• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Using XLR Y adapter from 1 DAC to 2 amps?

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
All things being equal it should not cause a problem. The input impedance of both amps *should* be sufficiently high to not load the dac in any onerous way. If you can check the specs of the amps and see what the input impedances are. If they are in the k ohms (I would be very surprised if they werent) then no problem.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
I want to use my RME ADI-2 DAC to 2 different amps, one SS other is tube hybrid, any concerns using a Y cable?

Logically, you need two sets : one Y cable for the L and one for the R channel.

The two amps are not going to be ON at the same time, right ? If YES, you are "asking" to your DAC to drive two loads in parallel, if that is the case it's better you double check the two added impedances of the amps.
If instead you simply halve the signal you will be fine.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Just using a Y cable should not significantly affect the signal level to either amp as @March Audio said above. The source impedance is usually low, in the 100-ohm to 1k-ohm range, and load impedance usually high, maybe 10k or more for a SS amp and 50k~100k for a tube amp.

For inputs it depends upon the internal circuit, but most inputs are left high-Z when off and can be safely plumbed (connected). Some discrete circuits (and potentially op-amp circuits but that would be unusual) may exhibit lower impedance and nonlinear behavior when driven whilst turned off, but again I expect that to be rare. (But I have had it happen to me in the past; YMMV.)

Edit: Outputs are a different beast and I would never Y two outputs together unless I knew it was OK or I had provided some sort of isolation between them (like a resistive summer circuit). The off one could load the on one, bad things can happen, etc.

Last edited:

BurritoJustice

Forum Donor
Top Bottom