• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping LA90 evaluation and discussion (Integrated Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 42 60.9%

• Total voters

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
Just a few questions if I may. Is this really an accomplishment? The number is amazing but does it really translate to everyday purchase and use?

At what level is the extra sinad moot? Are we going to hear a difference if we go to 120, 140, 160 etc. what is enough for the transparency you are desiring?

Because of low power this might be better for people with efficient speakers but generally speaking people who use efficient speakers horns etc, might not necessarily be looking at buying a Topping amplifier. They would be more likely to use some tubes, possibly even triodes or single end of triodes , or maybe some Low/ zero feedback class A type products. No knock on the amp but just a nature of the hobby.

Also I understand this is an audio amplifier but is this really such a accomplishment what about instrumentation amplification don’t you think they’re able to do this also? In this instance they are designing obviously for a different application but with good circuitry and enough feedback…, this is an AB amp nothing revolutionary, isn’t that just good work but not groundbreaking?

What you request makes sense obviously more power and creature comforts would be nice but when the price gets up there, then the market share becomes even more limited. Might be a hard sell because at that point people are looking at boutique names possibly and might be a difficult market segment to crack.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Forgive me if I've missed it, but output impedance, especially bridged please?
<3mΩ Stereo, <5mΩ Mono. Source.
Edit: WolfX-700 measured the Zout as follows:
OI-1.jpg

Last edited:

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
1% THD @ 90W. Basically outperformed by any power amp.

At least it's gonna be fantastic for folks with desktop setups or small rooms I guess. Also for very sensitive speakers with active subs. Basically as always, use case dependent.

GeekyBastard

publicly humiliate
Someone really couldn't take a joke it seems, even though they made the joke happen themselves.

And your statement seems to be in vain since the cause of certain testing value was due to the limit of the testing instrument, not the reviewer himself.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
They should be fine. Music is not as demanding as test tones.
Well that might not be the case because if you drive it hard playing music it might not be very happy with too low an impedance load. What about reactive loads and difficulty to drive speakers? Amplifier just like people sometimes have a difficult time dealing with adversity.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
1% THD @ 90W. Basically outperformed by any power amp.

At least it's gonna be fantastic for folks with desktop setups or small rooms I guess. Also for very sensitive speakers with active subs. Basically as always, use case dependent.
Keep in mind that this is very close to the ABH2 power output for 1/3 the cost per watt.

Last edited:

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The review is here!!! Kudos @amirm for the stupendous review. Ear Bleeding performance for the price.

Just going to say this. This isn't about SINAD war and pushing the SINAD higher, this is literally delivering the best performance for the price at a fraction of the cost that majority of High-end audio manufacturers charge for 1/3 of the performance.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you know of something similar to the miniDSP flex but with BALANCED inputs and outputs? Does this come with a TRS balanced option?
Yes I do. The balanced version of the MiniDSP Flex (which I have ordered) :cool: And yes, it has TRS balanced.

(There is also a digital IO Version)

Bleib

Major Contributor
I remember the AHB2 having really ****** price per watt ratio. looks like the Topping L90 is just as bad (if not worse?)

Thank you for correcting me.
I think the Audophonics HPA-S400ET is the price / performance king at this point, despite requiring a preamp

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
@AdamG247 @BDWoody
People were very excited coming up to the launch of the LA90 and as a result we now have four active threads about this Amp.
One
Two
Three
Four (this one)

May I suggest either merging them, or locking the others and sending everyone over to this one?
Multiple threads (four) have been merged into this one. It’s a bit of a shitshow but at least the conversation is all in one thread. That’s what I get for sleeping in today. Holy moly you guys are excited about this! :oops:

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Will this amp fall apart or divide by zero if my speakers dip to 2 ohms?

GeekyBastard

Multiple threads (four) have been merged into this one. It’s a bit of a shitshow but at least the conversation is all in one thread. That’s what I get for sleeping in today. Holy moly you guys are excited about this! :oops:
Amir's review disappeared lol

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The review isn't at the top anymore.:eek:

Top Bottom