• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

deciding between audio phisic classic20, martin logan xt60 or kef r7?

mugecabin

hi guys
i own audio physic classic 20 runnig with primare pre power
i dont like the sound i get. i dont know which one to change ? the primare or the speaker?
will you give some advice?

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Before you change the speakers, are you running subwoofers and acoustic treatment for your room? A poorly optimized room or lack of good quality bass can make any system sound poor, regardless of cost.

Hard to go wrong with the KEF R7. Excellent engineering, neutral frequency response, good off-axis response. Although the KEF R3 deliver virtually the same performance when used with subwoofers.

Changing your amplifier or DAC makes little sense, the difference in inaudible 999/1000 times.

OP
M

mugecabin

I dont have subwoofers.
the sound I get is too flat. no excitement and a bit boring

alex-z

I dont have subwoofers.

The number one cure is add subwoofers then, and EQ to your speakers.

$300 gets you a miniDSP 2x4HD, and UMIK-1 measurement mic. That gives you the capability to properly measure your system response, high-pass the speakers, low-pass the subs, and then apply EQ so the overall response suits your taste.

As for what subs to buy, it would depend on your room size. Most people will find a pair of SVS PB-1000 Pro to deliver plenty of output, but some spaces need more, some less.

Beave

Major Contributor
Can you share a picture of how your speakers are positioned in your room?

OP
M

mugecabin

The number one cure is add subwoofers then, and EQ to your speakers.

$300 gets you a miniDSP 2x4HD, and UMIK-1 measurement mic. That gives you the capability to properly measure your system response, high-pass the speakers, low-pass the subs, and then apply EQ so the overall response suits your taste.

As for what subs to buy, it would depend on your room size. Most people will find a pair of SVS PB-1000 Pro to deliver plenty of output, but some spaces need more, some less.
is one subwoofer enough?

alex-z

OP
M

mugecabin

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-04-24 at 3.02.44 PM (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-04-24 at 3.02.44 PM (1).jpeg
    157.1 KB · Views: 234
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-04-24 at 3.02.44 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-04-24 at 3.02.44 PM.jpeg
    179.3 KB · Views: 231

Doctors11

As a quick experiment, try moving the speakers away from the corners of the room, ie, closer to the TV. Also pull them forward at least a foot. Any improvement?

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
That is a nice room man I love the blue upholstery.

If the Martin Logans are anything like their other speakers, they will be heavily sounded and not have a "good" frequency response at all. Now I like how they sound (I heard their Motion line years ago) but from an engineering perspective the KEF R7 will be the "best" speakers from your list.

I found some measurements of the Classic 20 here:

If these are true, the speakers sound very anemic I would say, there's not energy below 1khz. Confirms your impressions:

I agree with the other posters, learn to measure and EQ your system. I would not even buy subwoofers directly. See if you can EQ out these problems. No matter which speakers or things you get later, being able to measure and EQ will always be a big $/value improvement to your system.

F

freemansteve

Try moving the Kefs inboard away from the corners and forward from the rear walls.
Experiment with foam bungs in the rear ports when you get a pair of subs....

Beave

Major Contributor
i will when i get home

here it is

Thanks. That helps. Sometimes when people show pics, there are huge problems with the setup. Not the case here. It's reasonable (and a nice room!).

I do agree with the other suggestions to move the speakers in a little closer to center (a little more away from sidewalls).

Normally I would agree to pull them out a little more from the wall behind them, but in this case I might not agree. From the measurements above (which are consistent with two other sets of measurements I saw online from other sites), these speakers are a little tipped-up, ie, more output in the highs than the bass and lower mids. Sometimes in that case it helps to push them *closer* to the wall behind them. That can give them a little bass boost.

But in any case, just experiment some with placement and see how it goes.

Also, the EQ idea is almost always a good suggestion.

Also, just to try because it's free, place a large thick blanket on the floor in the middle, a few feet in front of the speakers. I wonder if that hard floor is too reflective and is causing some of your issues.

OP
M

mugecabin

do you thinl it is a good idea to replace my classic 20 with new classic 35??

Markmosk

Audio Physic speakers are designed to be placed exactly as they describe on their site. When I did that they sounded tremendous. Generally, their idea is put the speakers about 8-9 feet apart, out from the wall, and the sides, and to sit a foot closer to them, than they are wide. And they need a sub, even the models with 2 woofers per speaker.

Top Bottom