• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS50 Meta Review (Speaker)

Ata

Forum Donor
This has been discussed in quite a number of threads already, but worth mentioning again that KEF KC62 and KC92 price points are such that space needs to be at an extreme premium to justify them compared to alternatives such as the SVS SB1000Pro. Furthermore, KC92 appears to be almost same dimension and specs as the SVS sub at roughly 4x the price.

jrMes1

Hey people :)

I'm looking for a good amplifier for the kef ls 50 meta and subwoofer SVS SB1000 (not pro),

Can anyone recommend between $1000 and $1250?

I saw some reviews with Rega Elex with pre out with mini dsp (output to subwoofer), my local store is to poor to demos and low material, probably I will buy online.

I have a DAC Earmen Tradutto with rca and xlr output .

Can help me? Thank to everyone :)

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I'm looking for a good amplifier for the kef ls 50 meta and subwoofer SVS SB1000 (not pro),

I saw some reviews with Rega Elex with pre out with mini dsp (output to subwoofer), my local store is to poor to demos and low material, probably I will buy online.

VTV Purifi Eval 1 at $1139. Maybe the best amp period.

jrMes1

Get a $400 Audiophonics Hypex 252 and call it a day. Control volume at the preamp. Even better if your preamp has a 12v trigger. I use an AVR. Which, if you don't have bass management for the subs and room correction for the system, you should.
Thank you, But I need a output to subwoofer :/

And more thinker "if your preamp has a 12v trigger." what I need this? sorry I never used this, and I down know to use.

jrMes1

And about this

SMSL SA400 Balanced​

Output power2x 230W @ 4Ω
2x 110W @ 8Ω

This will a good option to me? because has input RCA and XLR, output subwoofer. Anyone has experience with this model?

Thank you for your supoort.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

jrMes1

The subwoofer output is done before the amp.

What do you currently have?
My current setup is DAC Earment Tradutto and subwoofer SVS 1000. This week is coming LS50 Meta, so the only thing is missing is the amp.

I look a lot of amps like the smls and rega elex, arcam online, my local store is to poor to demos and low material. So i will need the best advice.

don'ttrustauthority

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Bass distortion is unacceptably high for the price at 86 and at 96 db.

muad

Bass distortion is unacceptably high for the price at 86 and at 96 db.
And what exactly is acceptable levels of bass distortion? Link studies if you have them!

The ls50s give you something not found in other speakers... With the tradeoff being low end extension and hypothetically audible IMD. Sure you can get a speaker that does better in the low end, but you won't get near full range coaxial and a dispersion pattern like that. Pick your poison.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
My current setup is DAC Earment Tradutto and subwoofer SVS 1000. This week is coming LS50 Meta, so the only thing is missing is the amp.

I look a lot of amps like the smls and rega elex, arcam online, my local store is to poor to demos and low material. So i will need the best advice.
Some affordable integrated amps with good enough measurements (new or used) according to polish magazine and reviews here:
Denon pma 800ne
Nad c320 or c326
Pioneer a10 to A30
Yamaha as 501 or701 or older 700 with bit better specs
Or go with Hypex moddules with y splitter to sub

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

MiniDSP Flex + Hypex NC122MP (LS50s don't need the bigger 252)

Or

Denon AVR with XT32 + the same amp

As you can see I consider the amp a solved problem and don't like spending more money on it than necessary. The DAC and preamp should have proper bass management and equalization capabilities. There may be other combinations out there but these are popular. Please do not connect a subwoofer without using both high and low pass filtering or without EQ. This is a recipe for not being satisfied with the integration.

don'ttrustauthority

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
And what exactly is acceptable levels of bass distortion? Link studies if you have them!

The ls50s give you something not found in other speakers... With the tradeoff being low end extension and hypothetically audible IMD. Sure you can get a speaker that does better in the low end, but you won't get near full range coaxial and a dispersion pattern like that. Pick your poison.
Look at this:

13% of price, same performance just eq.

That's randomly the first no recommend, same distortion.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Look at this:

13% of price, same performance just eq.

That's randomly the first no recommend, same distortion.
Price doesn't defeat physics, ofc 2 5.25" midwoofers with no cutout for a tweeter are going to have lower distortion than a single 5.25" with a cutout.

The point of the LS50 Meta is not bass output, if that's really important to you then add or a sub or pick another speaker. It does a bunch of stuff that is unique to it and a very short list of also expensive and well-designed coaxials so it doesn't really make any sense to compare it the way you are doing.

MCH

Major Contributor

Your sub has low and high pass filter. You could use that if you want and a normal amp without sub out

jrMes1

Hello, Good morning,

I will try see your recommendations, I need to think in the future to my setup.

@Chromatischism
My dac Earmen Tradutto has output XLR, how can I connect to the MiniDSP Flex? (I saw this has balanced input)

jrMes1

My local store did a recommendation Audiolab-8300a, in your opinions this is good amp to LS50 Meta?

Gain29dB (20Hz-20kHz)
Input Sensitivity840mV (Power Out = 70W into 8Ω)
Input impedance15K // 100pF
Rated max power output THD < 1%2 x 75W RMS (8Ω) , 2 x 115W (4Ω)
(Vmains = 230V , THD < 1%)
Peak output current+/- 15A
Frequency response+/- 0.1dB (10Hz – 20kHz)
+/- 3.0dB (1Hz – 100kHz)
Channel Imbalance< 0.2dB (10Hz – 20kHz)
Total harmonic distortion (THD)<0.002% (Power Out= 50W @ 1kHz, BW = 20Hz – 20kHz)
Signal-to-noise ratio> 107dB (BW = 20 – 20kHz )
>109dB(A-weighted BW = 20 – 20kHz)

Thank you

Chrise36

Major Contributor
My local store did a recommendation Audiolab-8300a, in your opinions this is good amp to LS50 Meta?

Gain29dB (20Hz-20kHz)
Input Sensitivity840mV (Power Out = 70W into 8Ω)
Input impedance15K // 100pF
Rated max power output THD < 1%2 x 75W RMS (8Ω) , 2 x 115W (4Ω)
(Vmains = 230V , THD < 1%)
Peak output current+/- 15A
Frequency response+/- 0.1dB (10Hz – 20kHz)
+/- 3.0dB (1Hz – 100kHz)
Channel Imbalance< 0.2dB (10Hz – 20kHz)
Total harmonic distortion (THD)<0.002% (Power Out= 50W @ 1kHz, BW = 20Hz – 20kHz)
Signal-to-noise ratio> 107dB (BW = 20 – 20kHz )
>109dB(A-weighted BW = 20 – 20kHz)

Thank you
Same specs with what was suggested but higher price

jrMes1

From last 24h I read a lot of reviews, youtubes videos, and stuff technical, I have to much information. I don't have choice to test any amp before buy.

So with my setup (bookshelds and svs 1000, and dac, and looking to the future maybe CD player and Vinly).

I will see better the Rega Elex R and the audiolab 8300a.

If I choose separate pieces, probably I will buy the pre amp - mini dsp flex (looking to the future) with Audiophonics MPA-S125NC. Thank you eveyone. Lets see next 48h :)

Top Bottom