• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

Bleib

Major Contributor
Nice, have not seen that error thought but i dont play loud or have demanding headphones. Will wait until some ppl in this thread can confirm the update works without issue until i update.
Well, I've updated and do not notice any difference.
(Used windows 11, turned the DAC on and simply ran the update, it was quite quickly done)

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For those who ordered this from Apos, roughly how long did it take to arrive? I ordered this on 5th March, and I see in the tracking that it was just handed over to the airline yesterday!

aromig

Considering getting some headphones that have an impedance of 13 ohms. Reading these seems like I should still be able to get roughly a watt of power before clipping?

Looks like it would be closer to around 275mw. That's guessing the graph is showing about 1.8 Vrms at 12 ohms, and then nudging it to about 1.9 at 13 ohms. Even if we went with 2 Vrms (which it would clearly be less) that would be a hair over 300mw.

Last edited:

SanojS

Unfortunately, my Topping malfunctioned a few days ago :( One of the display segments doesn't light up. I'm going to get it fixed/replaced.

As for the sound - I like it very much. I can't tell any difference between E30 and DX3 Pro+ in a blind test (not that I should, given the top-class measurements).

View attachment 192847
I have the exact same issue, also when I turn the volume knob it doesn't always work and sometimes skip.
Not impressed with the quality of this unit... Bad first impression with Topping build quality.

Attachments

• IMG20220322153056.jpg
    IMG20220322153056.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 254

ds810

Looks like it would be closer to around 275mw. That's guessing the graph is showing about 1.8 Vrms at 12 ohms, and then nudging it to about 1.9 at 13 ohms. Even if we went with 2 Vrms (which it would clearly be less) that would be a hair over 300mw.
Well that's quite a bit less but still probably more than I'll ever need.

dreamscene

I have the exact same issue, also when I turn the volume knob it doesn't always work and sometimes skip.
Not impressed with the quality of this unit... Bad first impression with Topping build quality.
You still can't get Euro / Japan quality with Chinese branded and made products. They are getting better but in 2022 you still get what you pay for especially as raw materials and chips are getting so expensive. The days of buying an electronic gear and using it for decades are well over, it's a throw away society now and products are designed to the lowest cost with 'acceptable' lifetime of at least a few years. Also the problem with online reviews relying on charts and diagrams (and also kickbacks from manufacturers), these issues are rarely reported in reviews. Reliability woes and issues usually can be researched on a product around 4-6 months after release and digging through online discussion forums like this. I saw the display issue reported after I made my order and it was too late to cancel, that is why I went into the settings and disabled the display so they don't burn out as a precaution the moment I got the unit and set it up. Plus the display is so glaringly bright and is a distraction anyway.

Last edited:

DarrylG

You still can't get Euro / Japan quality with Chinese branded and made products. They are getting better but in 2022 you still get what you pay for especially as raw materials and chips are getting so expensive. The days of buying an electronic gear and using it for decades are well over, it's a throw away society now and products are designed to the lowest cost with 'acceptable' lifetime of at least a few years. Also the problem with online reviews relying on charts and diagrams (and also kickbacks from manufacturers), these issues are rarely reported in reviews. Reliability woes and issues usually can be researched on a product around 4-6 months after release and digging through online discussion forums like this. I saw the display issue reported after I made my order and it was too late to cancel, that is why I went into the settings and disabled the display so they don't burn out as a precaution the moment I got the unit and set it up. Plus the display is so glaringly bright and is a distraction anyway.
I didn't know you could disable the display. That's a definite plus.

dreamscene

I didn't know you could disable the display. That's a definite plus.
I know it's exciting to get a new piece of tech gear but it's a good idea to read the manual first before switching it on. Because the setting menu is difficult to navigate due to a lack of buttons, most people ignored setting up their systems properly. I even have my bluetooth switched off so it consumes less power and reduces heat buildup.

Igor01

Carefully! The latest update (DX3Pro+ version V1.23) "unloads" other people's audio drivers from the PC in Windows 10! Please make an additional system restore point before installing it.

haen

Unfortunately it seems that the volume knob is a weak point in this specific DAC. I wrote about my problems with it before, and have seen other users reporting it as well in this thread. I got another unit from Shenzhen Audio which works much better, but still occasionally skips a step here and there. Fortunately no issues with display so far. Ignoring for a moment this little... disappointing volume knob I'm generally happy with all other aspects of the device.

As I wrote about my problems to Topping directly hopefully they can find some better parts/mechanism for future devices/revisions.

Miiman

I know it's exciting to get a new piece of tech gear but it's a good idea to read the manual first before switching it on. Because the setting menu is difficult to navigate due to a lack of buttons, most people ignored setting up their systems properly. I even have my bluetooth switched off so it consumes less power and reduces heat buildup.
Thanks for the info. I did not know that the A-setting actually turned off the display. I assumed it would Be bright and then dim a bit so did not bother to test it but turning off the display after 30s is great, less distracting because i have it under my TV screen. BT i also turned off now, as you said, probably less heat and maybe even less noise (not that its noisy but less electric noise is in circuits the better).

Toku

Major Contributor
why are you worried? having more than twice the price tag, it's no better than DX3Pro+. SINAD/DR is marginally improved but having huge ESS hump. The price also include the MQA tax as well.
I'm an engineer so I'm interested in the evolution of audio technology

audiofun

I'm an engineer so I'm interested in the evolution of audio technology
There's nothing new in the DX5... The digital part (xmos+cpld) is the same as an E50. The analog part (I/V, output buffer, etc) is also the same as E50. the hpa is the same as DX3Pro+'s (which is a trim down version of their A90 amplifier released 2 years ago).

audiofun

Only main advantage of DX5 appears to be its balanced outputs https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/topping-dx5/
1) DX3's internal circuit is fully balanced, you can simply mod it by removing the last lpf buffer. Topping's other balanced offerings (D10Balanced, E50, etc) do the same.
2) Even simpler than 1), you can just get a RCA->XLR cable, and put a 20Ohm resistor between pin 1 and pin 3, and you get true balanced signals.
Then you have a much better, balanced DAC+Amp combo that costs less than half price of DX5.

phoenixsong

1) DX3's internal circuit is fully balanced, you can simply mod it by removing the last lpf buffer. Topping's other balanced offerings (D10Balanced, E50, etc) do the same.
2) Even simpler than 1), you can just get a RCA->XLR cable, and put a 20Ohm resistor between pin 1 and pin 3, and you get true balanced signals.
Then you have a much better, balanced DAC+Amp combo that costs less than half price of DX5.
Interesting and good to know this from people like yourself :) General consumers without the necessary electrical knowledge like me will probably use and review the product as is. Are there any risks of shorting/unhealthy voltage/current levels by doing so, however?

audiofun

Interesting and good to know this from people like yourself :) General consumers without the necessary electrical knowledge like me will probably use and review the product as is. Are there any risks of shorting/unhealthy voltage/current levels by doing so, however?
if you choose method 2) it's extremely safe and there will be no disadvantage. it's called "impedance balanced" and many professional audio equipments are wired this way. it has all the nice properties balanced output has, such as common mode noise rejection, ground loop elimination, etc.
See the table in http://www.paformusic.org.uk/gl_b.htm#Balanced

The maximum output is 2V instead of 4V. if you don't listen at that high volume a lower voltage is even better.
This means even DX5 has 6 db higher dynamic range, because 4V is 6db hotter than 2V, DX3Pro+ has the same low absolute noise level as DX5.

The RCA to XLR connector is easy to do: connect RCA+ to XLR Pin 2, RCA ground to XLR Pin 1, and a 20Ohm resistor between XLR pin 1 and 3. Then you're all set.
The method works because the 20Ohm resistor is exactly what DX3 Pro+ has in its final output circuit.

Here's the wiring from google image search:
4DbwNgy.png

(please replace the 100 Ohm to 20Ohm)

See it in action:

RCA_XLRcable_dk.jpg

If you want to apply this solution to another unbalanced product, you have to change the resistor value.
In some rare cases, you need to get the DAC output circuit and copy more passive components to Pin3 as well.
Fortunately for DX3Pro+ only a 20Ohm resistor is needed.

Conclusion: If you don't need full 4V output, just stay with your DX3 Pro+. It's trivial to make it balanced.
Don't purchase DX5 for its balanced output.

Last edited:
Top Bottom