entirely different waveguide alone is a substantial difference.
Note it is not the same HDI guide used in the HDI line.

You can make completely different speakers using the same or similar drivers.
The tweeter variation of the 2414 used in the 590's is actually an upgraded version, which is not used in the 600 line AFAIK

Anyway I really like the 500 series and the clearance/sale prices have been hard to beat.
One reason they have been able to sell for such a good price is the 530 line went true factory direct only (not fake factory direct like SVS style), so essentially they are getting a great price from the customer at half off and about what a dealer would pay them at 60% off. Basically they make out the same as if Crutchfield did the selling.
Also all the hype of the sales for the past 2-3 years has had them stacking em' high and watching them fly.

I suspect the 600 line will be pretty good. It has been out overseas for 3 years already and word is they are good but an honest step below the HDI line as to be expected. These are not products designed after the HDI line but rather at the same time and delayed in the USA likely due to the very late success of the 500 line here in the USA.

jEDGEc0m

The entirely different waveguide alone is a substantial difference.
Note it is not the same HDI guide used in the HDI line.
Seems that way - How did you confirm this?
I have the Studio 630. I noticed a slight bulge in the waveguide which didn't seem to appear in photos of HDI series, despite originally assuming they'd be the same. Can kinda see the shadow in this stock footage, HDI don't have that bulge.

1652170080180.png

vs HDI-1600
1652171818257.png

lighting catches it better in this stock footage of a 680

1652170196900.png

I'm using them in a pretty odd shaped open plan room with openings to 2 hallways... have UMIK-1 measured in-room. what happens under 600hz probably irrelevant to speaker. I'm using them supported by a pair of low frequency speakers...

When first dropping them into system "as-is", rolling off to the subs that are room corrected - they sounded alright. not hugely dissimilar to what i had (and was rather satisfied with) Previously had mk1 JBL studio S26, USA made - bronze coloured polyplas woofer, titanium tweeter, little waveguide, circa 1999 I think - might be basically the same polyplas driver as 5 and 6 series? pretty similar other than colour. but that may not mean much.

anyway, briefly like that, paying attention a bit more, thought they were maybe a bit "shouty" to my ear - listen mostly to stuff with electric guitars, often distorted some or lots. high end was certainly not bothersome - but maybe seemed a bit chilled out, rolled off.

quick UMIK-1 measurement showed a bit of a raised area ~1500hz. Dropping that with a quick PEQ filter seemed to better suit my preference and perhaps music i listen to. (UMIK-1 measurements done with moving-mic method, pink noise.) Played them like that maybe 5 days.

More thorough measure and correction revealed that i do prefer an in-room "target curve" brighter than harman target - which perhaps the natural character of the former JBL S26 suited well... and that actually meant less "Adjustment" to the ~3500Hz+region.

attached is the ~600hz up UMIK-1 measure of Studio 630 and S26 mk1.
note that the S26 measure does bear some resemblance to what appears to be Harman's measurements...

final tune in room with custom target curve left the 630s higher frequencies less touched than harman target. Switching between those 2 targets was a pretty big difference.

I like the 630, but not sure preferred or even much difference to S26 once room corrected and with managed bass, if i were blind tested... maybe that lil S26 waveguide does a good job with directivity to manage things in a pretty bad room.

mic measure graph quite vertically zoomed. looks kinda nasty as a result - infer as you wish. Db scale is there...
Stock photo of ol' S26 included here for fun too.
ps: x-over of Studio 630 claims to be 1900hz. 620 claims 2300hz

Would be plenty interested to see directivity of 630 measured - but also the S26 - wonder if the S26 is actually a really really great oldie goodie!

Attachments

• JBL studio 630 & vs JBL Studio S26 mk1 made in USA - moving mic in room pink noise 600hz and u...png
    JBL studio 630 & vs JBL Studio S26 mk1 made in USA - moving mic in room pink noise 600hz and u...png
    55.3 KB · Views: 489
  • 41G30BFAMAL[1].jpg
    41G30BFAMAL[1].jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 422
Last edited:

GabrielPhoto

Still hoping to buy the STUDIO 610 as atmos filter my 590s

RichVelvet

Yesterday, I asked a Harman support agent via text when the Studio 6 series will be available in the U.S. from Harman. Reply was they do not expect any stock for the next 2-3 months.

I have a question about the design of the Studio 5 and 6 series and use of the 2414H-1. Its recommended crossover point is 1.9 kHz. The Studio 530, 570 and 580 have a crossover point of 1.5 kHz. For the Studio 620, 630 and 680, the crossover point is 2.3, 1.9 and 1.8 kHz, respectively. Both the Studio 5 and 6 series appear to use the same woofers depending on the model. My question is, what, if anything, can anything be inferred or learned from renowned designer Greg Timbers' decision to push the 2414H-1 below its recommended crossover point in the Studio 5 series (and being very pleased with the sonic performance), compared to JBL's designers adjusting the crossover point in the 6 series using the same 2414H-1 and woofers?

OP
R

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
More delay, bummer!

The tweeter can handle all of the above mentioned x-over points.
It is all about design implementation and especially in case of these speakers the waveguide properties and how the guide matches the output of the woofer(s)
It being a compression driver the recommendation, which is only a general guideline, is likely intended for horn loaded PA systems.

You absolutely can not ever separate the tweeter driver from the waveguide in terms of establishing it's "limits". They are one unit. Even a small waveguide, let alone a large one can increase a drivers ability to play lower frequencies and if horn loading is involved its ability to handle higher SPL.

The same tweeter is used in several entry level JBL PA speakers (EON 10,12,15 all crossed at 1800hrz and designed for PA level playback - louder than you will even use in home even at THX reference) and can handle 120+db maximum outputs when loaded into those waveguides.

In my experience with the JBL 5 series the woofers give out before the tweeter. More specifically in terms of looking at just the 530, no other budget speaker I have ever tested can handle the SPL levels this tweeter can. It shows absolutely no stress, no hardening no distortion at 100-105+db from 12 feet away. The woofer can not keep up and needs a 24db 125-150hrz high pass at those levels or it will compress and start to sound congested.(or perhaps explode if driver with low bass at those levels)

Last edited:

RichVelvet

More delay, bummer!

The tweeter can handle all of the above mentioned x-over points.
It is all about design implementation and especially in case of these speakers the waveguide properties and how the guide matches the output of the woofer(s)
It being a compression driver the recommendation, which is only a general guideline, is likely intended for horn loaded PA systems.

You absolutely can not ever separate the tweeter driver from the waveguide in terms of establishing it's "limits". They are one unit. Even a small waveguide, let alone a large one can increase a drivers ability to play lower frequencies and if horn loading is involved its ability to handle higher SPL.

The same tweeter is used in several entry level JBL PA speakers (EON 10,12,15 all crossed at 1800hrz and designed for PA level playback - louder than you will even use in home even at THX reference) and can handle 120+db maximum outputs when loaded into those waveguides.

In my experience with the JBL 5 series the woofers give out before the tweeter. More specifically in terms of looking at just the 530, no other budget speaker I have ever tested can handle the SPL levels this tweeter can. It shows absolutely no stress, no hardening no distortion at 100-105+db from 12 feet away. The woofer can not keep up and needs a 24db 125-150hrz high pass at those levels or it will compress and start to sound congested.(or perhaps explode if driver with low bass at those levels)
Rooskie, thanks, that explanation is very helpful. I was concerned when I read that the Studio 6 series "resolved" the crossover point issue in the Studio 5 series. Perhaps that's just marketing and/or passive shade being thrown after GT's departure. :cool:

Beave

Major Contributor
Excellent points in your post, Rooskie.

To reiterate, the oft-repeated "recommended" crossover point for these tweeters being 1.9kHz is based on some *very* limited published specs for the tweeters. Those specs just say "Frequency range: 1.9kHz to 20kHz." The specs don't mention anything about crossover slopes (how steep or shallow said crossover needs to be), nor does it mention anything about distortion, or when dynamic compression kicks in, etc.

Not to mention the very important point that Rooskie mentioned, that when the tweeter is put in a waveguide or horn, its lower frequency range and limits can be altered *significantly." A horn or waveguide can give a huge boost to a tweeter's lower range. Tweeters in a waveguide or horn can often be crossed lower than they otherwise could be without a waveguide or horn. And just how much lower depends on the waveguide or horn characteristics, as the two become a "system" as Rooskie pointed out.

In summary, that lower limit of 1.9kHz for those tweeters is just too simplified to be very informative.

Top Bottom