• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH420 Review (Studio Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 5.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 488 93.5%

• Total voters

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You could put little spikey feet on the legs and sell them for $2K per pair. ;)
...and don't forget to put the doorstop atop the speaker as well for an added $1000.

Moonhead

Much Applied Amir, you are star.
Most of us been waiting for this and Neumann delivers again.

Music1969

Major Contributor

f5b.jpeg

lherrm

I'd take my 1237A over them anyway :cool:
If anyone in US would agree to, I'd be willing to put a coin (like 200$) to help ship a 1237A/1238A forth and back to @amirm or @hardisj to see how Genelec's equivalent behaves. If other people would like to participate, don't hesitate.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir needs to start lifting. Tired of hear about how he can't lift <100lbs.

Leaving aside the proposition that nobody is obliged to risk personal injury to satisfy people on the internet, as often as not the issue with moving heavy speakers is grip more than just mass. A 100lb barbell with knurled grips is quite different from a smooth-sided shape with awkward mass distribution, soft bits that could be dented or broken if you put a finger through them, and maybe port openings to use as hand-holds.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Nice :).
Maybe this could be one of the worlds best analog active loudspeaker ?
Personally, I would like digital inputs and a dsp crossover thats driven directly with a digital signal, thats the next level of clarity if you ask me.
In Genelec SAM monitors, you also have GLM with roomcorrection individually for each loudspeaker .
That said, listen before you buy - This could be better sounding than Genelec 8351, maybe….

FeddyLost

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Will I regret it to buy the Neumann over the Salon 2 or the Genelec? I want to buy quality once and want never look back.
IMO you should check out
1) design issues
2) availability of existing amplification
3) required SPL and measurement of Salon2
By the way, 3*8" is much more than single 10", and properly crafted hard membranes are more "revealing" than soft ones.
So, if you are already own great amplification, i'd audition Salon2s at least before tilting to KH420.
And there is such nasty thing as floor bounce: it shall be less audible with vertical bass array.

- easy to soffit mount

Only if you can provide decent cooling of the integrated amp.
One can only wonder how outwordly a full DSP-ed version could be.
Exactly. Without this array of switches and opamps and caps in sound path.
But Neumann is a big company, so they do only what is "good enough for sell".
Like " you don't need to be faster than the bear, you need to be faster than another tourist".

PS It would be nice to see GD of ported speakers
to understand the degree to which manufacturer is relying to ports
and
to estimate if decent pair of sealed subs will improve the performance
if FR and distortion is already good enough.

changer

Looks nice in white, with nice stands. State of the art sound.

Whoa, two separate propositions. State of the art sound: undisputed. The looks does not care about a spin, though ..

changer

Then you must have experienced an absurd amount of bass I suppose. Would have been interesting to hear about your listening impression after room EQ. I assume the tonality would have been much better then, maybe closing in on the Genelecs.

DualTriode

Hello All,

Why is it that the amplifiers on these powered speakers get a pass?

If these amplifiers were separate we would be wondering if they were under powered or if the SINAD were too low.

As it is, the speakers are great and the amplifiers do not get a sweep or a plot posted.

Seems like we should start testing speakers with a good enough integrated amplifier and stop giving the amplifier even a mention.

Thanks DT

Last edited:

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
So, this makes me wonder again why those who call themselves "audiophiles" avoid speakers like this. Maybe they are more interested in the visual appeal than the sound itself.
Absolutely right! Almost all audiophiles, excluding Pros, base their equipment buying decision on visual aspect and marketing points. And then they force themselves to like the poor quality sound by enduring break-in, burn-in periods of time and finally they upgrade to more expensive speaker and so on...
But, on the other hand I don't think that we should undermine human need for esthetic and I admit that I am very sensitive to visual aspect and I would never bring these Neumanns into my living room no matter how great they sound. Who doesn't mind the looks or even likes them, great for them.
These speakers are not home hifi speakers, these speakers are tools for producing music and in that regard they are fantastic.
I would rather buy Dutch & Dutch speakers because they somewhat have a home friendly visual design.

Tangband

Major Contributor
A little off topic , but for the same price as two KH420 you could buy two Neumann KH310 with two active subs from the same brand. The main difference seems to be that KH310 have an 8 inch driver instead of the KH410:s 10 inch.
58412674-5382-4966-B547-BB9C4775BBE3.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom