• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel F208 Tower Speaker Review

thorvat

I'm a bit perplexed. The F208 speakers are much better than the F12 speakers by a wide margin. The perplexing part is why? It is obvious in 30 seconds or less of listening to them. The F12 is a good speaker, far better than some costing twice as much in my own sighted uncontrolled listening comparisons.

In similarly uncontrolled listening, the F208 sounds much cleaner like a fuzzyness I never noticed surrounded the F12. The F208 also engaged the low end of my listening room a bit differently when positioned in the same spot as the F12. The F208 had a bit of an upper bass dip followed by much more bass firmness below 50 hz.

The F12 did imo have a bit of a hooded or capped off quality to the treble. What was there was good, but it seemed as if it didn't really quite respond all the way to the top. The F208 has none of that sounding clean, extended and airy in comparison. Worth noting I'm old enough my hearing doesn't go all the way to the top itself. One of my friends after hearing the F208 a few minutes said he was impressed with how open and clean it sounded all the way around especially in the treble.

So sounding like one of the high end audio wags, the F208 is cleaner, more transparent, more dynamic and has a much more cohesive quality top to bottom (excepting that upper bass dip which repositioning helped with).

I probably should take some time and do some detailed in room measurements to see what stands out. I've just enjoyed listening to them tremendously since getting them which reduces my motivation for investigating at the moment.

If there is any interest and he isn't overwhelmed I might take one to HardisJ for measuring on his Klippel. I don't live a tremendously far distance from him. It would be nice to know the spin-o-rama of the F12 to compare to the F208. It maybe all of this is due to the very slight uneven response of the F12 vs the F208. The F208 in general has one of the better spins Amir has come across thus far.

No doubt F208 is more capable speaker than F12, so let's try to raise the bar higher for it. :)

As a proud owner of this excellent speakers you may find this comparison interesting:

Capture.JPG

Red curve is Estimated in-Room response of F208 as measured/calculated by Amir, and green is the same curve from the same author but belonging to F328Be.

Similarity in response above 200Hz is astonishing, wouldn' you agree? :cool:

Now, for the difference in response below 200Hz it would be interesting to hear @amirm comment as probably something has changed in the way he measured each oh these speakers.

For the comparison, here is official spec of the LF extension from the manufacturer site:

F208 LF specs:
Low-frequency extension24Hz (-10dB); 26Hz (-6dB); 35Hz (-3dB)

F328Be LF specs:
Low Frequency Extension-10dB@23Hz, -6dB@27 Hz, -3dB@31Hz

amper42

Major Contributor
The listener detected difference in FR response between F208 and F328Be will be minimal compared to the increased definition added by the three F328Be 8" Ceramic Composite aluminum drivers, 5.25" midrange, Be tweeter and increased sensitivity. If you put the F208 and the F328Be side by side you will notice the difference but most will walk away understanding the value offered by the F208 is significant.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pio

thorvat

If you put the F208 and the F328Be side by side you will notice the difference but most will walk away understanding the value offered by the F208 is significant.

Would people really notice the difference? Has such blind test been performed? :)

I believe that F328Be respresent some sort of improvement over the F208, but is it really audible?

The other question, of course, is if it is worth the difference in price..

amper42

Major Contributor
The combination of superior drivers, higher sensitivity and increased displacement create an audible difference. Some may look at FR response and think it tells the complete story. In my experience, that has not been the case. As to whether the sound difference is worth the price that's an entirely different equation. Many people think a boom box is good enough and the F208 is crazy extravagant. I can't possibly guess what might be worthwhile for an individual. :D

In my case, I really enjoy the Revel F328Be in a larger room, but in a 12' x 13" office I'm totally happy with the BMR Monitors, the NC502MP amp and the RME ADI-2 FS DAC. Each of us will find our favorite path.

Last edited:

thorvat

The combination of superior drivers, higher sensitivity and increased displacement create an audible difference. Some may look at FR response and think it tells the complete story. In my experience, that has not been the case. As to whether the sound difference is worth the price that's an entirely different equation. Many people think a boom box is good enough and the F208 is crazy extravagant. I can't possibly guess what might be worthwhile for an individual. :D

You haven't really answered my question: is it your belief that the difference between these 2 speakers is audible or you are aware of the blind test result that proves it?

Predicted in-room response/FR certainly doesn't tell the complete story, so let's add comparison of the Early Reflections DI to the story. Remarkably similar again, wouldn't you say?

Capture1.JPG

thorvat

The F208 do really represent amazing value for money. Not something usually said about monitors costing south of £6k.

They certainly do. Now, IMHO F328Be indeed does a few things slightly better - app 3dB better sensitivity and slightly lower THD in LF region, to name 2 of them apparent from the measurements. But considering a huge price difference one must aks himself how audible is this really?

Higher sensitivity won't help much at "normal" listening levels at which speakers are blindly tested and lower THD at LF will probably pass unnoticed even for the trained listeners as our ears are simply not sensitive to it. As all 5 spinorama curves are virtually identical, as well as THD above 100Hz, it is hard to think what exactly is to make an audible difference between these 2 speakers..

amper42

Major Contributor
They certainly do. Now, IMHO F328Be indeed does a few things slightly better - app 3dB better sensitivity and slightly lower THD in LF region, to name 2 of them apparent from the measurements. But considering a huge price difference one must aks himself how audible is this really?

Higher sensitivity won't help much at "normal" listening levels at which speakers are blindly tested and lower THD at LF will probably pass unnoticed even for the trained listeners as our ears are simply not sensitive to it. As all 5 spinorama curves are virtually identical, as well as THD above 100Hz, it is hard to think what exactly is to make an audible difference between these 2 speakers..

To me the F328Be difference is the Be tweeter smoothness and the amazing punch available with three 8" ceramic bass drivers and matching midrange. This design is especially exciting with electronic music, Jazz, hard driving drum sets and the like. Here are a few tracks that blow me away on the F328Be.
The Saga of Harrison Crabfeathers - Brian Bromberg
Trampoline - Melt album - SHAED
Differently - Unusual album - Marian Hill
Eyes Wide Open J:Kenzo
Outro - Home Album - Rhye
Bubbles - Wandering Album - Yosi Horikawa
Quicksilver - Silver Album - Fourplay
The link Alive - Gorjira - Drum solo

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I suspect that would make them particularly ideal for anyone dealing with a less-than-ideal listening environment (Sal1950 ;)).
Thanks for the hint and a good write-up on the Genelics.
Things are improving here with the help of some room treatments.
I haven't posted anything on my systems thread yet but I'll give you a quick look.
I'll list the details when the changes are complete. ;)
IMG_3074.JPG

thorvat

To me the F328Be difference is the Be tweeter smoothness and the amazing punch available with three 8" ceramic bass drivers and matching midrange. This design is especially exciting with electronic music, Jazz, hard driving drum sets and the like. Here are a few tracks that blow me away on the F328Be.

I'm sure you're enjoying your Be's as they are extremely capable speakers, but the question here is would the difference vs F208 be audible in the blind test, as practically all measurable parameters that matter to audible difference are virtually the same.

Dgob

Just to say that, despite my love for the brilliance of the F208's, I have now been helped by Genelec support team to optimise my 8361A's. And there is no real comparison any more. The Genelecs are simply ridiculous and, at a mere (irony intended) $10,000, represent absolute value for money. 'End game' speakers.

So a huge "thank you" to Amir.

Last edited:

Pio

Forum Donor
The Geny's are amazing. They've been making great speakers for years, I have a 1994 vintage pair of 1031's. A few years ago. I almost bought a pair of 8031's but I went with the JBL Pro 708P instead. They were very close (to my ears) but the 7 series had an advantage on dynamic compression. I use those at work.

I use the F208 / C208 in my home theater set up, they're great for what I use them for there.. along with 3 12" subs and a couple of JBL surrounds, they get the job done. I can't wait for a processor that doesnt suck.. seems all the ones Amir tests are just rubbish. I use a Marantz 7705 w/ the 5 channel power amp, and can't wait to upgrade.. I want a next gen pre/pro and 3 AHB2's to run the speakers...

My reference / dedicated room has AHB2's / HPA4 and JBL 4367's (which is basically the passive x-over version of the JBL Pro M2). I have considered going Geny 1238 or M2 in that room.. but.. really happy with how it sounds now.

If you're on instagram, check out my page: @home_pro_audio

Let me know if your on social, would love to follow you!

Cheers!
Pio

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Geny's are amazing. They've been making great speakers for years, I have a 1994 vintage pair of 1031's. A few years ago. I almost bought a pair of 8031's but I went with the JBL Pro 708P instead. They were very close (to my ears) but the 7 series had an advantage on dynamic compression. I use those at work.

I use the F208 / C208 in my home theater set up, they're great for what I use them for there.. along with 3 12" subs and a couple of JBL surrounds, they get the job done. I can't wait for a processor that doesnt suck.. seems all the ones Amir tests are just rubbish. I use a Marantz 7705 w/ the 5 channel power amp, and can't wait to upgrade.. I want a next gen pre/pro and 3 AHB2's to run the speakers...

My reference / dedicated room has AHB2's / HPA4 and JBL 4367's (which is basically the passive x-over version of the JBL Pro M2). I have considered going Geny 1238 or M2 in that room.. but.. really happy with how it sounds now.

If you're on instagram, check out my page: @home_pro_audio

Let me know if your on social, would love to follow you!

Cheers!
Pio
Enjoyed pics from your Instagram.

Seem to have similar taste in speakers, music and beverages.

Chris

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I can't wait for a processor that doesnt suck.. seems all the ones Amir tests are just rubbish. I use a Marantz 7705 w/ the 5 channel power amp, and can't wait to upgrade.. I want a next gen pre/pro and 3 AHB2's to run the speakers...
I take it you're expecting a big increase in sound quality? I wish you luck but fear you'll be disappointed. .

Your current multich Revel-JBL are great speakers, but if you really want to boost sound quality on the multich rig, get 5 more 4367s. That'll make your ears perk up.
JMHO

Pio

Forum Donor
I take it you're expecting a big increase in sound quality? I wish you luck but fear you'll be disappointed. .

Your current multich Revel-JBL are great speakers, but if you really want to boost sound quality on the multich rig, get 5 more 4367s. That'll make your ears perk up.
JMHO
You’re right.. but better specs will be the excuse the feed the need for new gear..
I truly wish I had the room for a 4367 based HT..

Astoneroad

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm in Vegas and the closest Revel dealer, that actually stocks them, is a 6 hour drive. I've never heard the F208s, but after following this forum and Amir's review, I'm on the verge of buying a pair unheard. I understand the perils of this. I've suffered those perils previously, shamefully more than once, yet the options seem to be that, or loving what I got... which I do by the way. I found a dealer who will freight them all in for $4300 brand new. I figure that any pair that I buy, I need to add $500 in freight, for some dealers also tax which amounts to another $300. So my current rationalization is that I'm paying $3500 for them, plus shipping and tax. I have nothing but respect for you guys and your input. So, what are your thoughts on any or all of these considerations? Thanks in advance.

amper42

Major Contributor
I'm in Vegas and the closest Revel dealer, that actually stocks them, is a 6 hour drive. I've never heard the F208s, but after following this forum and Amir's review, I'm on the verge of buying a pair unheard. I understand the perils of this. I've suffered those perils previously, shamefully more than once, yet the options seem to be that, or loving what I got... which I do by the way. I found a dealer who will freight them all in for $4300 brand new. I figure that any pair that I buy, I need to add $500 in freight, for some dealers also tax which amounts to another $300. So my current rationalization is that I'm paying $3500 for them, plus shipping and tax. I have nothing but respect for you guys and your input. So, what are your thoughts on any or all of these considerations? Thanks in advance.

The Revel F208 is a great speaker. I wouldn't have much worry about buying them new without an audition. Don't expect them to sound as good as they are rated on ASR but better than just about every other speaker in this price range. If I was the buyer, I would start a private conversation on ASR with @amirm and get a quote from him. If the price I already had was better than Madrona_Digital I would go with it. I think you will like the Revel F208 a lot. I'm super happy with my Revel towers. Have fun!

Lsc

Revel will drop ship it to you for $0 freight. If you are factoring in $500 freight, whoever is selling you the speakers is just pocketing that money.

I know this because I have bought F228Be & a Voice2 in the last 2 years and there was zero cost in freight. I was going to buy a S16 (lower cost speaker and I may or may have not had to pay $50 as there appears to be a minimum purchase amount).

Also the F208 is a very very good speaker as I had them for 7 years before I upgraded to the F228Be. The F228Be was clearly better but at this point we are looking are marginal improvements. Still the F228Be is a more comfortable speaker to listen to when having extended listening sessions. But if you never listened to both side by side over an extended time, then you’d never know….and the F208 is really really good.

I don’t think I can comment on price and Revel has raised their prices last year so I’m not sure what the going rate is.

amper42

Major Contributor
Revel will drop ship it to you for $0 freight. If you are factoring in $500 freight, whoever is selling you the speakers is just pocketing that money.

I know this because I have bought F228Be & a Voice2 in the last 2 years and there was zero cost in freight. I was going to buy a S16 (lower cost speaker and I may or may have not had to pay $50 as there appears to be a minimum purchase amount).

Also the F208 is a very very good speaker as I had them for 7 years before I upgraded to the F228Be. The F228Be was clearly better but at this point we are looking are marginal improvements. Still the F228Be is a more comfortable speaker to listen to when having extended listening sessions. But if you never listened to both side by side over an extended time, then you’d never know….and the F208 is really really good.

I don’t think I can comment on price and Revel has raised their prices last year so I’m not sure what the going rate is.

If you are paying retail or close to it, Revel will certainly ship for free from it's warehouse. However, if you are buying from a dealer who has the F208 in stock, the dealer will end up paying for shipping. Even if Revel direct ships to the customer on a dealer purchase - they will charge the dealer a small shipping fee. So, if you negotiate 35% to 40% off the $5500 retail F208 price don't be surprised when the dealer wants to charge a reasonable fee to be reimbursed for the Revel dealer shipping charge. :D

Top Bottom