• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mackie HR824 MK1 Studio Monitors: Factory Anechoic + In-Room Measurements

turbotuff

Forum Donor
I have four original Made in USA Mackie HR824 monitors so I figured I should do some measurements on them to see how consistent the factory calibration is on them. Two of the speakers are from 1999 and two are from 2000. I've attached an overlay of my 4 speaker measurements trying to keep levels and positioning as consistent as possible in my very acoustically imperfect room(small). I'd say they are pretty consistent between each other!

I've also found two of the original factory anechoic calibration sheets that I posted for fun!

PXL_20210208_182608207.jpg

IMG_20210207_171610.jpg

IMG_20210207_171607.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Employee at Mackie: How much smoothing do you want boss?
Boss: Yes.

frankrcarter

I was using 3 of these as LCRs in my basement theater and they sounded great. I now use a pair at my office desk. They beat the snot out of the JBL LSR305/308, but they should considering the original price range. These a hidden gem on the used market.

OP
turbotuff

turbotuff

Forum Donor
I was using 3 of these as LCRs in my basement theater and they sounded great. I now use a pair at my office desk. They beat the snot out of the JBL LSR305/308, but they should considering the original price range. These a hidden gem on the used market.
Agreed. They have tons of clean power and from the tests I've seen, they measure very well. I got one pair for $225 and one pair for $325. Nothing touches them for the money IMO

Last edited:
OP
turbotuff

turbotuff

Forum Donor
Employee at Mackie: How much smoothing do you want boss?
Boss: Yes.
Here's what Ethan Winer had to say regarding to the smoothing of these specific Mackie calibration certificates:

"I doubt there's a lot of smoothing. Look at the octaves between 5 and 10 Khz, and between 10 and 20 KHz. There's a tiny ripple that could possibly be 1/6th octave smoothing, but surely not 1/3rd. And maybe not even 1/6th."

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I inherited a pair of those from a late colleague. Compared sighted with my K&H O300D bassgoes slightly deeper but somewhat soft. Imaging is much less precise but soundstage is wider. Playing mono tracks hence makes much more fun with the Mackies.

Seen overall I could easily live with them if my K&Hs die beyond repair and I cannot afford a pair of KH310 as replacement.

ferrellms

I have four original Made in USA Mackie HR824 monitors so I figured I should do some measurements on them to see how consistent the factory calibration is on them. Two of the speakers are from 1999 and two are from 2000. I've attached an overlay of my 4 speaker measurements trying to keep levels and positioning as consistent as possible in my very acoustically imperfect room(small). I'd say they are pretty consistent between each other!

I've also found two of the original factory anechoic calibration sheets that I posted for fun!

View attachment 112015
View attachment 112017
View attachment 112018
View attachment 112016
I have hr624 mk ii. Compared to my genelec 8040s , as neutral, will play louder, less precise mids and image, but only slightly , for the money better.

roci_big_ear

Wow, Behringer not only cloned the speakers with their B2031A, they also cloned the individual calibration sheet. And then copied the ports and front face from Genelec 1031a.

al2002

Forum Donor
Shhhhhh!!! Guys, some matters are simply not fit for public discussion. Please refrain from saying nice things about the 824. It is a cheap active speaker designed for the home studio market. Take it from someone who has owned a set for 20+ years: it lacks any audiophile credibility whatsoever .:cool:.

Would the moderators kindly lock or, preferably, delete this thread before second hand values skyrocket. :p:p.

Last edited:

ooheadsoo

Forum Donor
Shhhhhh!!! Guys, some matters are simply not fit for public discussion. Please refrain from saying nice things about the 824. It is a a cheap active speaker designed for the home studio market. Take it from someone who has owned a set for 20+ years: it lacks any audiophile credibility whatsoever .:cool:.

Would the moderators kindly lock or, preferably, delete this thread before second hand values skyrocket. :p:p.
These were my dream speakers back when I first had a budget to get into audio, but it was too much of a stretch and I never did end up getting a pair. They will always have a place in my speaker adventure memories.

Citizen

Well I managed to get a set of three of these in a job lot sale, they do function but are in an awful state, the previous owner had painted the cabinets with a thick and horrible gloss paint, so much so that I nearly destroyed the box trying to get the drivers out, the aluminium face place was stuck fast, there are two complete speakers and one with the main low driver missing, the amps, tweeters and passive radiators all seem fine but the one of the low drivers has splits in the rubber surround and both are missing dust cap, but they did sound good, the dust caps provide a seal so they did not have the low bass I remember them having, I am going to try and repair but parts are like rocking horse poop, anyone know where to get spares or should i start another thread to ask for help, have loads of good quality pics of me taking them apart.

Digby

Major Contributor
I'd be interested to hear impressions of the difference between MK1 and MK2, if anyone has heard both. I think the first didn't have a passive radiator and the second did, if I'm correct in my thinking.

OP
turbotuff

turbotuff

Forum Donor
I'd be interested to hear impressions of the difference between MK1 and MK2, if anyone has heard both. I think the first didn't have a passive radiator and the second did, if I'm correct in my thinking.
Incorrect. The MK1 also had a passive radiator and were all made in USA. I believe the MK2 was made overseas.

Citizen

Incorrect. The MK1 also had a passive radiator and were all made in USA. I believe the MK2 was made overseas.
I think there were only two official revisions and then it switched to the MR moniker, I have three mk1's right here and two have different tweeters, I think there were a few unofficial revisions or maybe just part number changes on the mk1 model, they dropped the passive radiator after the mk2 model.
HR824 tweeter numbers.jpg

OP
turbotuff

turbotuff

Forum Donor
I think there were only two official revisions and then it switched to the MR moniker, I have three mk1's right here and two have different tweeters, I think there were a few unofficial revisions or maybe just part number changes on the mk1 model, they dropped the passive radiator after the mk2 model.View attachment 284238
Early MK1s did not have an RCA input either.

Top Bottom