• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Peachtree Gan 1 beta testing sign-ups open

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
well, for US residents only, but it's 35% off MSRP:

interesting input tho :oops:

youpassbutter

Forum Donor
Very interested to see how well-implemented GaN amplifiers compare with Hypex and Purifi amps.

crowdypooster

I am fascinated with this GaN concept--I jumped into the beta test. Will see how it goes!

I will use the Node 2 as a streamer transport. The choice of streamer should not matter, correct? As long as the streamer has a coax digital out?

tbrobison

I am fascinated with this GaN concept--I jumped into the beta test. Will see how it goes!

I will use the Node 2 as a streamer transport. The choice of streamer should not matter, correct? As long as the streamer has a coax digital out?
I jumped onboard, too! Peachtree Audio's reputation is rock solid. I currently use their Nova150 in my 2 channel system and it's been a great intergrated amp. My only gripe is the volume control, but I mostly set it at halfway, then attenuate volume via the BlueOS app.

In answer to your question, coax digital out to GaN 1 is the only connection available. Your Node 2 will work. I have a Node 2i, but I ordered the new Node with the GaN 1. If you consider the full price of the Node at $600, that makes the GaN 1 a $1k, 200wpc amp! Sell off you current Node 2 to recoup some $$, and it's even a better deal, and a much better streamer.

Last edited:

crowdypooster

I jumped onboard, too! Peachtree Audio's reputation is rock solid. I currently use their Nova150 in my 2 channel system and it's been a great intergrated amp. My only gripe is the volume control, but I mostly set it at halfway, then attenuate volume via the BlueOS app.

In answer to your question, coax digital out to GaN 1 is the only connection available. Your Node 2 will work. I have a Node 2i, but I ordered the new Node with the GaN 1. If you consider the full price of the Node at $600, that makes the GaN 1 a $1k, 200wpc amp! Sell off you current Node 2 to recoup some $$, and it's even a better deal, and a much better streamer.
Good call. It does seem like a great deal. I think it will be another 6 weeks at least before it arrives. Excited to put it through the paces.

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No doubt it has a strongly load dependent frequency response just like the old Tripath class d amps and other early class d designs. Designs improved over the early attempts with post filter feedback and solved this problem. Nothing like wasting any possible improvements the new GaN devices could possibly offer by using old designs...Another marketing scam by the looks of it.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I really, really dont understand the logic behind these designs either. Zero feedback because you want to hear the "sound" of the GaN FET itself? Why?... just...why?!

It's a switching transistor. A chopper. The whole point of the thing is to keep the efficiency of the curcuit high, and load dependency low. The idea of disregarding good engineering practices in order to "expose" some weird undefined sonic qualities is so backwards, my brain is struggling to make any sort of sense of it.

tbrobison

Peachtree Gan 1 & Bluesound Node have shipped! Expected next week. Will report on it when I've set it up.

tbrobison

Good call. It does seem like a great deal. I think it will be another 6 weeks at least before it arrives. Excited to put it through the paces.
Still waiting for your Peachtree Gan 1, or are you listening to it now?

crowdypooster

An e-mail from Peachtree says mine should ship in the next 2-3 weeks. I might be lower on the list than others.

tbrobison

An e-mail from Peachtree says mine should ship in the next 2-3 weeks. I might be lower on the list than others.
Mine arrived yesterday. I'll set it up today and see what there is to see (hear).

tbrobison

Mine arrived yesterday. I'll set it up today and see what there is to see (hear).
So, I've finished setting up the Gan 1 and new Bluesound Node, and it sounds terrific! I'm running the Gan 1 through a pair of Tekton Electrons and I'm impressed! No real way to A/B the Gan 1 with the Nova 150 that was running the Tekton's up until now. All that matters is that it sounds awesome and I really like the new Node, which replaced a Node 2i. The Gan 1 @200Wts/pc matches my Electrons rated power of 200 Watts. So there's that.
I now have the setup that I've been wanting since we bought a Bluesound Powernode, last year, which runs a pair of, Fyne F302's in our studio apartment. Now, I basically have a "Powernode" on steroids, with the Gan 1 and Node. For me, it's minimalism nirvana. Finally!

crowdypooster

So, I've finished setting up the Gan 1 and new Bluesound Node, and it sounds terrific! I'm running the Gan 1 through a pair of Tekton Electrons and I'm impressed! No real way to A/B the Gan 1 with the Nova 150 that was running the Tekton's up until now. All that matters is that it sounds awesome and I really like the new Node, which replaced a Node 2i. The Gan 1 @200Wts/pc matches my Electrons rated power of 200 Watts. So there's that.
I now have the setup that I've been wanting since we bought a Bluesound Powernode, last year, which runs a pair of, Fyne F302's in our studio apartment. Now, I basically have a "Powernode" on steroids, with the Gan 1 and Node. For me, it's minimalism nirvana. Finally!
Great stuff. The Tektons are 4 ohms, correct? Any perception of loss/gain in high frequencies? I have heard that some of the GaN offerings out there are very load dependent in the higher frequencies. Any of the "popping" sounds between tracks with changing sample rates?

tbrobison

Great stuff. The Tektons are 4 ohms, correct? Any perception of loss/gain in high frequencies? I have heard that some of the GaN offerings out there are very load dependent in the higher frequencies. Any of the "popping" sounds between tracks with changing sample rates?
Yes, the Electrons are 4 ohms. Honestly, I can't discern any loss/gain in high frequencies. I've only spent a couple of hours listening, though. By, "when changing sample rates", do you mean like when a CD quality (16 bit/44.1kHz) track ends, and a 24bit/96kHz track begins? If so, I haven't done any testing yet. Most of my personal music is 16bit/44.1kHz, with a few 24bit/96kHz albums. I have them stored on a solid state drive plugged into the rear of the Node. I mostly stream from the Node and attached drive, but I also stream from my laptop, via Airplay2, to the Node, thence to the speakers. While streaming from my laptop (using Apple Music), I thought I heard a "click", or "tick", when I adjusted the volume via the volume adjust buttons on the laptop. I'll repeat it today and see if it's there. Other than that, the music sounds great!

tbrobison

Yes, the Electrons are 4 ohms. Honestly, I can't discern any loss/gain in high frequencies. I've only spent a couple of hours listening, though. By, "when changing sample rates", do you mean like when a CD quality (16 bit/44.1kHz) track ends, and a 24bit/96kHz track begins? If so, I haven't done any testing yet. Most of my personal music is 16bit/44.1kHz, with a few 24bit/96kHz albums. I have them stored on a solid state drive plugged into the rear of the Node. I mostly stream from the Node and attached drive, but I also stream from my laptop, via Airplay2, to the Node, thence to the speakers. While streaming from my laptop (using Apple Music), I thought I heard a "click", or "tick", when I adjusted the volume via the volume adjust buttons on the laptop. I'll repeat it today and see if it's there. Other than that, the music sounds great!
After testing with the keyboard volume buttons, there are no "ticks" or "pops", just dead silence, as it should be. As far as changing sample rates, the only test I tried was by switching from Radio Paradise's CD quality stream to their MQA stream. No pops when switching between these two. Their MQA stream is slightly louder than their CD quality stream.

I also tested the volume control, running it up and down quickly(with no music playing). Absolutely no audible sounds, so it seems that little niggle was corrected from Andrew Clark's initial testing.

Minimalism - When NOT playing music
IMG_0983.jpeg

Minimalism - When playing music
IMG_0982.jpeg

Usually, I only open the door 15°, or so, for ventilation. The small note taped to the door lists the 5 presets I've entered for those times when I just want to walk up, select and play.

I'm done upgrading for the foreseeable future. I wouldn't want anything more, and might even put the CD player in storage as it rarely gets used, leaving more room for liquor.

crowdypooster

Anyone else received the GAN1? I received mine last week. After several hours of diverse listening, I am very satisfied. I am using Zu Audio Dirty Weekends that are actually loaded with Druid Mk.IV drivers. Admittedly, these are not the best matched speakers for this amp (better suited for the SET application I think).

That being said, the GAN1 has no issue at any listening level, excellent soundstage, mid-range clarity, and great control of low-end. Does not seem to provide any color of any sort, as expected. I would see this is a good thing as long as it is matched with the right speakers.

I do not pretend to be a golden-ear audiophile, just a music lover that wants to hear the sounds as they were intended. The GAN1 gets me there.

PS I ordered the Node combo; I have several other digital sources, so I ordered this one. Out of curiosity. The experience has been excellent! I have it synced between my phone, my tablet, and my PC with the BluOS app, using Tidal and some local Flac files. Great listening experience.

Top Bottom