• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recoton RCA Cable Review (Ultra Cheap Cable)

Rate this cable

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 4.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 13 5.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 77 29.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 159 60.9%

• Total voters

JSmith

Master Contributor
But how does it sound?
200.gif
:cool:

JSmith

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
202204_BoonesBerryFarms.jpg

Even though BoonesBerry decided to change their brand name (sans 'Berry'), you would still have a tough time finding a bottle of it in aisles of wine cellar.
On the other hand, if you are just looking for 3% alcohol uptake with your prime rib dinner... it will do, perfectly.;)

chych7

Sure. But how does it sound?

:D

That's a question that tends to be outside of the bounds of "science" and the scope of this website. Sound only exists in our minds, which brings in the observer into play. Science has difficulty handling that.

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
That's a question that tends to be outside of the bounds of "science" and the scope of this website. Sound only exists in our minds, which brings in the observer into play. Science has difficulty handling that.
You might have missed the intent of that smiley emoticon -- I'm just sayin'... :D

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeh, this is a problem. I bought a bunch of low cost XLR cables since they came in different colors. After a few dozen uses, the female end would no longer make a secure connection. Had to cut it off and terminate with a Neutrik connector. Sadly I could not find any quality cable that wasn't just black.
BJC will fabricate XLR cables from Belden 1800F in multiple colors.

dsnyder0cnn

Time for me to order a six-pack of these and re-wire my system! Hope they sound as good as the one measured here.

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor
Time for me to order a six-pack of these and re-wire my system! Hope they sound as good as the one measured here.

Wow, those are fancy -- unlike the one I sent to Amir, they look like they have built-in Y-adapters! :cool:

Putter

Forum Donor
“Next time someone shames you that your RCA cables are too thin and dirt cheap looking, you can point them to this review to show that they give you all the performance you or anyone else needs!”

Only This worth an annual subscription to ASR magazine…
Fantastic!
I recall that journal of the high end, What Hi Fi, saying they could easily distinguish between the throw in cables that came in with your CD player or other component and the quality cables they use for their tests. Aside from the issue that they likely never actually did a blind test, it also brings up the question why a manufacturer would provide an item that would degrade the performance or even make it inoperable of their expensive component? They LIKE returns? No, obviously cheap cables are not a problem or they would include more expensive ones or make you buy your own.

Last edited:

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor
I recall that journal of the high end, What Hi Fi, saying they could easily distinguish between the throw in cables that came in with your CD player or other component and the quality cables they use for their tests. Aside from the issue that they likely never actually did a blind test, it also brings up the question why a manufacturer would provide an item that would degrade the performance or even make it inoperable of their expensive component? They LIKE returns? No obviously cheap cables are not a problem or they would include more expensive ones or make you buy your own.

(In?)Famous "high end" huckster Paul McGowan of PS Audio says the standard IEC AC line cords packed with his products are only provided as a "courtesy" and ought to be replaced with "audiophile" power cords -- no doubt from his friends at Audioquest or some such snake oil vendor -- at the earliest possible opportunity. I kid you not!

Why throw away power cables?

Tks

Major Contributor
Who actually makes the conductors and insulation in any of the overpriced boutique cables?
Snake oil salesmen are already decievers, even if you got an answer out of them (admission they don't do it themselves, which is obvious), you sure as heck won't get them to reveal who their suppliers are.

So something like BlueJeansCable (they actually disclose who they get their supply from), isn't something you can expect out of most of those audiophile cable companies. Granted BlueJeans aren't snakeoil salesmen so I should apologize for even hinting at a relation to audiophile boutique brands.

Folks that produce wire on scale aren't going to waste their time with the demand of snake oil cable manufacturing. It doesn't make financial sense in the same way it wouldn't make sense if TSMC started producing NFT art or something of the sort (not the best comparison, but just trying to put into scope why a boutique cable company wouldn't waste their time being such if they can pump out quality wire that can serve other industries to far greater financial benefit).

If you're actually making your own wire, the only time you'd be specialized in serving a specific field is perhaps where you can charge for some crazy specced cables (medical or scientific) not really available to public buyers. And not silly audiophiles.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
(In?)Famous "high end" huckster Paul McGowan of PS Audio says the standard IEC AC line cords packed with his products are only provided as a "courtesy" and ought to be replaced with "audiophile" power cords -- no doubt from his friends at Audioquest or some such snake oil vendor -- at the earliest possible opportunity. I kid you not!

Why throw away power cables?

Paul doesn't want you to buy power cables from audioquest but the power cables he sells. The AC12 for instance.
When you want this cable all 'fancied up' and 1m in length it'll draw $ 2,000.- from our wallet. A 2m cable will draw $ 2,500.- from your wallet.

Assuming one has: A PS12, 2 monoblocks, a pre-amp, a DAC and a transport you will need 6 cables....
That'll draw a bit over 10k$ extra from your wallet... just because Paul says it'll sound better than his 'courtesy cables'.

Paul likes to extract money from PS Audio fanboys that hang onto his lips.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Top Bottom