• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH420 Review (Studio Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 5.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 488 93.5%

• Total voters

quorzar

I'm waiting to get some used Revel Ultima Salon 2 here in Germany and now this review. It almost cost the same but with these Ill get a new product. Will I regret it to buy the Neumann over the Salon 2 or the Genelec? I want to buy quality once and want never look back. What should I do now?

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I'm waiting to get some used Revel Ultima Salon 2 here in Germany and now this review. It almost cost the same but with these Ill get a new product. Will I regret it to buy the Neumann over the Salon 2 or the Genelec? I want to buy quality once and want never look back. What should I do now?
Here's another dilemma, I'm assuming there will be a KH420 MKII with built in DSP;)
Anyways if i was in the same situation I would choose the Genelecs because i like the coaxial design and aluminum cabinets + GLM

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Punt? Toss a coin?

dfuller

Major Contributor
The way I see it, these include amps that don't have to be put somewhere.

Blockader

Here's another dilemma, I'm assuming there will be a KH420 MKII with built in DSP;)
Anyways if i was in the same situation I would choose the Genelecs because i like the coaxial design and aluminum cabinets + GLM
I think it's worth to mention that Neumann's are less distorted than Genelec's(especially IMD is high on coaxial drivers) and Neumann's have more higher max SPL output. KH 420's have 120db max output around midrange and 110db in high treble. Coaxials tradeoff high SPL output/low IMD for smooth vertical directivity.

Genelec 8361's distortion:
Genelec 8361A Measurements 106 dB THD Distortion Powered Studio Monitor Speaker.png

As a proud KH 420 owner, I'm glad to see they perform extremely good.

Last edited:

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
What advantages / disadvantages does the KH420 has vs 8361 for not being coaxial?

Reactions: CMB

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What advantages / disadvantages does the KH420 has vs 8361 for not being coaxial?
The vertical sweetspot for one. Though I doubt anyone has considered them for near-field use, but these for sure would lose to the Genelec in that instance.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I think it's worth to mention that Neumann's are less distorted than Genelec's(especially IMD is high on coaxial drivers) and Neumann's have more higher max SPL output. KH 420's have 120db max output around midrange and 110db in high treble. Coaxials tradeoff high SPL output/low IMD to smooth vertical directivity.

As a proud. KH 420 owner, I'm glad to see they perform extremely good.
You heard them side by side?

dfuller

Major Contributor
KH420 advantages:
- lower IMD
- spooky soft dome midrange thing
- slightly lower distortion above the bass region at very loud SPL
- not bloody hideous
- easy to soffit mount

8361 advantages:
- smaller
- spooky coaxial imaging thing
- better vertical off-axis behavior (though I can't imagine this matters in their actual proper usage)

Blockader

Comparing this to the JBL M2, this Neumann seems to win except for <30Hz bass and max SPL (in Erin’s 96dB THD test, the deep bass has far lower distortion).
8fEOHoTLlXigAAAAASUVORK5CYII.png

M2's max output vs frequency

Neumann KH 420's output vs frequency

unknown (8).png

Obviously M2's have higher bass output. (duh, bigger drivers) 420's have higher 5khz+ output which is a bit surprising for me. I was expecting higher output from compression drivers compared to same sized dome tweeters. Probably, M2's compression drivers are EQ'd to compensate their roll off.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
KH420 advantages:
- lower IMD
- spooky soft dome midrange thing
- slightly lower distortion in general above the bass region
- not bloody hideous
- easy to soffit mount

8361 advantages:
- smaller
- spooky coaxial imaging thing
- better vertical off-axis behavior (though I can't imagine this matters in their actual proper usage)
Looks like the KH420 is winning

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm Sorry to ask a question unrelated to the review, but, what are the speakers in your cabinet? Inquiring minds and all that...View attachment 203679
They are Revel M20 circa year 2000. They have been discontinued for a long time. They serve as excellent "TV speakers" even in the non-optimal side-ways orientation. :)

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the review!
While reading your results, I had to scroll up to verify the price three times.
By the time I got to the bottom of the review, I realized that the savings from not needing a sub or an amp probably cuts the price substantially.
I am wondering what kind of internal amplification they utilize.
What's up with the stand below the speaker?
Looks quite bit larger than a bookshelf though!
Edit (add):

Amplification

HF Amplifier: Class-AB Rated at 130 W / 140 W Peak
MF Amplifier: Class-AB Rated at 130 W / 140 W Peak
LF Amplifier: Class-AB Rated at 295 W / 330 W Peak

Power Consumption

60 W (Standby)
800 W (Maximum)

Dimensions (W x H x D)

13 x 25.4 x 17.5" / 330 x 645 x 444 mm

Weight

77.2 lb / 35.0 kg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What's up with the stand below the speaker?
It is a step stool from our kitchen. :) The stands that I have are too tall for this speaker relative to its acoustic center. This stool worked surprisingly well.

dfuller

Major Contributor
I am wondering what kind of internal amplification they utilize.
They're using TDA7293 class AB chip amps, if the other speakers are any indication.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This seems to be so far the best speaker measured here … overall.
That , this is achieved without DSP is spectacular feat. One can only wonder how outwordly a full DSP-ed version could be.
Kudos to Neumann.

Peace.

Top Bottom