• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Moondrop Blessing 2 Review (IEM)

Rate this IEM:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 15 6.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 99 44.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 106 47.7%

• Total voters

nyxnyxnyx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is there a way we can somewhat measure the "speed" of sound from different driver types (BA vs DD for example)?
The only thing I know that might correlate to it is CSD, but sometimes there are headphones or IEMs that have similar CSD but the perceived speed or sound decay can be different (unsure if it's uncontrolled placebo or actually real and reliable).

Vict0r

Fiio FD5: Crinacle: C+ vs Amir: "great"
Moondrop Blessing 2: Crinacle: A+ vs Amir: "fine"
As with anything, in the end, you have to decide for yourself if something suits you.

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also, the first hybrid IEM reviewed at ASR, here are crinacle's measurements for reference:
So a logical follow-up now shall be - what Moondrop itself calls - "tribrid IEM" - Variations in-ears with dynamic/BA/electrostatic drivers combo :)

And later some multi-multi BA IEMS just to complete reviews variety or to uncover another myths maybe :p (like: "The 64 Audio A18t are the world's first Custom IEMs with 18 balanced armature drivers per ear...)

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Moondrop Blessing 2 IEM. It was sent to me by Shenzhenaudio and costs US $320.

I have yet to hear an IEM with good sub-bass. Response of the Blessing 2 was better than average (with EQ) but still very far from any over the ear headphone.

Very happy to see you reviewing IEMs - I think Rference Audio is the only other site doing comprehensive distortion, group delay, etc. so just about every other review is FR + a high school creative writing essay.

I really liked the Blessing 2, but as you say the sub-bass just wasn't there. I haven't tried nearly as many IEMs as I have headphones, but the only ones I've found that can really deliver sub-bass are Sony's IER-Z1R. The M7 and M9 were also good, but my subjective impression is: unless you're a bass fanatic Moondrop or Thieeaudio are a better value.

If anyone knows of some more cost-conscious options that can convince you there's subwoofers in your ear like the Z1R can, I'd be interested to know?

Maiky76

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Moondrop Blessing 2 IEM. It was sent to me by Shenzhenaudio and costs US $320.
View attachment 198183
Blessing 2 feels substantial in hand without being overly large. The tips included are silicone and rather thin. This made it harder to mount on my headphone fixture but worked very well for my ears.

Note: The measurements you are about to see are made using a standardized Gras 45C. Headphone/IEM measurements by definition are approximate and variable so don't be surprised if other measurements even if performed with the same fixtures as mine, differ in end results. Protocols vary such as headband pressure and averaging (which I don't do). As you will see, I confirm the approximate accuracy of the measurements using Equalization and listening tests. Ultimately headphone measurements are less exact than speakers mostly in bass and above a few kilohertz so keep that in mind as you read these tests. If you think you have an exact idea of a headphone/IEM performance, you are likely wrong!

Moondrop Blessing 2 Measurements

Let's start with our usual dashboard and special target for IEMs:

View attachment 198184
When I first measured these, I thought they had target Harman curve but my fitment was wrong given the small differences. Then I read up and it seems they have their own tweaked target they call VDSF (diffused target of sorts). Variations from Harman target were small so I was very curious as to its audibility (see listening test section). Relative response shows how small the variations are:

View attachment 198185

I was dismayed to see the same distortion which we saw in another BA driver IEM:
View attachment 198186

I worked on qualifying this in listening tests.

View attachment 198187

Impedance is low and a bit variable:
View attachment 198188

Sensitivity is on the low side meaning you need more power to drive it:
View attachment 198189

Group delay is clean and uneventful:

View attachment 198190

Moondrop Blessing 2 Listening Tests
First impression was, "hey this is quite good and doesn't need changing." Experience shows however that absolute evaluation is not truthful. So I developed an EQ based on differences with our target curve:
View attachment 198191

AB testing quickly showed that the sound without EQ was thinner and a bit harsh. It would be fascinating to have a formal study of this to see where preference lands in blind test as the difference is small and is two flavors of good sound.

With EQ in place, the fidelity was startling good at times. The level of detail was amazing during some periods. I then cranked up the volume some and noticed distortion in upper bass with some subtle ticking. Push it harder and it compresses, refusing to get louder and and become more congested. Mind you, this is at totally unhealthy listing levels but shows you that the distortion measurements are accurate and predictive.

I have yet to hear an IEM with good sub-bass. Response of the Blessing 2 was better than average (with EQ) but still very far from any over the ear headphone.

Conclusions
Without EQ, the response of Blessing 2 is close enough to our target to beat out performance of vast number of speakers on tonality! With EQ, it becomes even better, with warmer, and less harsh sound. It can't handle ear bleeding levels but maybe that encourages you to not go there. We are talking about last bit of refinement and performance not being there.

I am going to recommend the Moondrop Blessing 2 especially if you use it with Equalization.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Here are some thoughts about the EQ.

Notes about the EQ design:

• The average L/R is used to calculate the score.
  • The resolution is 12 points per octave interpolated from the raw data (provided by @amirm)
  • A Genetic Algorithm is used to optimize the EQ.
  • The EQ Score is designed to MAXIMIZE the Score WHILE fitting the Harman target curve (and other constrains) with a fixed complexity.
    This will avoid weird results if one only optimizes for the Score.
    It will probably flatten the Error regression doing so, the tonal balance should be therefore more neutral.
  • The EQs are starting point and may require tuning (certainly at LF and maybe at HF).
  • The range around and above 10kHz is usually not EQed unless smooth enough to do so.
  • I am using PEQ (PK) as from my experience the definition is more consistent across different DSP/platform implementations than shelves.
  • With some HP/amp combo, the boosts and preamp gain (loss of Dynamic range) need to be carefully considered to avoid issues with, amongst other things, too low a Max SPL or damaging your device. You have beed warned.
  • Not all units of the same product are made equal. The EQ is based on the measurements of a single unit. YMMV with regards to the very unit you are trying this EQ on.
  • I sometimes use variations of the Harman curve for some reasons. See rational here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pro-review-headphone.28244/page-5#post-989169 NOTE: the score then calculated is not comparable to the scores derived from the default Harman target curve if not otherwise noted.

• Occluding IE devices generally must have very good fitting/seal in the user's ear canal for best performance.
    please spend a few minutes to pick up the best ear tip... Be sure to perform this step otherwise the FR/Score/EQ presented here are just worthless.
  • 1. more bass = better seal
    2. More isolation from the outside world = better fit
    3. Comfort

Perfect L/R match.

I have generated one EQ, the APO config file is attached.

Score no EQ: 78.6
Score Amirm: 90.5
Score with EQ: 97.1

Code:
Moondrop Blessing 2 Full APO EQ Flat@HF 96000Hz
April072022-170340

Preamp: -0.0 dB

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 33.61 Hz Gain 2.32 dB Q 0.83
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 223.72 Hz Gain -2.75 dB Q 1.08
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 564.29 Hz Gain 0.96 dB Q 1.33
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 1369.27 Hz Gain -2.47 dB Q 1.19
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 2964.03 Hz Gain -1.07 dB Q 4.22
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 6133.86 Hz Gain -2.97 dB Q 1.80

Moondrop Blessing 2 Dashboard.png

Attachments

• Moondrop Blessing 2 Full APO EQ Flat@HF 96000Hz.txt
    385 bytes · Views: 124

Vict0r

Very happy to see you reviewing IEMs - I think Rference Audio is the only other site doing comprehensive distortion, group delay, etc. so just about every other review is FR + a high school creative writing essay.

I really liked the Blessing 2, but as you say the sub-bass just wasn't there. I haven't tried nearly as many IEMs as I have headphones, but the only ones I've found that can really deliver sub-bass are Sony's IER-Z1R. The M7 and M9 were also good, but my subjective impression is: unless you're a bass fanatic Moondrop or Thieeaudio are a better value.

If anyone knows of some more cost-conscious options that can convince you there's subwoofers in your ear like the Z1R can, I'd be interested to know?

I remember an old IEM that was quite infamous for its subwoofer-esque bass; the Fischer Audio Eterna. They were popular in the Berlin DJ scene for a while for their visceral bass slam. This was back in 2010, I think? Something like that.

1-2.jpg

Fischer Audio Eterna Rev.2 - raw.png

staticV3

Master Contributor
That's some truly awful channel matching if it's really L/R that the graph is showing.

Vict0r

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

The "Crinacle approved/ tweaked " variant, the Blessing 2 Dusk has that bass lift and better overall compliance with the target. Not sure how the extra bass would play with the distortion though.

For my money, with the right fitting tips the Blessing 2 shape is perfect for my ears- sit just right.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I nearly bought an Ety ER2SE as an import from the USA as super good deals over there, and I don't own any IEM's....interest sparked by the reviews here, but I really don't want to keep pushing wax further into my ear (working against the human bodies natural conveyor belt from eardrum to earlobe - skin growth). Fears of lack of soundstage and higher distortion are also factors for me not pulling the trigger yet, I suppose it would be interesting to try a good value but good measuring pair.
The deep insertion needed for Etys would be just about the worst choce or IEM type based on your concerns. Ones more like this pair (where the shell sits in the cup of your ear and the silicone tip blocks your ear canal more than intruding a cm or so into it might be far better. The Starfield would be a sensibly priced intro into the Moondrop harman compliant line for you.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Finally some Moondrop tests here too! IMO Aria, Kato and Variations are their best sellers and "must test", if possible, that is, if the manufacturer or someone lends them for review.

Thanks!

mightycicadalord

Hopefully to see how good are 10 to 100$ IEM.

I look forward to the Shure se215's being trashed, because those are probably some of the worst IEM's I've ever heard. I can't believe they still sell them and haven't bothered to update them to something that doesn't sound so bad.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Drewspin

Do you think there is greater / lesser listener sensitivity to the perceived degree to which a headphone approximates the Harman curve as between IEMs and cans? In other words, with IEMs vs cans is the listener more or less aware of deviations from the "ideal"?

Frequent lurker, seldom post.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you using the IEM target when tuning them? When the IEMs can take the required boost I don't think they lack sub-bass, compared to my adjusted HD650s.

Severian

Forum Donor
I'm not a big IEM guy, but I seem to prefer dynamics to BA. I have the Moondrop Starfields and they're one of the best-value audio products I've ever owned. They sound shockingly good by any standard and made me reevaluate my opinion of IEMs.

Top Bottom