• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Creative Super X-Fi

OP
bunkbail

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
i got it and its amazing. i have tried atmos, thx spatial and hesuvi and nothing comes remotely close in terms of out of your head, concert-like sound. you need to hear it. everyone needs to hear it.
How does it fare for FPS gaming? I tried Dolby Atmos on Win 10 before, I kinda liked the widening effect it creates but the forced resampling to 48 KHz made everything sound grainy and less detailed. HeSuVi never worked properly for me. Also does it work with IEMs?

erhm

How does it fare for FPS gaming? I tried Dolby Atmos on Win 10 before, I kinda liked the widening effect it creates but the forced resampling to 48 KHz made everything sound grainy and less detailed. HeSuVi never worked properly for me.

i dont know i dont game. but i think the directional positioning is softer. for instance in stereo the sound comes directly into your right ear and only your right ear so you know its right. thats stereo. used to be cool. but in sxfi its from the general right. its out of your head so its like listening to a concert. jimmy page is standing on the right side of the stage but both your ears hear it but you know its coming mostly from the right. thats what sxfi is. but with stereo jimmy page is standing next to you playing his les paul right into your damn right ear. i think in gaming the latter is better. but for music listening the former is waaaaaay better. its like being being at a live show.

OP
bunkbail

bunkbail

Forum Donor
i dont know i dont game. but i think the directional positioning is softer. for instance in stereo the sound comes directly into your right ear and only your right ear so you know its right. thats stereo. used to be cool. but in sxfi its from the general right. its out of your head so its like listening to a concert. jimmy page is standing on the right side of the stage but both your ears hear it but you know its coming mostly from the right. thats what sxfi is. but with stereo jimmy page is standing next to you playing his les paul right into your damn right ear. i think in gaming the latter is better. but for music listening the former is waaaaaay better. its like being being at a live show.
What headphones are you using with it? Aurvana Live?

erhm

What headphones are you using with it? Aurvana Live?

b&o h9i on the plane. awesome for movies. bose sport earbuds for the gym. im debating whether to get a high end headphone but im thinking this things makes a cheap headphone = to a high end. i think this thing does what an audeze or hd800 is trying to do. i have never listened to audeze or hd800 but all this talk about soundstage must be a joke as the sound must be in your head. this out of your head thing is amazing. the guy who mentioned hesuvi has no idea what he is talking about. husevi is low budget compared to this.

OP
bunkbail

bunkbail

Forum Donor
b&o h9i on the plane. awesome for movies. bose sport earbuds for the gym. im debating whether to get a high end headphone but im thinking this things makes a cheap headphone = to a high end. i think this thing does what an audeze or hd800 is trying to do. i have never listened to audeze or hd800 but all this talk about soundstage must be a joke as the sound must be in your head. this out of your head thing is amazing. the guy who mentioned hesuvi has no idea what he is talking about. husevi is low budget compared to this.
So it does work with non-certified SXFi headphones. Interesting.

erhm

yeah i got mine off ebay plugged into a PC. its awesome lol. i have not even done the ear mapping yes as the app is not out yet for iphone. i am waiting for the creative air headphones. but this amp is awesome without mapping and works for any wired headphone. i want to hook it up to an audeze and see what it does. dude if you are into sound you got to get this. when the word spreads everyone will listen to sound this way. i showed it to my friend who is negative on everything and he was blown away.

makes a great xmas gift im thinking.

OP
bunkbail

bunkbail

Forum Donor
yeah i got mine off ebay plugged into a PC. its awesome lol. i have not even done the ear mapping yes as the app is not out yet for iphone. i am waiting for the creative air headphones. but this amp is awesome without mapping and works for any wired headphone. i want to hook it up to an audeze and see what it does. dude if you are into sound you got to get this. when the word spreads everyone will listen to sound this way. i showed it to my friend who is negative on everything and he was blown away.

makes a great xmas gift im thinking.
Some people said on other forums that it is much better suited for non-audiophiles because it tends to mask the nuances in the music and most people won't notice it. But these talks about it making everything sound less detailed really put me off.

erhm

Some people said on other forums that it is much better suited for non-audiophiles because it tends to mask the nuances in the music and most people won't notice it. But these talks about it making everything sound less detailed really put me off.

yeah im not an audiophile. maybe they have super sensitive ears but thats not me. i just like music. i used to hate headphones as they were harsh on the ears. now i prefer headphones to regular speakers. im listening to youtube right now and its like the sound is coming directly out of my screen but its a friggin headphone. seriously forget the audiophiles. this recreates a speaker system. what you may lose in 0.001% detail you gain in a 3D soundstage. the sound image is like 12" in front of my face.

OP
bunkbail

bunkbail

Forum Donor
yeah im not an audiophile. maybe they have super sensitive ears but thats not me. i just like music. i used to hate headphones as they were harsh on the ears. now i prefer headphones to regular speakers. im listening to youtube right now and its like the sound is coming directly out of my screen but its a friggin headphone. seriously forget the audiophiles. this recreates a speaker system. what you may lose in 0.001% detail you gain in a 3D soundstage. the sound image is like 12" in front of my face.
The thing is I'm a detail freak :). I'd still buy it but only for gaming if it works better than Atmos. I guess I'll wait for more reviews about it on gaming.

erhm

i dont know about detail but the audiophiles says it loses detail so i guess. but if you are into warmth and depth and realism this is the way to go.

bennetng

Major Contributor
Some early measurements with RMAA: https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/117428833-post2.html
They show pretty bad noise levels and abysmal crosstalk amounts.

For the effect, you should try before buying if you can. Some people like it, some do not.
From reviews it doesn't seem to work well for everything, some samples are more adequate than others.
Of course during the CES demo they chose the perfect samples and played sweep tones with in-ear mics instead of a generating a mapping from pics.
So the reviewer agrees with Creative's claimed THD+N, IMD and crosstalk for unloaded test but not SNR?

I am also pretty impressed in a way that the reviewer's Xonar STX card can get 0.00051% THD (without N). I rarely see this number when Archimago was using a Focusrite Forte as the test ADC.

That's what he got with some USB dongles and bigger-sized DACs.
http://archimago.blogspot.com/2017/06/measurements-audioquest-dragonfly-black.html
24-96_Summary.png

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
I am also pretty impressed in a way that the reviewer's Xonar STX card can get 0.00051% THD (without N). I rarely see this number when Archimago was using a Focusrite Forte as the test ADC.
Stereophile got -116 dB of predominantly 3rd harmonic for the STX input back in the day, that's 0.00016% or thereabouts. The ADC (CS5381) is specified at -110 dB THD+N, 0.00032%. The part may be over a decade old at this point, but it definitely is not a slouch, and the Xonars have traditionally had very low distortion (but also rather low impedance) input stages.

The SXFi looks a bit disappointing. It must have some board layout issues. 100 dB of dynamic range is generic China DAC territory (pointing towards high jitter caused by rail noise or decoupling issues), and crosstalk points towards the better part of 150 mOhms of shared ground resistance, only a fraction of which can be explained by the headphone jack. (Channel separation of 40 dB with a 16 ohm load actually still is easily acceptable, but leaves little headroom for shared cable return resistance at this point. It would require about a 2% boost of L+R or reduction of stereo separation to 98% to compensate. Yes, reduction, as the crosstalk is out of phase, favoring L-R over L+R.) I wonder how they got over 2 Vrms out of this, I imagine there's an external headphone amplification stage running on at least +3.3 V with the typical internally generated negative supply.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Couldn't a crossfeed be modded in foobar2000 for any headset to simulate speaker audio space? Like a meier crossfeed?

http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/crossfeed.htm

There are crossfeed plugins for foobar and they definitely help, but what this is trying to do is a bit more advanced.

I use the Isone component from TB Bustools. Besides the frequency dependent crosstalk it has other adjustments to calibrate to your personal HRTF. If you want to us it for mixing or something is also allows you to simulate a variety of room and speaker types as well but but for just listing I winf it sounds best with the room simulation off and the flat speaker preset.

The Super X-Fi seems to be trying to calibrate itself to you head and ears automatically with pictures of your head.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They idea of generating an algorithm by analyzing pictures of a person's head/ears is pretty cool but it neads to calibrate to the headphone too and I didn't see anything about that.
Yep, 100% sure. Tweaking sound by DSP only based on your ears and face but not on the headphone used is 100% nonsense and 200% BS, nothing less... :facepalm:

Archaea

I'm surprised every time I hear someone say this thing works great. I signed up for a pre-order because I was very enamored with the Smyth product when I demoed it at Axpona. I was hoping, from positive press that this would be a mini Smyth. Mark Henniger from AVSforum even promoted it as such based on his experience with their product launch demo and the inner ear measurements.

Well the photograph version of this does't work - or at least doesn't work for my face/ears.
I've tried it with Sennheiser HD-598, HD650, Phillips SHP-9500 and X2-HR and the related DSP match in the software.
All sound like crap. I must have tried to capture my face and ear pictures a dozen times in hopes something was wrong. It's still wrong. I tried two different android phones too - just in case it was the phone camera. My friend tried mapping his head with his Google Pixel phone and he thought it was garbage too.

It works fine, even great perhaps, as simple PC headset amp IMO. That's what I use it for, and the only reason I kept it, but the spatial sound function is crap. In surround mode it sounds like the cheapest 'home theater in a box' system you could find in a k-mart clearance isle, played back in a small tile bathroom. It's worthless for almost anything except just turning it off and using it as a compact little stereo headset amplifier. Since it's USB it removes any ground noise that you might get otherwise by plugging into a sound card or front audio port on your PC. For that usecase, it's size, and it's convenience, it gets an A. It seems powerful enough for any of the headphones I've tested with plenty of headroom to spare. For instance I usually am in the mid 30 range (of 100) on the windows PC volume meter with my headphones.
But for surround sound representation, it's so bad it's not even worth the time it took me to write this review.

Last edited:

Nemo

Forum Donor
I got this device at launch, which included one of the certified headphones.

With the DSP "ON" the voices sound recessed and artificial with their own headphones, my HD600 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitors. I find the effect amusing enough for (some) movies, but it is certainly not High Fidelity by any stretch of the imagination.

My phone (OnePlus 5T) still has a headphone out, but I know my next phone will not have one, and I will probably use it as an external DAC until it fails.

rxp

Been using my SXFI for a year. It's now ruined listening to music for me from both my R300 and LS50 setups. There's something I really like about the sound it "projects". The image is huge and lively - tons of room reflections. My own rooms are regular home small rooms. I did really used to enjoy listening to my LS50 setup in my office especially where everything is setup for a single sweet spot but recently music was laking. I donned my Philips Fidelio 2XR or Creative Aurvana's and used SXFI and boom I was transported to a much better (musical) listening environment.

I can immediately tell the tonealty is right using something like the Philips which tracks Harman pretty close. You just turn SXFI off and on - nothing sounds off just a sound that goes from in your head to a wonderful stage in front of you.

The algorithm doesn't always get it right though - some of the computations for me don't work and the sound is still a little in my head. But I noticed recently most of the photos I take now calculate the same sound - so I guess they improved it. The only thing I do wish they did was offer different virtual rooms. A movie one, which is deader would be much better. For movies I use Impulcifer to simulate my real systems, sounds far better.

I do get why it's not popular though - many of the odd idiosyncrasies I noticed with Impulcifer apply here. With impulcifer I can be absolutely convinced that the sound is identical to my real speakers in the same room I took them in. However, when at a cafe (pre COVID!) and trying to use the same BRIR it sounded horrible. It's similar to SXFI - unless I'm actually sitting in my listening chairs in front of my speakers in a big room it won't sound good. In front of my desk it really doesn't sound great. Brain expectations are weird.

bennetng

Major Contributor
Top Bottom